OT - Paint removal from cloth seat

Ok, there are a lot of smart folks around here so I that's why i am posting this question here!!

Bought a used Ranger supercab with one jump seat missing (SPO... Stupid Previous Owner!). The dealer whom I bought the truck from found me a jump seat out of wrecked Ranger but the doner vehicle during it accident had several gallons of paint which broke open and spattered the interior including the seat which I have now.

Now I has taken the seat apart and have the cloth off the foam and the plastic off, the paint on the plastic and metal parts came off fairly easy with warm water and soap, My question is what's a good way to remove the paint from the cloth covers? So far I have them soaking in the kitchen sink with warm water and soap but I'm not very confident that soaking will do much. Any further ideas?

My last resort is check with Ford dealer and see if I can get just the cloth covers but I'm not sure if I can afford dealer prices. A local salvage yard which deals with newer vehicles wants $350 for a pair of seats out of a 2000 ranger (yes I need the newer jump seats from the four door ranger.

Reply to
The Wes'ter

I've used Jasco TSP and a stiff brush to get paint out of cloth before, but there's no telling what kind of paint it is, and how long it has set.

The other option is to take the cover to a couple upholstry shops and see what they would charge to make a replacement cover. A good shop should be able to get the matching material, or something darn close.

If they can't you might consider something that accents the original upholstry, but isn't the same..

good luck!

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

I have had good success with lacquer thinner, followed by a waterbase degreaser. Test the lacquer thinner in a spot that won't show, maybe someplace that tucks under, and do not get it on the vinyl, it will melt it.

If it works ok on the fabric (should be ok, I've never had it mess fabric up) then dab some on, rub like heck, and before rinsing scrub with the degreaser.

Hope this helped..

Kate

2000 | ranger (yes I need the newer jump seats from the four door ranger. | |
Reply to
SVTKate