You are all going to slate me for it, but I quite like this.

Have to agree with you on this one. I might not go as far as a diesel supermini, when you can get a full-sized diesel for so little these days, though.

Good call on the house, though - it sounds like a fairly pikey area where he currently lives, but it has to be worth a reasonable amount.

I looked at prices around where my mum and brother live a couple of weeks ago, 'cos my mum was kind of thinking about downsizing - a 1930s built 3-bed semi with garage and drive big enough for 3 cars comes in at around £130k - and that's only a few miles from where he lives.

Flog the LS, buy a 500 quid oil burner, put the grand or so towards a house moving fund.

Reply to
SteveH

Surely in that case fixing a couple of decent bike engines* into a nice light bodyshell like, say, a Dolly Sprint (presumably with Herald steering so it can go round corners) would be even more fun?

  • 4WD...
Reply to
PCPaul

With that money and effort, I'd just buy a woman.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Got one of them. Didn't have to pay to get her.

But Jaysus I'm paying now ;-)

Reply to
PCPaul

Couple of the Retro Rides guys have built Rover V8 Dollies and loved them.

Reply to
Elder

That is the downside, either you are working through the access hatch under the passenger seat, or up on ramps/hoist.

But at least we got it slightly better.

The US spec previa has the access hatch under the passenger seat too (other side), so all you see is the rocker cover.

At least on ours you can see the engine and gearbox dipsticks to check levels. Don't know how you are supposed to do it on the US ones.

Reply to
Elder

Dealers will order parts for these, as a) it doesn't have a lexus chassis number (which they aren't allowed to look up even with the Toyota badge) b) the engine/box/mechanicals are all used in various other toyota models.

There are people who sell the same parts in the UK at less than a dealer anyway.

Reply to
Elder

Got to stick up for Carl here, where he lives isn't that bad!

Reply to
conkersack

Mini-vans are great! I had access to a Dodge Caravan a few years ago, and it was pretty useful. Loads of head-room, dead easy to get and out of, nice bit of leg-room & could get loads of shit in the back. It wasn't the fastest thing ever - 3 litre V6 though, so it'd keep up on the highway. It was also reliable enough, never went wrong in the time we had it. It also had a column-mounted gear selector, which was brilliant - looks like that one in your post does too. The best bit about them is the space for big drivers!

Reply to
conkersack

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Elder, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Which is the correct way to do it. That Stag V8 is an abortion.

Reply to
Pete M

Where did you get that from?

Not quick, but comfy and capable. Who cares if it will only do 100, if my daily average is 17, and when I get a run I tend to cruise at 60-80?

They about 35-38 to the gallon according to real use experience.

And they will run on just about anything a diesel can burn in various blends. So, what is 35mpg, on a diesel/SVO blend price of about 75p a litre, legal.

Reply to
Elder

Galaxy Quest.

That has been *bugging* me for ages but I dare not ask!

Reply to
DervMan

Just in my opinion but it would look better as standard...

Reply to
DervMan

Tis true. One of the nicer normal terraced areas, despite there being some pikey=20 rental properties, those for sale are going at =A3100k+ for a 2 bed=20 terrace.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Feeder-Dove Grey Sands

Elder

Yes, column mounted auto shifter, and plenty roomy. All the good bits of an urban 4x4, with all the good bits of a van, with all the comforts of a car, but lacking a little in sprint performance. OK, so it won't win a grandprix but it will keep up with traffic at UK speeds, and it will crawl in drive when things grind to a halt.

Reply to
Elder

Well Triumph managed it quite succesfully, so your point seems a bit odd.

( I'm thinking the 1300 and 1500 engines, not the 1850 or Sprint.)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Weren't they pushrod, 8v units, though?

I don't think you'd get a modern twin-OHC 16v lump in there without cutting the bonnet and fitting a bulge.

Reply to
SteveH

If you like it, get it.

As long as you can tolerate the looks from others whilst stuck in traffic which will inevitably be saying.

"Poor sod, he's shagged his way to five kids, so he needs a people carrier. Not only that, but they're costing him so much to feed and house that he had to buy an old one at that."

Now, you, me and the rest of the world know that this isn't the case, so why on earth get one. You will want to drive for the sake of driving in your tenure of it, and that's just not going to be possible.

Diesel - fair enough. Auto - absolutely, I'm with you. Seven seats ? Why ?

4WD on a strictly road going wallowing barge ? Again, why ?

You need a quality motor with a decently grunty engine and an autobox.

Feel free to disagree vehemently

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Trailer......