Motels for South bend Nationals

Hi out there in Studedom. I will be going to South Bend this year for the Nationals but will only be able to attend on concourse day and not able to attend any other events or functions. So Im not staying at the Meet HQ but looking for a motel that is nice, reasonable and close to the fairgrounds (where the concourse judging will be). Is there such an animal? If not which ones would be nearer to the fairgrounds? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Reply to
dytnadad

There are no quality, "name brand" hotels on the south side of South Bend.

You have your choice of any of the northside (Notre Dame / Toll Road area) or the downtown area places (Marriott, Jamison Inn, etc.), or the places in Mishawaka out in the University Park Mall area.

If I was going to make a one night stay and was from out of the area, I'd stay here in Plymouth, IN, which is about 20 miles south of the Fairgrounds on Business U.S. 31. You'd have the same commute up 31 I have every day. About 20-30 minutes, and less traffic than staying on the Northside and definitely less than if you stayed in Mishawaka. Super 8, Holiday Inn Express, Red Rock Inn, and several other decent hotels here. Notre Dame Football team used to come down here during the Holtz era to get off campus the night before a home game. JFK Jr. stayed at what is now the Red Rock Inn when he was learning how to pilot Buckeye Powered Parachutes in nearby Argos. Plenty of restaurants and a Wal-Mart and K-Mart close by for any of your needs while here. Especially handy if your coming in from the South.

Reply to
Kevin Wolford