Re: Finding an address for a truck firm

The message from "--Tom--" contains these words:

Any help? I searched google but loads of matches come up for "Auto > Carriers" > and there was no city name/phone number on the vehicle itself.

You could try the Traffic Area Office - or just ring the police.

Reply to
Guy King

go to yell.co.uk and do a search for auto carriers, dont put anything into location.

you get about 8 results, not many to pick through, just ring and ask if its there vehicle.

depending on what response you get it may be best to maybe change the reason why you are calling until one of them admits its there vehicles, ie say they left something at a motorway service area etc and your trying to trace them.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

THey can use lane 3 on a 4 lane carriageway.

You're wrong about the 75MPH though. THey have speed limiters fitted which prevent this. Even on a very steep hill they'll be lucky to do

  1. I wouldn't actually put anything in the letter about the 75MPH bit as it'll destroy all credibility of the rest of it with the company.
Reply to
Conor

Auto Carriers Ltd Graythorp House, Portrack Grange Close, Stockton On Tees, TS18 2PU

Reply to
Conor

The message from Conor contains these words:

I've had artics following me doing at least 70 before now. I can't believe all governors are un-tampered with.

Reply to
Guy King

Just as a point of interest, I'm not insinuating anything, would it not be possible to gerry rig the limiter? As I understand it the limiter is an electronic device that reads the speed from the speedo cable and shuts of the fuel to the injectors when the speed hits 56, right? So presumably it might even be as simple as removing a fuse. I know this wouldn't bypass the tachograph, but there must be some cowboy firms doing something like this out there.

Kevin

Reply to
Letharge

Speedos on cars and bikes are usually calibrated to be optimistic.

Although you could tamper with limiters on commercial vehicles, it's enormously unlikely when you think about the ease of detection, legality, sanctions and realistic opportunities for the driver to use the extra speed.

Reply to
Questions

Sorry for the wrap, but I honestly can't be arsed to sort it.

One of these?

?searchType=classic&ooa=on&keywords=&companyName=auto+carriers&location=england&x=0&y=0

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

this is not what indicating to the left means. ..........

Reply to
Doug

It would also be an *offence* to use the hard shoulder for a "chat" - they are for emergency use only!

Reply to
Adrian Boliston

The message from snipped-for-privacy@quickwatchsales.com contains these words:

Not to the extent that a vehicle limited to 56mph can chase me at 80!

My Montego reads about 70 when I'm doing 74. Actually, it reads 115kph when I'm doing 120kph. I know it's 115kph 'cos I've had my son timing me along the motorway between the marker posts which are 100m apart.

Reply to
Guy King

It was a 3 lane carriage way

Reply to
--Tom--

at the time I felt like more than a chat I wanted to give him a bloody seeing to, his antics in his huge truck might have scared the crap out of me but when it gets down to it without his big truck to abuse other road users with, the git would have been the one in pain...

Reply to
--Tom--

Are you sure that's right? I thought speedo's were only legally allowed to over-read, not under-read.

Kevin.

Reply to
Letharge

The message from "Letharge" contains these words:

Yes, sorry, I got that arse about face. I'm doing 115 when holding it at a steady 120kph on the speedo.

Reply to
Guy King

There was a TV programme on quite a while ago - would have been something like Panorama, saying that this was quite easy - and demonstrated using a coach on a runway/private land or something. The coach speedo/tacho thing was disconnected, and the vehicle was able to go above 100kph. Maybe this driver saw the programme and wanted to copy?

Reply to
Richard Bullock

Pretty much right. The limiter gets its signal from the tachograph head, in the form of a speed pulse, then depending on the type of engine, either tells the ECU to reduce the fuelling, or if it is a mechanical pump, there will be a device in the throttle linkage to physically move the throttle lever closed.

There are various ways of disabling the limiter, and it is a very common occurrence. The newer the truck, the harder it is, but none are impossible.

Reply to
SimonJ

Sounds like you need a course in anger management. Although the bad driving you describe cannot be excused, it does seem like you added to the situation by responding in an agressive manner. You probably made matters worse and risked your own life as well as those in the vehicles around you. Learn from it and move on.

Reply to
Silk

Modern vehicles are near impossible to tamper with. With older vehicles tampering is quite common. Basically the newer the vehicle, the safer your and hopefully more comfortable your trip will be.

Its about time they fitted speed limiters to cars anyway.

Reply to
David B

They do. Most big German cars are limited to 155mph.

Reply to
Robert Campbell