UKRCM Rolling Road / Trackday Weekend?

Gentleman... I appreciate we're scattered all over the UK (and beyond), but would any of you be interested in a UKRCM rolling road day down at the dyno I help out at?

The dyno is down in deepest Kent.

If I can get a minimum of ten of us up for it, I can get us a rate of =A330 per car, and for this you get two runs on the dyno and a nice shiny wipe clean laminate printout of the results.

What we *could* do, is work it as a weekend thingy maybe, whereby we organise it for a weekend when there just happens to be a trackday on at Lydden circuit as well.

I'm almost the proud owner of another 106 GTi, so I'd be taking that along... although if I can get the brakes up to spec on the Passat, I wouldn't mind doing one session in that to see just how quick I could get it round the track compared to more focused stuff.

Anyway... just thought I'd see if there was enough serious interest to organise something.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

I'd be more interested if it wasn't the far side of beyond.. but I could still be tempted. Especially if I've pulled my finger out and got my NO2 installed by then (I'm still collecting the bits...)

Reply to
PCPaul

The dyno is down in deepest Kent.

If I can get a minimum of ten of us up for it, I can get us a rate of £30 per car, and for this you get two runs on the dyno and a nice shiny wipe clean laminate printout of the results.

What we *could* do, is work it as a weekend thingy maybe, whereby we organise it for a weekend when there just happens to be a trackday on at Lydden circuit as well.

I'm almost the proud owner of another 106 GTi, so I'd be taking that along... although if I can get the brakes up to spec on the Passat, I wouldn't mind doing one session in that to see just how quick I could get it round the track compared to more focused stuff.

Anyway... just thought I'd see if there was enough serious interest to organise something.

I wouldn't have been bothered with the dyno day, I have no mods - although a good few people on CS have seen more than 197, but not like, loads, between

197 and 203.

Aww I'd have loved to do the track day though!

Also - you can all think yourselves lucky - cos I can't think of another car in here, bar those kitcar (sorry I know a Locost isn't a kit car but I'm using the term just so people get what I mean) guys, that would have the measure of mine on the track ;-) I suspect my wanting to keep the car gravel rash and tyre wall free would be the limiting factor of my car hehe :-p

You've all had a big embarassment let off there - being beaten round the track by a girlie yellow Renault Clio would probably make a few of you too ashamed to post again haha :-D

Reply to
DanB

Some rolling roads don't let you use NOS, so it'd be worth checking first. I think it's cos your car in pretty much right in the garage, and it could be a fire hazard or something - I dunno thought that's just a 100% pure guess from me :-)

Reply to
DanB

i to would like to wipe the floor with my BM including yellow clio's but i don't want to do another bearing plus my pads are low too a track day would finish them off in a couple of laps i bet lol

Reply to
Vamp

Deepest Kent? No mate. There's the small matter of a 500 mile round trip and quite possibly a dead engine 250 miles from home.

A trackday a lot less Southern would be brilliant, but I can't see myself traipsing below say Brum or above Carlisle.

Reply to
Pete M

I would suggest an airfield day at Elvington, as it's central in mainland UK, but the surface is *really* abrasive and since at York, naturally I'm biased...

Reply to
DervMan

I think somewhere around Leicester Forest East would be a good central location....

......apart from those coming from Scotland, mind you.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Anywhere in Wales, presumably?

Reply to
DervMan

I am not playing hunt the coolant cap again.

Reply to
Elder

that never ceases to be amusing

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That and my car's quicker, lighter (probably), handles much better and won't tip me out with body roll, brakes far, far better, is easy to drive on, around and really, above the limt the limit - driving on the limit and over the limit in yours all day, well, I wouldn't best against some serious grass tracking hehe ;-) You do have more torque though - so console yourself in that in a 'real world situation' which seems to be not changing down when you want to go faster, you'd maybe be a tinkle toe quicker :-)

But I'd give you a hug after :-){}(-:

xx

Reply to
DanB

And there's the stone chips. Right about the abrasive though, I'd be worried I fell out the seat there'd be that much grip. If I could join in. Which I can't :'(

:-(

Reply to
DanB

Seen a fair few cars in the tire wall: a Honda S2000 on its first flying lap (with cold tires) up the Raidillion... Owner seemed shaken, car destroyed. :-(

The problem with (fast) cars is that you can buy them fairly easily but the expertise to drive them quickly can't be bought. You can't download it when 40 m away from the corner at 100 MPH the car snaps sideways...

A trackday is for fun, driving the roadcar fast without fearing a laser or radargun.

It is however no race and because of that I have no problem bending my ego. Last time at Spa I had a youngster in a 106 Rallye on my 6. I passed him easily, no drama, on the straight (hey: my wheels have more than double of ponies than his) but once the twisty bits arrive he takes all risks, oversteers but keeps it on the road and charges down Nessie's behind.

The blinker goes on, the 106 is waived through. One happy kid who offered his 106 the scalp of an NSX.

Exactly 3 corners further, for those who know the Malmedy corner, the

106 goes too wide, the wheels dig in the gravel with the car sideways and it rolls twice coming to rest near the tires.

I went to see the kid, his 106 in a bad shape, it's his daily drive. I was the only one who went to see him, his ego was somewhat bruised, maybe a bit more than his car. I complemented him on his driving, told him what an ass he wass taking on cars 2 to 5 times more capable than his.

He got the message and I on the phone: the chap could go next day to work as I found him an old but neat and cheap 205 (For Pete M: a diesel!)

For some reason he is now bonkers about a black NSX...

We've all been young, I quite liked it there :-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Yes I forgot about those. Good reason to use bodge tape on lights.

It would advantage the smaller, lighter stuff under braking, but the more powerful stuff under acceleration.

Ahha but as Tom's already alluded and I'm about to post, it isn't competitive.

Reply to
DervMan

Nah it isn't like that. Track days are not about seeing who is quickest, it's about having a (safe, ish) laugh in either something you commute in or something you spend your weekends in. Almost all people are not watching other cars when on the track themselves unless either somebody else does something stupid immediately behind, to the side or in front of your car, or you pass somebody who did something stupid earlier on.

If somebody drives like a tw*t and passes where they've not been signalled to pass, or constantly plays with the edge of not being in control, or tries to outbrake somebody into a corner, or whatever - one of two things happen.

One, they're black flagged by the marshalls and sent home.

Two, when they stuff it, nobody immediately jumps out to help.

Of all the stuff that overtook me in the dry at Elvington, only two cars are memorable. One was a black Renault 5 Turbo, because it dumped its sump of oil mid-way around the bottom corner. The other was a red 80s 911 Turbo as one I love them and two, the driver was keen to pass me twice on one of my laps. :-)

Track days are great fun. Builds up a team team spirit. It isn't what you bring or how quick you are, but it's spending time doing something that is great fun, has a slightly rebel streak in it and there's always the opportunity that you might be towing somebody elses' ride home. :-p

Reply to
DervMan

Shame... unfortunately the dyno isn't as mobile as the rest of us. ;-)

Reply to
JackH

Understood entirely old chap. Could you move Kent a bit nearer to civilisation? :-p

Reply to
Pete M

Post corrected. :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Certainly not, we don't want those bizarre estuary accents encroaching on Hampshire.

Reply to
Steve Firth