Gas rationing is coming

I guess I cant come to play

155 lbs Arizona Drive a " small " 4x4 ('88 Wrangler 4.2)

But I do get 10 - 12 MPG !!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
JohanB

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 07:37:28 -0700, southaters rearranged some electrons to form:

Please don't feed the TROLLS

Reply to
David M

I guess the point is being missed here. I have three 4x4's here (one awaiting restoration) but I also have two 4 cyl vehicles for daily commutes and running around. I only drive truck when I need a truck, not to drive to work or WalMart. I have a 2000 K3500 SRW that I bought new that only has a bit over 36K on it now because it is not, nor was it bought as, a daily driver. It is your money and if you want to dump

1000's of extra dollars in tank to feed a big truck to commute in over a few years time, have at it. I have better things to do with my money.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Now, why am I not surprised you'd jump on the crazy wagon with this guy......

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I am not "jumping" on anything here. Just stating some rational in the matter.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

The math doesn't always work.

We are a 3 car family, but for all practical purposes call us a 2 car family. I've got my Super Duty, my wife has her Focus and I have my project van.

For what it would cost to buy, insure, maintain and even put gas in another small, reliable and economical car or truck, I can buy more gas than I will ever need for my Super Duty.

Only if I decide I can live without the capacity of my F-250, would it make (financial) sense for me to get rid of the truck and get something more economical. And since my truck is paid for, that too needs to be factored in to the decision making process and makes it even more reasonable to keep and feed it.

That being said though, I don't believe in throwing money away. We certainly use the Focus when the family is headed out somewhere unless we need to haul a lot or the capacity of four wheel drive.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

Not realy when you do the number fully. Yor SD will wear out quicker and require more tires too that cost a lot more than rice eater tires. Been driven 4 bangers for over 20 years now for commuting and my 4x4 last a very long time because they are not driven daily. I have a 89

4x4 burb with 177K and over a dozen cross county trips on it now and more shorter round trips (less than 1000 miles) than I can count. It just went to North Carolina last week for a family trip and still is in very fine shape because it is not driven daily and may sit a month without even being used at times (only use it for trips and driving the 4 bangers the rest of the time save money to fuel the big iron for trips). If it had been a daily driver it would have been far worse off and likely needed replacement years ago. I also have a 79 J20 with 108k original miles on it because it is not a daily driver and it has been to montana too. My 2000 K3500 has under 37K on it and at current rate will be good for another 10 years in its usage because the 4 bangers take the heat. I have also ran several 4 banger well past 200K miles with no major repairs and nothing more than a few sets of tires and normal lubes changes and few batteries. It boils down to what it costs you a mile to drive the thing and with a 4 banger it is less than 10 cent a mile at todays gas prices and with a big 4x4 it is about 25 cent a mile or more before you factory in tires and mantainance. WHen you keep a 4x4 a long time and do not beat it in daily driving they last a lot longer and you get more of your money worth out of them to over extended time. A 4 banger will never replace a 4x4 truck but you do not need a big thirsty 4x4 truck to drive to work or WalMart either. The said part is if people would loose their hungry for big iron for daily commutuers, long term gas price would drop some because of reduced demand. Also do not kid yourself, $3 bucks a gallon will sound cheap in another year or two and $5 a gallon will olikey happen if next few years as demand continues to grow and you can pay 150 bucks to fill it up then or 50 or less with a rice eater, the choice is yours because the days of cheap fuel are gone forever.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

I'm with ya on this one Matt. My '99 F350 Super Duty is paid for also, AND, when it's being used it is earning me money, around 55 dollars an hour. I use it to pull my smaller grading equipment. Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Dang, Snojob, if I'd know you were comin' to the neighborhood I'd have invited you over for a hot cup 'o smack you in the head.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I like Hondas, I think I have one right now, as a hood ornament on my F-250

4x4...
Reply to
Ken Finney

Well I'm in the west and trucks, suv's and 4x4's are plentiful. More of them than your honda's. This is truck country!

Reply to
miles

It would appear you've never been to Phoenix, Denver, Albuquerque, Tucson, Salt Lake City, Grand Junction, Reno, anywhere in Idaho or Wyoming. The west is truck and 4x4 country! The big cities in California etc. are just that. In L.A. you gotta have an econo car because you have to commute 2 hours each way from an overpriced home.

Reply to
miles

Please don't feed the fucktards....

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Well I installed a K&N filter, Tornado fuel saver, Fitch Catalyst booster, fuel line magnets and many more fuel saver items. I now get

38mpg in my V8 powered truck.
Reply to
miles

That's because you wallet is so much lighter.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

He's one of those idiots who thinks the "west" consists of California and nothing else. Everything in between is flyover country so there's New Yark, California, and Da South. The only reason he knows Da South exists is New Yarkers and Massatuschabators used to go there for votes from the Jim Crow democrats every few years or for the occasional KKK meeting with their bud Byrd.

Regards

Reply to
Rashputin

This Idiot resides in Colorado. The majority of Colorado is east of the Rockies, and clearly MIDWEST for all practical purposes! He wouldn't know what is driven in the West if he got stuck under its bumper...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Yeah that will be really funny for the guys that NEED a truck in order to do their job !!!! Butthead

Reply to
Outlaw

Gas rationing is not coming. There is no need to ration $4.00 gasoline, it will ration itself ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hey, youse betta be gettin da pro-noun-c-a-sion right, or we bust some knee caps! It's New Yawk, (like Hawk) not Yark. :)

Tanks, Here on Lawn Gisland, New Yawk.

Reply to
IYM