{OT} Goin' Fishin'

I'll be gone for a week starting Saturday on a fishing, canoeing, and hanging out trip. My wife says she will fish if I bait the hook but I suspect that I'll have to clean any fish we catch. Since we'll be up by the Canadian border, I'm hoping we can catch the Northern Lights too. I would have liked to get some climbing in, but my wife and my friend's wife don't climb so the ropes are staying home.

If you have a question about your ride, hopefully qslm, Comboverfish, Ph@boy, or Danny G will be around to answer!

I still haven't fixed the adaptive laser cruise control module on the LS, and taking the Sequoia for just the two of us seems to be a little wasteful so I guess it will be 10 hours each way with my foot on the throttle of the Lexus. I guess this will be a good chance to see how good the nav system works in the boondocks.

Reply to
Ray O

I wish I could. We do a lot of kayaking, canoeing, on the TX rivers.. But never seem to be able to get away lately.. Or the weather ain't right.. It's always something.. I was watching the weather all week up in OK, thinking I could run up there and play at the lake property this weekend, but nooooooo... The reports have now changed from good all weekend to chances of rain/T-storms.. I think it's going to rain forever up there.. They need it though really.. Not sure about the lights..The solar activity is pretty low right now.. I have some real time solar data on my home page where you can check the activity. I use it for radio purposes..

can click on the "status" indicator, and get moredata from NOAA. Looks pretty slow right now, but maybe it doesn't matter that much as far as the lights. I've never seen them, except when flying over Alaska in my flight simulator.. :/ Too far south, even though they are sometimes seen from some parts of TX when you have major solar storms going. MK

Reply to
nm5k

Thanks for the link!

It looks like the first few days will be rainy where we're going so we'll have to stay close to shore :-(

Reply to
Ray O

Have a great time. I saw the lights 30 years ago. Spectacular.

Reply to
Art

You wouldn't see many now, sunspots are at the cycle low. The sun is void of sunspots.

dbu,.

Have a good time man, enjoy leaving the internet, cell phones, and all that other crap behind for a while. Well, I DO bring a cell with me now when I venture out into the wild; lesson learned from a little mountain biking excursion in Pikes Peak National Park when I was 20. No cell phone, decent maps, or adequate clothing. When we finally found our way back to the truck, it was 8:30pm (we left at 11:00 am) and the temp was 34F. I hope I will never again have to discuss huddling together with two guys wearing bike shorts to make it through the night. Have fun!

Reply to
qslim

Have a great trip, Ray O. Don't forget - we want pictures, especially if you see the Northern Lights!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Thanks! I saw the lights 3 years ago, definitely worth seeing again!

Reply to
Ray O

I've heard and read from several sources that sunspots are at the low cycle, but the link you posted says to be on the lookout for auroras. I hope it's right!

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks!

I suspect that cell phone coverage is very spotty at best where we're going. I couldn't get a signal when we were up there 3 years ago.

We're taking our wives, so huddling shouldn't be a problem if we get stuck out in the boonies. ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks! Hopefully, my point-and-shoot digital camera will be close at hand if they pop up and it is able to do the trick.

Reply to
Ray O

Northern latitudes, perhaps above the arctic circle, however I suppose one might get lucky. The aurora in the past few years has been so bright down here at 44 N that you could read a newspaper by it.

I hope you catch lots of lunker pike.

Reply to
dbu,.

Thanks! I hope I do too!

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" ...

Have fun!

I see you're like every other professional guy. The contractor's house is never finished, the plumber's piping is never redone promptly, the painter's house has peeling paint, and...

...the Master Technician's vehicle is still lacking service.

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

LOL! Yup! I also have to fix the check engine light in the Avalon ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

Good Lord, what do you pay in annual insurance and registration charges!!????

Reply to
sharx35

Between the LS 430, Sequoia, and Avalon, our insurance agent makes enough to be able to afford to send me a nice desktop calendar each year ;-) Having 2 male and 1 female drivers under 25 years old in the household doesn't do much for insurance rates, but on a per-vehicle basis, I pay about 2/3 of what it cost for 1 teen driver when I lived in MA. Registration is $78 per vehicle.

Reply to
Ray O

Have a great trip, Ray. You are sure a help in this ng.

Reply to
sharx35

"Ray O"...

HA!

Ain't that always the way?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

We made the 1,000 mile round-trip without the benefit of cruise control, but still did pretty good on fuel mileage - 1st tank was around 26 MPG, and the next 2 tanks were a little over 28 MPG, way better than the 17~18 I get around town. That said, I think I'll find time to take a look at the cruise control so I don't have to worry about getting speeding tickets and give that right leg a little rest on those 10 hour trips.

Reply to
Ray O