How much Por-15 is enough?

................................This looks like a very interesting product. However....after reading through those links, I haven't come across any specific information about the chemical composition of their product (a lot of companies seem to worry that someone might start making their own version of their propietary product in a basement?........lol ). My concern is whether Rust Bullet has isocyanates. I have a specific sensitivity to that chemical compound that would be a 'deal killer' for me. I did fill out a request for the MSDS information but it annoys me that it isn't already posted somewhere on their website. The page where you request this information is titled 'Billing Information' which makes me wonder if they're going to try to bill me for wanting to learn about their product. I did state in the comments box of my request that I thought that they should email this information without billing me for it.

..................When you used Rust Bullet, did you have to take any special precautions to limit exposure that would go beyond what is typically used with any other coating..........like Rustoleum for example? If you did get a 'materials safety sheet', could you post its contents here?

TIA

BTW...............I didn't see a 'head to head' comparison with Zero-Rust. Do you know whether there is one somewhere at their site that I might have overlooked?

Reply to
Tim Rogers

................I have received the emailed MSDS data from Rust-Bullet and it turned out that they didn't want to charge for it.

...........The verdict is yes, it is a polyurethane with an isocyanate hardener which is basically what POR15 is as well. There may be differences in chemistry compared to POR15 but the isocyanates are what make it difficult to use by people like me who have a hyper-sensitivity to the isocyanate fumes that are produced during application & curing.

..................Here are some copy & paste segments from this MSDS on Rust Bullet that are also applicable for POR15 as well:

Acute Inhalation - MDI vapors or mist at concentrations above the TLV can irritate (burning sensation) the mucous membranes in the respiratory tract (nose, throat, lungs) causing runny nose, sore throat, coughing, chest discomfort, shortness of breath and reduced lung function (breathing obstruction). Persons with a preexisting, nonspecific bronchial hyperactivity can respond to concentrations below the TLV with similar symptoms as well as an asthma attack. Exposure well above the TLV may lead to bronchitis, bronchial spasm and pulmonary edema (fluid in lungs). These effects are usually reversible. Chemical or hypersensitive pneumonitis, with flu-like symptoms (e.g. fever, chills) has also been reported.

Chronic Inhalation - As a result of previous repeated overexposures or a single large dose, certain individuals will develop isocyanate sensitization (chemical asthma) which will cause them to react to later exposure to isocyanate at levels well below the TLV. These symptoms, which include: chest tightness, wheezing, cough, shortness of breath or asthmatic attack, could be immediate or delayed up to several hours after exposure. Similar to many non-specific asthmatic responses, there are reports that once sensitized, an individual can experience these symptoms upon exposure to dust, cold air or other irritants. This increased lung sensitivity can persist for weeks and in severe cases for several years. Chronic overexposure to isocyanates has also been reported to cause lung damage, including decrease in lung function, which may be permanent. Chronic exposure to organic solvents has been associated with various neurotoxic effects including permanent brain and nervous system damage. Symptoms include loss of memory, loss of intellectual ability and loss of coordination.

Inhalation - This product is a known pulmonary sensitizer. Treatment is essentially symptomatic. An individual having a dermal or pulmonary sensitization reaction to this material must be removed from any further exposure to any isocyanate.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Hey Tim, I'm glad you looked into it. I've spoken to them on the phone and they are just as nice as they can be. Maybe you can have someone apply it for you, so you wont be exposed to the fumes.

Take Care!!

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

..................That's not a practical option for me. Instead, I'm planning to continue using Zero Rust paint which is an alkyd enamel with a very high solids content. Another example of an alkyd enamel is Rustoleum. So, think of Zero Rust as a very good quality version of Rustoleum that protects from rust much much better.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Actually they do, I bought some in silver last year, and used it on the exaust manifold of my 454 GMC pickup. Still looks good after a year.

Mike.

Reply to
Michael Kelly