accident report

Page 7 of 10

It must not cost too much, or take too long, or Pennsylvania wouldn't be doing it. And yes, the test is a joke, given some of the people I know who have passed it.
--
Max

Are you saying that PA requires you to retest for every renewal?
"Max Dodge" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message

That would be ridiculous, not because of cost or time, but because there is no reason.
They retest after a "point" accumulation, if you fail, or if you acquire more points beyond the limit before a retest, they suspend the license.
--
Max

Max Dodge wrote:

I just gave up my Pennsylvania license for a Georgia one yesterday. I had it for 23 years and haven't taken a test since I first got it. I did all of my renewals through the mail so they issued me "valid without photo" licenses. They even put my out of state addresses on my driver's license and vehicle registrations. The only test that Georgia made me take was an eye test. I was in and out of the DMV with my new license in 15 minutes. It was just too easy.
--
Ken

it
my
licenses.
too > easy.

when i first got licensed here in GA i was 16. took the full test driving everything. we didnt leave the parking lot. the hardest part of the test WAS the eye test. like i said before. A JOKE!

Yep... same here in NJ. Heck, I'm sure glad they made sure I could parallel park without dinging another vehicle's bumper or scuffing the curb, before handing me a document that qualified me to operate a 26,000lb vehicle in heavy traffic at 65MPH (well, 55MPH back then) at night.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

The scariest part of my first driving test in PA was the three-point turn. I didn't even know what it was and had never done it, but successful completion of the three-point turn was to be the deciding factor on whether or not I could take my car on the highway solo. I passed! The only other times I had to take a test was on my motorcycle in Omaha, where the officer stood in the parking lot and watched me ride the bike 2 blocks away and return without falling off, and then the CDL in TX, which was actually pretty thorough.
JPH

The state trooper made me do my three-point turn twice. He didn't like the way I did it the first time. I was driving my mom's VW Rabbit during my test. Those things can turn in a very tight circle, so I didn't bother stoping and backing up. I just made a u-turn in the stall. He told me I had to at least stop and back up a little bit.
--
Ken

driving
curb,
vehicle
LOL i backed over the curb and still passed
had never tried to parallel park. (there's none in this part of GA in public places)

driving
curb,
vehicle
oh you didnt ride in a circle around him between 2 yellow lines? (that was what i had to do along with a panic stop demostation after the circle)
and then the CDL in TX,

Agreed, whole heartedly. Here in Utah, you get the test and the drivers maunual . . it's an open book test and with some of their screwy laws, it almost needs to be.
Budd
JPH wrote:

Especially when anti-lock brakes are involved.

not an issue here, he was driving an 80's f250. i know ford started putting anti-locks on the late 80's f150 but i dont think they made their way into the heavy duty line until the 90s.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com

putting

i dont think so, not on the heavy duty trucks. perhaps someone else knows more about the ford line than i do.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com

Where do you get the 30% devaluation from? My 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 took out a 95 Camaro, and a 97 Cavalear in Jan 03, when the kid in the uninsured Z-28 turned in front of me and there was no place for me to go. The Camaro's front end was taken off, and the woman in the Cavalear had to be cut out, the car was too "tweaked" for the doors to open, I had hit her left rear corner at about 50, and launched her over 100' down the shoulder of the road. She wasn't hurt, the kid in the Z-28 wasn't hurt, but I was, mostly from the second impact, when the airbags went off.
After $11,000+ of repairs, my Sierra still had issues, mostly electrical, related to the crash, and after taking it back to the bodyshop about a dozen times, I pretty much had had enough. I was going to buy another Sierra, but the dealer played games and I went to Dodge, that was what I really wanted anyway.
The trade in was the same at both dealers, $15,000, about $500 less than a friend had received for his 2000 Sierra (They stickered about a hundred apart, mine was more) that had never been wrecked and wasn't "doggy smelling", like mine was. They knew about my wreck, it wasn't all that hard to tell anyway. His truck and mine were pretty close, milage and wear wise, in fact we had both just replaced the driver's seat, under warranty due to it splitting. Both were midlevel trim, mine was black his was blue.
If your claim was true, I would have only expected to get about $10K. I expected to take some sort of hit, but the salesman shook his head, and said it was fixed right, and they had no problem giving me 15K on it. The list of parts replaced on mine was three pages long. The entire drivetrain and suspension on the front drivers side, quarter panel, driver's door, front bumper, wheel and tire, were all replaced with new stuff. State Farm insurance was great, no complaints, but the body shop was a joke( I picked it, not them). When I got it back, I basically had no front brakes, and nearly went out onto a busy highway when I pulled out of the dealer's driveway.
By the time I was done with the body shop, I wouldn't have believed me if they told me the sun was coming up the next morning.
BDK

the amount they offered him was roughly 30% less than the kbb trade in value. this was consistant at more than one dealership.
--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com
Nathan W. Collier wrote:

I thought dealers automatically started with an offer 50% less than the KBB trade-in value. If they offered 30% less, then the vehicle appreciated instead of depreciated ;-)
John
says...

That sounds about right, at least with a couple of weasels I have tried to do business with. I couldn't believe a couple were even seriously expecting me to go for them..
The amount one guy offered me trade in on two vehicles was less than I got for one of them (86 Iroc Z28) after parking it in front of my friend's store that's at a hugely busy intersection. I sold it the night I parked it there. The other one, an 88 S10 Blazer was sold a short time later to the friend above, who had it until recently when after almost 200K, two times being trashed inside when stolen, and a pretty good wreck, he sold it for way more than a sane person would pay..
If I would have taken the deal the weasely dealer offered, I would have lost about $7500, what I got for the Iroc.
BDK
says...

Hmm, I have to wonder if it looked bad for it's age/milage, or something. I have had a few friends trade trucks that had been wrecked badly enough to pop the air bags, and none of them took a huge hit, and as far as I know the dealers all knew about the wrecks..
BDK