Re: Finding an address for a truck firm

I never said GPS lands the plane. But the autopilot would use the GPS for navigation.

Reply to
David B

And some units can detect weaker satellite signals making them more accurate.

Reply to
David B

Whats simple then?

Reply to
David B

Thats right you don't. We just have another speed freak who thinks motorists should be able to go as fast as they want when they want and anyone who thinks otherwise must be sectioned.

Reply to
David B

The message from Conor contains these words:

Look, Conor, you have lots of really good information to share in this group, but I don't care to be accused of lying.

Motorway marker posts are spaced very accurately at 100m intervals, and my stopwatch is like most modern stopwatches adequately accurate for these purposes. I am more than capable of pressing a stopwatch consistently as I pass a marker post - whether I do it exactly as I pass or not isn't relevant provided I do it repeatably.

Done half a dozen times over several days on holiday I got results differing by no more than .2 second on any run, except those I abandoned because I hadn't maintained a steady indicated 120kph for two or three minutes.

The arithmetic isn't hard - my 7 year old son did it under guidance - which was why I was doing the experiment in the first place. The average of all the results from the week gave near as damn it 115kph. Even if the timing were out by a second or so over three minutes there's not be more than a kph.

The sort of accuracy you imply I need simply isn't needed for the precision with which I'm quoting the results.

To give a similar analogy, I once measured the speed of sound with a bunch of school kids with a metronome, a drum and a tape measure. With six lots of kids all working in different directions we got an answer within 8% of the value for the air-pressure that day. The timing needed to do that is a good deal more stringent than for measuring motorway speeds over three minutes.

Reply to
Guy King

The minds of some of the "car is god" freaks on this group?

Reply to
Brimstone

> s=Basic+GPS+Theory> >>

"from take off to touch down" - you are starting to look an arse.

Reply to
Doug

the opposite of extremely complex

Reply to
Doug

I didn't actually know the answer, but knowing a little about it, and having sat on the flight deck of a number (yes, I *am* that sad person who asks to go up to the flight deck. Or rather, I was.) I was guessing at pushing £1m.

So I was in the right order of magnitude...

Reply to
Huge
[59 lines snipped]

Not routinely in times of peace, anyway.

:o)

Reply to
Huge

with a custom kit for each car. neither cheap nor simple.

Reply to
Doug
[67 lines snipped]

Could you please stop posting stuff you obviously know nothing about.

Aircraft do not use GPS for autopilot. At least, 747-400s don't. They don't even all have GPS.

Reply to
Huge
[43 lines snipped]

Err, no.

Reply to
Huge

Letharge shared with us the following:

Check out the post entitled "How accurate is my speedo?".

If you've got non standard wheels on your car then the change in circumference could make the speedo go either way.

MGS

Reply to
<MGS>

Tsk. Fallacious; Strawman.

Reply to
Huge

wrong wrong wrong. The implication I'm a speed freak is nowhere. Neither have I said motorists should get away with crazy speeding. What I have said is the ideas you are proposing for automatic controls is baloney.

Guy has not explained why limiting to 70 is not v dangerous. He has said that "he wouldn't say it is".

I want to know why he thinks the ability to exceed 70 'in times of need' is baloney.

Reply to
Doug

resorting to insults ....... perhaps you need to give up and go code something.

Reply to
Doug

Some HGV drivers carry a trailer-load of Kung-Fu experts.

Reply to
Silk

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And, of course, truck racing doesn't use road legal trucks.

Reply to
Adrian

Silk ( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Nah, they're checking too well at Dover these days.

Reply to
Adrian