Hey Nathan, got a question for you!

Sorry, but I can't seem to find your email addy anywhere, and didn't know if you checked the one on your website often...

That trackbar you sent me -- do you remember the make/model? How much lift was it made for? I'm guessing 3"+ (since I can't get it short enough to fit the XJ). If so, I'll keep it for the TJ (which will be going to 4.5" next year) and order a smaller one for the XJ. Thanks!!

Eric

Reply to
Eric

hi eric, that adjustable trackbar should fit any tj from stock up to at least 6" of lift. i really dont think it would fit any xj.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

All of the ones I've seen advertised are usually TJ/XJ/ZJ compatible. No differences between them.

Reply to
Eric

wow....learn something new every day. if it makes a difference, the bar was part of a 4" lift, but my understanding was that it was the same bar from 0" on up.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

I'll talk to superlift and see what they say. I've seen some that are 0 -

6" of lift, and a number of them that specify increments -- 0-3", 3.5-5", 5"+, etc. It just depends on the maker as to what they say the range is.
Reply to
Eric

at 4" of lift, there is only 3/4" difference in the length of the trackbar over stock. i cant imagine 3/4" requiring a different bar, especially considering the length of the adjustable end.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

It seems like this bar is one of two things:

  1. Built for a MINIMUM of 4" of lift or
  2. Flawed.

The end just doesn't go in enough. When attached, my steering wheel goes 90 degrees to one side and the axle shifts another inch + over to the passengers side (meaning it's too long).

Just the tiny bit that the stock bar is off (I don't even think it's 1/2".. maybe 1/4") is enough to cause DW. I've read on NAXJA that on some XJs, not all, this is all it takes to have perma-death wobble. It's nuts. I talked to someone on base that put on a 4.5" lift on their 01 XJ and didn't have a single problem. Didn't even need a new driveshaft (I've heard some say that's needed at 3").

Reply to
Eric

? was it damaged in shipping or something? mounted perfectly on my tj....

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Hack it off ...

Billy

Reply to
Billy Tolcher

Hmm.. good point. I guess I'd have to hack the adjustable end. What would I use?

Reply to
Eric

A vice and a hacksaw... I suppose. I have never 'hacked' off a trackbar, but I sure as hell have 'shortened' a few bolts. Measure it to make sure you don't cut toooo much, and then ... go at it. Buff the sharp point off the end...

Or. .you could take it to a good ol' hardware store and ask them to do it.

Billy

Reply to
Billy Tolcher