Clutch Adjustment post MC replacement

I just replaced the clutch MC on my 86.5 HB pickup.When I installed the new one I used the old one to determine the rod length (matched it to the old one).When I installed the new one it was short so I had to lengthen the rod to be able to put the pin in it on the clutch pedal. Originally,the clutch always started to engage near the floor,now it is almost at the top of the pedal before it grabs.Both books (Chilkton & Haynes) say to adjust the clutch pedal but not which way?I have a feeling I should shorten the length but am not sure?If you can explain why I need to shorten or lengthen it would be a big help.

Reply to
CBXXX

Is your clutch linkage manual, or is a hydraulic system used?

Louis--

********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond
Reply to
Louis Bybee

According to my research you should place the TWO adjustments within spec. and see where you are at rather than trying to adjust "where the clutch starts grabbing".

There is no adjustment down at the clutch operating cylinder on the bell housing.

At the top of the clutch pedal inside the cab there are two adjustments. Adjust the height of the pedal from the metal floorboard (not the surface of the rug or insulation) to 9.29" to 9.69" (4cyl) or 8.94" to 9.33" (V6) with the adjustment in the pedal stop switch.

Then adjust the free play to 0.039" to 0.059" using the clutch master cylinder pushrod adjustment. The free play is slack before the rod starts to move the clutch cylinder piston.

If you had the hydraulic lines apart you should bleed any air out of the system.

After making these two adjustments if everything else is in order the clutch should operate normally.

Louis

Reply to
Louis Bybee