Unleaded petrol mixed with Diesel in a Chrysler 2.5CRD

If it runs fine today and tomorrow and allowing for the fact that tolerances in these systems are extremely tight, then in all probability it will have suffered no ill effect and will last as long as it would have running purely on normal fuel. It could fail tomorrow or it might never fail, but whichever, in all probability it will have nothing to do with yesterdays mishap.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Firstly it should be pointed out that the vehicle is a Grand Voyager, not a PT Cruiser

It cost about =A330,000 22 months ago so I'm guessing it has a value around the =A320k mark today

Reply to
miruttledge

And I believe it to be wrong.

If it does fail in months, it will be nothing to do with today's mishap. My experience is that CR systems fail with depressing regularity. Either it will be covered by warranty within three years [if no mention is made of petrol] or the insurance will pay. There will be no closing of any 'loophole' because it is a legitimate accident. There may be an excess and a loading according to mileage covered by the insurance company though. Usually something like a £500 excess on the engine damage and something like a 25% reduction in value for every 40,000 miles covered and possibly further adjustments for age, even to the extent of writing it off if the value of the car is below a certain percentage of the repair cost.

I would just carry on and not even think of there being a problem. The car manufacturer and dealer make a mint from the insurance companies by repairing and replacing needlessly and expensively, and if any loophole is going to be closed it is this one.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

That is exactly my view.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

*snort*

Halve that and you'll be a bit closer.

Reply to
SteveH

You do realise it shared some bits with the A class don't you? I just forget which bits.

Reply to
Steve Firth

A three year old Subaru Outback H6, new cost about £27,000, has a trade value around £5K. And I know which car has the better reputation.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Probably, but not very recently. I remember back in the 1980s, 90s when next years models always were light year's ahead of last year's models, that doesn't happen any longer. All the tricks they have left now are gizmos such as SATNAV, MP3, F1-gears, rain sensors, parking sensors, distance sensors, etc. etc. all of which you don't really need to drive the car.

Reply to
Johannes

What ?

You made me look at autotrader !

The closest to our 2003 Limited xs costs =A317k and has more than twice the mileage of ours !

These things do hold their value quite well

Reply to
miruttledge

Probably, after all a lot of part sharing is going on in the group. Can't pin anything down on that pair though - it's not a platform share.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Quite a philosophical entry. Reminds me of "Smoking is bad for you". It probably is, but not today and not tomorrow...

Reply to
Johannes

Yeah, shame the only decent ones have single figure consumption. I really love the V6...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Just doing a quick, national search on a CRD produces a couple of pages of them going for between £10.5k and £13k.

Reply to
SteveH

I wasn't really thinking of that kind of technology but the engine technology which has indeed leapt ahead over recent years, especially in relation to diesel engines. CR high pressure injection, variable vane turbo's with water cooling, cooled exhaust gas recirculation and exhaust gas aftertreatment both by catalyst and physical soot reduction are driven by legislation.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Except that this is a heap of inert metal and plastic with a few electronics we are talking about, not a frail human body prone to disease.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I regularly drive my diesel Focus with a 10:1 diesel/petrol mix in the Alps to control waxing. Never had a problem. Just make sure that you top it off after a quarter tank gone (with diesel naturally....:) ) to dilute out the petrol.

Reply to
Chris Street

I've done three winters in the Alps on 10:1 diesel:petrol mixes in a modern diesel. Is that OK? My pump hasn't shat itself yet.

Reply to
Chris Street

You could actually claim on fully comp insurance for this? Never realised that....

Reply to
Chris Street

Mixes readily, and these types of diesel run a high pressure injection system. And, like injection cars, the fuel circulates round rather than just being pumped through like my carb box does.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect any petrol in the mix would be pumped into the relevant areas in seconds - it's not a problem with reaching the carbs, it's the actual pump that has issues.

I'd run as is, filling up with diesel a few times earlier than usual just to be on the safe side. As the solution to the problem is to replace a whole shedload of bits to be on the safe side, I'd replace them when they fail earlier.

It's the same thing as with leaded heads. The solution to VSR is to put new heads onto the engine with hardened exhaust valve seats. But since that's also the way to repair it if it all goes wrong when you don't bother, you might as well wait until then.

Reply to
Questions

But the longer time it takes for the breakdown, the more clouded the cause of the breakdown would be; the insurers would reasonable be able to claim that the breakdown was unrelated. They could possibly also argue that the keeper was negligent by not having the car towed to a garage immediately after the 'mishap'.

Reply to
Johannes