want a 200+bhp toy

It was a couple of years old, and AFAIK had decent tyres on it. Didn't check though.

Do you not roll backwards down the hill then :D?

Reply to
Doki

I love mine (Vamp's old one) to bits. It looks stunning (IMHO), handles fantastically, has a sweet rev-monster of an engine, but due Toyotas clever trickery in the inlet manifold it has perfect manners idling around town. If its a second car space wont be an issue, but it still has a fair bit - lots of little cubby holes in the cabin, space behind the seats for lobbing stuff (normally coats/jumpers etc), a boot in the front and a boot in the back. Front boot is mainly taken up by spare wheel, but i use it to keep some tools, first aid kit, warning tianglle, tow rope etc. The back boot is a good size still. We found that it was perfect for a weekend away - ie holdall, big sleeping bag, pillows, crate of beer, and some shoes in the rear boot, and off we went.

You can easily pick up a fairly good car for under a grand. Mine was £700 from Vamp which i think was a good deal. Little bit of rust here and there, but i've fixed all of that now, just needs repainting in the right colour (rather than primer!). And i've enjoyed doing it becuase when i've finished the car should look a lot better (from a distance anyway :)).

Not too bad. Obviously the engine is in an arkward place, but with a set of ramps its not too bad. Its 20 years old now so nothing is that complicated on it anyway, easy enough for a DIY kind of affair. And there's plenty of guides/advice on the web telling you how to do stuff.

However there are some bad ones out there (mainly rust issues), so do some research

is a good place) if you go look at some. But the good thing is theres always pletny of second hand parts about!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

nothing to add but glad your happy with the car, miss the little thing a bit as it was a good drive, i'm admin on imoc now :) just sorting it out and i should have admin rights by the end of the week :) 1 of 7 admins

Reply to
Vamp

bit as it was a good drive,

rights by the end of the week

Be afraid, be very afraid....

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Well maybe he's a 'spacker'... or maybe he's just not too good at coming up with something reasonable to utter out his arse, when in fact the car has probably revealed a major defect that's going to cost shedloads to sort, now nobby has had a chance to get someone who knows what they're looking at, to look at it.

YMMV, but that's what it smacks of to me, given what you've said.

In fact, I reckon, given the rad problem, it's probably got a head gasket failure on its way... a known issue on these, IIRC.

Reply to
JackH

seems like the reaction given on imoc so far :)

Reply to
Vamp

In which case, you're sat on a hill, with the clutch in, and the brakes NOT on.

So you roll down the hill ?!?!?

Reply to
Nom

What the hell are you talking about ?

:)

Can you start again with the "hill-holder clutch" please - I think you've gone mad :)

Reply to
Nom

Insurance, Insurance, Insurance.

Long gone are the days of young people in properly fast cars :)

Reply to
Nom

ROFL

ROFL

Reply to
Nom

In article , snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbtconnect.com=20 spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Yep, a Skoda nut mate had one that he used for hauling Skoda rally parts=20 back from CZ to the UK.

Things like trade price brake parts were in the hundreds, and he needed=20 at least one CV, and was quoted by a friend in the business =A3900 for a=20 front CV fitted, and about =A3700 of that was parts.

--=20 Carl Robson "Sorry Sir the meatballs are orf" (The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)

Sleeker GT Phwoar

I say he's a spacker based on previous communication in the forum, not on the fact that he's selling his car ;).

It is, but in this case the radiator has let go in quite a substantial way from the sounds of it and he claims to have stopped it before it cooked. It's 50/50 whether there's a head gasket problem, but a hell of a lot harder to check with no radiator.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Right: Holding the clutch pedal down keeps the brakes applied.

It's on lots of Subarus. Some response to the American market, where they weren't used to manuals - the automatics obviously don't have it, and some of the other models lack it - the only consistent thing I can think of is that manuals with a dual range transfer box have the hill holder in my experience.

Problem is that it rarely stays adjusted to match the biting point of the clutch, so it hangs on for longer as the clutch is applied, making burning clutch smells.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

I assume this only kicks in if you push the clutch pedal down with the brakes already on. Otherwise it would be fun each gearchange.

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

Brakes, then clutch simultaneously ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Really ?

So it applies the brakes every time you change up a gear ?!?!?

Why on earth would anyone want that ?

I don't quite understand where the benefit is ?

If you want to stay still when you press the clutch, then you're supposed to put the handbrake on !!!

Are you sure yours wasn't just bust ?

ie, hydrolic clutch, sharing brake fluid reservoir, and you had a leak somewhere so the clutch was receiving brake pressure ? Or something along those lines ?

Reply to
Nom

Jesus.

Reply to
Doki

Me too! Great fun on wet roundabouts....

Reply to
Pete MC

Well yeah, but a new 330Ci probably weighs about a tonne more than an E30!

Reply to
Pete MC

"Hydrolic"

It's a Subaru thing - google for "hill holder clutch" and plenty of info comes up. Sounds utterly useless.

Reply to
Doki