UKRCM Rolling Road / Trackday Weekend?

Well mine's never snapped sideways when I've stamped on the brakes, so I admit, that'd be a bloody shock hehe! It stops from 100mph in 96 metres, (which is quicker than the Highway Code stopping distance from 70mph by the way hehe!) and again, as I wouldn't wanna hurt the car I wouldn't be taking stupid risks, so if I was braking that late, from that speed, I'm sure that it would be a fast enough corner for that to be ok :-)

Reply to
DanB

Oddly you know dude, I was taking the piss...

But thanks for explaining how track days work, I thought we all got a number and contact was acceptable :-)

I know you're not timed or anything but it wouldn't be natural for us all to not have a bit of friendly banter, a few little jibes to anyone who was really slow an stuff hehe :-)

Reply to
DanB

What does that have to do with me not being able to take part?

Reply to
DanB

I don't get it? You changed civilisation to 'Liverpool' ?

I hope you only mean Pete wants it in Liverpool and not that Liverpool is any kind of civilisation?

;-)

Reply to
DanB

And I also aren't keen on the idea of a full county of southerners being nearer to me...

Reply to
DanB

What? You claim that the European Capital of Culture is not civilisation?

Mind you, the culture I associate with Liverpool is the sort of culture one gets from a swab of the foreskin.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The dyno is down in deepest Kent.

If I can get a minimum of ten of us up for it, I can get us a rate of £30 per car, and for this you get two runs on the dyno and a nice shiny wipe clean laminate printout of the results.

What we *could* do, is work it as a weekend thingy maybe, whereby we organise it for a weekend when there just happens to be a trackday on at Lydden circuit as well.

I'm almost the proud owner of another 106 GTi, so I'd be taking that along... although if I can get the brakes up to spec on the Passat, I wouldn't mind doing one session in that to see just how quick I could get it round the track compared to more focused stuff.

Anyway... just thought I'd see if there was enough serious interest to organise something.

********************************************************* I'd be interested depending on dates. Would be good to see what sort of power my little engine is pushing out in its highly modified state of tune! Not sure about a trackday though - my gearbox is a bit fragile. Although I guess I could bring the 106 too :)
Reply to
Carl Gibbs

On a track most cars do not snap out of control under (heavy) braking but when riding a bit too wide, getting on the dirty side of the road or after clipping a cerb /putting a wheel o the grass. Changing direction mid-corner because a faster car dives by and takes your path also ends often in a spin.

Your car may stop in 96 m from 100 MPH, a tirewall stops the same 100 MPH-vehicle in 2m. Grass doesn't slow down much and neither does the graveltrap if you are airborne above it.

On trackdays ego must not come into play: it's not a race, you're there for thrills/fun and the machinery on tracksdays is too different. I for one will never engage in a tussle between a (fast) roadcar and a dedicated racecar (may have half of the power of the road car).

The racecar superior tires and suspension will keep it on the black stuff while the roadcar brakes seem to be destined to overheat and then suddenly fail after 3 to 4 fast laps. You really don't want boiling brake fluid when steaming to a 50 mph-corner at twice that speed.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I'm sorry, I don't know any more ways to say "I wouldn't be pushing it too hard because I don't want to wreck it". I did four, virtually consective laps of the Ring (stopped after lap 2 to let mates out hehe) only pushing it as hard as I would on a trackday, which isn't too hard and probably miles from the limit, and nothing overheated, or faded, or broke, and that's like,

45miles or something in total? I'm not saying they can't fade/overheat/break I'm just saying that as hard as I'd dare drive on track didn't make any of that happen :-)

Obviously, if someone punts me off or something, or loses it and takes me out too, there isn't much I can do, but I do know I can drive hard enough to have loadsa fun, not kill the car, and not crash. And I'm sorry I don't have a racecar or a racecars tyres.

I'm aware it's not a race etc, as I keep saying, I was just taking the piss, which seemed to be obvious to everyone else but you an Dervy hehe!

Reply to
DanB

Fuck you and your girlie French shopping trolley.

We all know my 75 and huge track-day experience would see me lapping you within a few laps :-P

Reply to
SteveH

Well I wouldn't get too close behind you, I wouldn't want oil film and engine coolant over my front end ;-)

Reply to
DanB

To be fair, I spend so much time sideways on the track, you'd have f*ck all chance of getting past me..... the oil and coolant would be the least of your problems. Tyre smoke brings visibility down to a few inches :-P

Reply to
SteveH

I'll pass both of you in my American Joy Wagon.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You've bought a proper car to replace the Exploder, then?

Reply to
SteveH

Heh I blame I'm full of cold* and am grumpy and have lost my sense of humour. Sorry.

Ya I'd miss the Ka if that happened. Instead the 9-3 will understeer when parked up.

We could also laugh at somebody welding their handbrake on too! :)

*nerd 'flu...
Reply to
DervMan

How many horseys in that girly handbag of yours?

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm sure Mrs F has told you many times that it's not what you have, it's what you do with it that counts. :-P

Reply to
SteveH

%steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I suspect Conor's going to win that particular willy-wave...

Reply to
Adrian

Pah, mebbe.

Reply to