Unleaded petrol mixed with Diesel in a Chrysler 2.5CRD

We've just done two actually. New pump, injectors, filters and a flush through, they cost about £3500.

If the pump siezed, and then caused engine damage, then it could top £10,000.

Just have a look at the pistons and block casting technology in the Honda diesel - they aren't going to survive a high speed coming together.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

"Andy Hewitt" wrote

It's up to him to decide which advice to accept and which to reject. This is Usenet. He asked for an opinion. Mine is to carry on. It's up to him what importance to place on this.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

That kind of doesn't look good for diesels. Save on fuel, but repairs are expensive...

Reply to
Johannes

3 miles would surely just about take in what was in the lines and filter. How does unleaded mix with diesel, does it float, sink or mix?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Daniel J. Stern wrote: [snip]

Even though the car is of low value

Reply to
Steve Firth

In message , Johannes writes

Given (1) how often this topic is posted by worried car owners to this and similar newsgroups and (2) that most car owners do not use newsgroups and therefore the postings probably represent the tip of the iceberg, it would seem that inadvertently putting petrol into diesel cars is quite a common problem. In which case, it is more than likely that some drivers of cars they do not own (such as company cars and hire cars) make the same mistake but that, unlike car owners, they keep quiet about it.

If the consequences of doing nothing are as dire as we are told, there must be quite a lot of these company cars and hire cars (and those that have entered the used-car market in the several years since common rail diesels were introduced) that have expensively broken down or are about to do so. If that is so, I am surprised that the ruinous cost of making a simple mistake has not attracted more media attention than I have seen.

Reply to
Peter

Or, more to the point, we'd see industry pressure for a unique diesel nozzle-and-filler-pipe system such that a petrol nozzle wouldn't fit into a diesel vehicle, similar to what was done when unleaded was introduced next to leaded.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Heh - anyone else think the Cruiser is like a short wheelbase hearse, and just as pointless?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It's mostly a matter of care, so far I've swapped regularly between cars needing 4 star, unleaded, super and diesel and never put the wrong fuel in. I'm not immune to making mistakes but I do always double check which nozzle I've got my hand on.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp
[Snipped Text]

Indeed, although how would you prove later on that a mis-fueled diesel would be the cause of a breakdown?

Reply to
Andy Hewitt
[Snipped Text]

As with most cars if the timing belt breaks.

In some ways I blame the consumer for the cost of repairing vehicles. They demand greater and greater levels of technology, and yet expect it to perform the same without paying more for the vehicle.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

The message from Halmyre contains these words:

Right through!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from RichardK contains these words:

By three miles it'd have mixed very thorougly. It'd have mixed very thorougly just from the turbulence of the fuel entering through the tank's neck.

Reply to
Guy King

Quite, the university of life has also learned me to double check things. However, mistakes such as these are made, shouldn't happen, completely unacceptable, but they do. Most of the time we're just lucky.

Reply to
Johannes

The message from "Tim S Kemp" contains these words:

I laughed myself silly when I first saw one.

There's an old bloke round here somewhere who has a black one with black stickers all over it and shiny silver things all over it. Vile.

Reply to
Guy King

I think that's a bit rich. The technology is already out there, the manufacturer who doesn't keep up with technology will just be left out in the cold. Secondly, they increasingly like to keep the consumers off-hand and not give out detailed service information. Like the windscreen sticker they put on: "This car is serviced by so and so Ltd..." - No it isn't!!!

Reply to
Johannes

Indeed. The use of front wings makes the front doors curve inside the car, like on an old 1950s Ford Perfect. Most off-putting.

Reply to
Johannes

...only to the degree they're told they "need" it by the marketeers.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I always imagine those cars have a ZZ Top cd playing.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

The technology is driven almost exclusively by emission regulations.

Huw

Reply to
Huw