3.73 gears..

No no no no!!!!

See my reply to Mike...

Don't worry Kate, I still luv ya.. ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Kate, this doesn't work well on the GT version of the T-45. See my reply to Mike.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

NOBODY had a speedo gear for my car. Only electronic stuff. My speedo is

*exactly* 5mph off at speeds lower than 60mph... dunno a/b above b/c I didn't take her that high yet (and won't until after 100 miles). I can "smell" the gears breaking in I think. Could be just me. *shrug*. 3.73 gears w/ new bearings installed... used havoline 80w90 gear lube to break the gears/bearings in. The gears are worth every penny already & I haven't even stepped on it. Reverse is FAST.. caught me off guard. Almost reversed into traffic from Pro Speed. I can get great gas mileage now too... I can actually cruise @ 1300-1400rpm in 5th going 45-50mph.

-Mike

<memset

I went to dealer (didn't read this first) & they didn't even have one. Just

2.73 & 3.27 speedo gears.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I might be, and I am more then likely mistaken, but can't you change the gear ratio in the computer using a higher end scan tool??

I wan to say 98 was the first year for that, but I can be mistaken.

Brandon

Reply to
indi

Oh man! really! Tom, they don't put the same tranny in the cars? I could have totally fugged him up if you hadn't stepped in.

*phew*

Kate

| Kate, this doesn't work well on the GT version of the T-45. See my | reply to Mike. | | - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | Tom | | 1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue | K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, | P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, | Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels |

SVTKate
*wink* thanks for the save Tom

| No no no no!!!! | | See my reply to Mike... | | Don't worry Kate, I still luv ya.. ;) | | - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - | Tom | | 1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue | K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, | P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, | Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels |

SVTKate

Mike did you catch this other part of the post...???>

read the following. | > Oh and from when I had mine installed they gave me this instruction sheet. | > -------------------------------------- | >

| > Proper break in of ring & pinions | >

| > All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from | > overheating. After driving the first 15-20 miles you MUST stop and let the | > differential cool for 30-40 minutes before driving. Drive the first 500 | > miles gently before towing or hard driving. Tow very short distances (less | > than 10-15 miles) and let the differential cool before continuing the next | > 50 miles. | > To extend the life of ring & pinion bearings it is recommended to change | the | > gear oil after the first 500 miles of driving. This will remove any metal | > particles or phosphorous coating that has come from the new gear set. Use | > only high quality name brand gear oil and maintain the correct fluid level | > at all times. positraction units require anti-friction additive. | >

| > ANY overloading or overheating can cause the gear oil to break down and | the | > ring and pinion can fail or can contribute to a shorter life span of the | > differential. | > ----------------------------------- | >

Reply to
SVTKate

Nope, not 'til 1999 models.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

It's the same tranny with different external mounting points and a different internal drive gear. The Cobra version utilizes a 7-tooth internal gear while the GT version uses an 8-tooth.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Tom

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

I've been pampering them for nearly 300 miles now. Getting hard to keep off the gas.

I'm going to go buy Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil today. I plan on driving it easy for another 200 miles today & getting the good stuff in the rear-end & stomping all over it today. I can't wait!!

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Mike, you are a bad influence. I'm sitting here with debit card in hand playing the shall I or shall I not order some gears game :-) wanna bet which wins?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Sibbett

LOL. I'm telling you... they are worth every f*cking dime. FRPP 3.73 gears ordered directly from

they ship fast too. Free ship for all orders over $50 (and gears are). Cheapest place I could find 'em... locally everybody wanted $200~$220 for Motive and FRPP gears.

I cruise around in the city at 1400RPM in 5th gear & am getting *killer* gas mileage. It's been over 350 miles & I'm still on that same tank that I put in before I got the gears. I'm sure I can make it to the 450~480 miles range on this tank alone. I've got plenty of gas left.

IMO, and without even had stepped on it at all... they're worth it. I didn't expect a whole lotta oomf.. but wow. It's no supercharger or anything... but it is the best bang for buck. You'll hear more testimonials after I step on it LOL.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Oh also... I know MustangTuning.com says Motive gears are just as good as FRPP gears, but cheaper... and so far I've heard nothing but the same from all of the local performance shops. A friend of mine (Stan) in his 95 GT runs Motive 3.73 gears & they've given him trouble-free performance for 105k miles now. I thought he had FRPP gears which is why I paid a little extra for 'em.. but Motive is apparently just as good.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

| > I'm going to go buy Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil today. I plan on driving it | easy | > for another 200 miles today & getting the good stuff in the rear-end & | > stomping all over it today. I can't wait!! | >

| > -Mike | >

| > > -Mike | > > 98 Mustang GT | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Holy gas guzzler Batman! I have NEVER seen that kind of mileage in Shug.

| > Dave | >

| > > I'm going to go buy Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil today. I plan on driving it | > easy | > > for another 200 miles today & getting the good stuff in the rear-end & | > > stomping all over it today. I can't wait!! | > >

| > > -Mike | > >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

I got 498 miles on the tank... *most* below 60mph actually. Speedo is 5mph off below 65mph... so I got somewhere close to 30mpg on that tank. Drove like a granny the entire time... but I got the mileage. More than I ever thought this car would give me. It's time to change the gear oil...

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

lmfao

Reply to
<memset

Mike, I hate to bust your bubble here but your mileage probably isn't nearly as good as you think it is. You have to realize that your odometer is also screwed up as is your speedo. Here's a way to figure your actual speed in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears:

In 3rd at 2000 rpm your speed is 31 mph In 4th at 2000 rpm your speed is 42 mph In 5th at 2000 rpm your speed is 62 mph

Having done the same gear swap in my car and seen data from countless other people who have the same setup my guess is that you'll see about

25-26 hwy and 22-23 mixed. My city mileage actually went up a little because the 3.73 gears put the motor in a much better operating range than the stock 2.73's.

If you want to do some more calculations, go here:

This is a fabulous site for info on stangs and some exxcellent little calculators. If I ever run across this guy at a race I'm definitely gonna have to buy him a beer!

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

Well I can't wait to see what my actual mileage is. I know it's a fairly big improvement. Have you heard anything about hypertech programmer for our cars? I was thinking about buying one for the speedo correction, but was also hoping to get a bit of a HP gain if it actually did offer anything. Checking out that URL..

-Mike

Reply to
<memset