Re: Finding an address for a truck firm

Hehe, thanks MGS! I was just highlighting skipweasel/Guy's slightly worrying speedo vs. actual speed numbers, not seriously asking!

Kevin.

Reply to
Letharge

Trucks are off topic in all of the newsgroups this is posted to, anyway.

(Please don't f*ck with the Newsgroups line without mentioning it. Thanks.)

Reply to
Huge

Which bit of "intertial" is it you don't understand?

Reply to
Huge

I totally understand that. Selective availability was apparently turned off on May 2nd 2000 so hopefully they should be accurate to < 25 metres whereas before they were not. And of course there us SPS for us civvies and the more accurate PPS for the military.

I as an individual am against speed limiters. But I can understand why the EU wants them fitted to all vehicles in an attempt to improve road safety. I guess if GPS was switched off and your in car GPS could no longer receive signals, it could default to the highest coded speed setting - the motorway limit in the country of registration.

Reply to
David B

My laptop, with USB gps and autoroute or navigator will show clearly which side of the road I am on. That's good enough for me.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp
[32 lines snipped]

Really? Why do you think that is?

Reply to
Huge

Not that I'm questioning your morals, but do you consider it right to cede to an action you are against, instead of voicing your opinion against it reactively, or maybe even proactively?

Kevin.

Reply to
Letharge

Which was the original question.

Indeed. Still a shed load of cash though. More than I'd have guessed.

Reply to
Grant

Not from me! I'm going to be more inventive and ask if there are lorries with lower ratio gears and diffs because they are sold in the UK and abroad, where speed limits are different (or even there aren't any, such as in the Australian outback). Again no insinuation intended, I am just on a fact quest

Kevin.

Reply to
Letharge

*Enters surreal martial arts world* hoooe hoooe hoooe hoooooooooe, da der der da der der dun ner waaaaaaaw everybody was kung fu fighting...

Excellent, I like it.

Kevin.

Reply to
Letharge

Which is one of the reasons the EU is going ahead with Galileo IIRC.

(or maybe it's part of a nefarious plot to put speed limiters in all our cars!)

Reply to
Cheeky

Back in the pre-911 days, I often used to ride up front in the jump seat when flying with non-US carriers (my CPL and a polite request would usually do it).

I don't remember now which types on which airlines have GPS, but some that I've flown in do. I once asked about it, and was told that they use GPS for primary nav with INS as backup. Apparently GPS is more accurate. Of course, when on airways over land, ground-based navaids (VOR/VORTAC) are the primary reference.

Reply to
Mike Connally

Because statistics show that speed limiters save lives.

Reply to
David B

Past performance can not be used to show future returns.

Statistics exist to provide back-up for those with no reasoned argument.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Excellent. I can plonk you, now. Thanks for the entertainment.

Reply to
Huge

Is the racing of motor vehicles as a hobby not recreational then?

Reply to
Brimstone

The message from John Laird contains these words:

The glue it on with egg.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "David B" contains these words:

Gyros and acceleration sensors - it measures the inertia effects of accelerating and works out in which direction and for how long you've been accelerating and from that can work out the current speed and position - provided you knew where you started. Since most airfields are quite well surveyed, a starting referrence ain't hard.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Letharge" contains these words:

Like I said - I had my head on backwards!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Tim S Kemp" contains these words:

Good thing too, if you're driving at the time!

Reply to
Guy King