Strange mobile camera

Yesterday whilst driving along the Chertsey Road (40mph) from Staines Bridge I came across a white van parked on the pavement with some of those red and white poles/boards around it. On closer inspection I could see two cameras on tripods inside the barriers at the back of the van. No sign of any humans. A little further along the road by a parking area (Truss's Island) there was a crowd of ordinary looking chaps in unmarked yellow jackets with one policeman also in his jacket. Presumably ready to pull people over. What's that all about?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Sounds like road tax nabbing to me!

Reply to
Someone

Yep.

Tax checking., ANPR i think its called.

Automatic Number Plate Recognition.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Reply to
StaffBull

Checking cars for road tax. They were doing at Lakeside a few weeks ago. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Almost certainly Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras.

They will flash up any untaxed vehicle, the plod will flag you down, and the rest of the yellow clad peeps will be the nice chaps from the DVLA, who will confiscate your car.

Reply to
SimonJ

So SimonJ was, like

Good! Since I have paid road tax without fail for 28 years, it's nice to see that those who think it's an optional extra get their comeuppance once in a while.

BTW, does anyone know if the APNR cameras (and speed cameras etc, see other thread) can read the old black and silver plates?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

ANPR Automatic number plate regognition - basically what it says. It is linked into the PNC & they have details of untaxed/stolen/unregistered/uninsured cars etc.

It's a good system, but flawed in many ways.

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Reply to
Nige

Here Here

Reply to
Tim Guy

And even, Hear Hear!

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

The modern digital cameras in use can read practically anything and are almost never fooled by the so-called camera defeating backgrounds and coatings you can buy. Gatso is also able to read the older silver on black plates.

Regards

Steve G

Richard Brookman wrote:

Reply to
SteveG

I read some time ago (on the BBC news website, I think) that as of January last year these systems were also capable of looking up the Vehicle Inspectorate records and checking MoT status.

I wonder how practical this is - does anybody know if garages are supposed to promptly send in details of MoT certs they have issued?

K (fully MoT'd, not looking for a blag ;-)

Reply to
Kieran Turner

The MoT database isn't fully functioning yet, you can already renew your tax over the Internet unless your vehicle is over three years old in which case its down the PO as usual. AIUI, there is no need for tetsing stations to submit MoT certificates as they are recorded in electronic form and automatically submitted.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

and over there too....

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

So SteveG

Reply to
Richard Brookman

over the Internet unless your

there is no need for tetsing

and automatically submitted.

Test stations send in a register of all the certificates issued every month but AIUI this is just to check the issue of the certificate not whether the vehicles been mot'ed there is phoneline for checking the validity of certificates but I don't think it's good enough to be used by the police By the middle of this year* this will change as it's all going computerised and the certificate you get will be more of a receipt as the main information will then be stored on central computer

  • if siemens get their act together
Reply to
Andy.Smalley

On or around Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:01:05 -0000, "Andy.Smalley" enlightened us thusly:

wonder if it's the Staines office?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Wasn't Siemens Staines a character in Captain Pugwash?

:-O

Steve G

Aust> On or around Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:01:05 -0000, "Andy.Smalley"

Reply to
SteveG

Together with his pals...

Master Bates, & Roger the cabin boy!!

Reply to
SimonJ

On or around Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:35:56 GMT, "SteveG enlightened us thusly:

yeah, Seaman Staines. but apparently the Siemens company really does have an office in Staines.

Reply to
Austin Shackles