Re: Finding an address for a truck firm

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

How do you tie a variable limiter to the gearbox, Conor? It's easier in an automatic, but what happens going from a 70 to a 30 in a manual car? It just closes the throttle? Nice.

Besides, if all it does is close the throttle, what about the "manual over- ride"? The clutch pedal? How far do you think you could get through a 30 limit coasting in neutral from 70 before you hit 30? Far side of the village, easily? Down hill?

Reply to
Adrian

From Stanford University's Aircraft Design course notes:

Avionics represent ~12.7% of the cost of a modern airplane.

A 747-400 costs ~$175M.

So, twelve million quid.

Reply to
Grant

They do. Most big German cars are limited to 155mph.

You are a fool.

Pathetic!

Reply to
Hugo Taylor-Jones

You really have led a sheltered existence in the Transport Sector. When a switch is flicked it does a number of things. (A)The limitter is disabled, (B)The tacho is "put to sleep" as is mileometer etc, and (C)On board computer when inspected by VOSA or Police reads normal if fitted correctly. Have you experience of these devices or are you just showing your ignorance as usual?

Reply to
Ibrox©

Yes, but that's the cost of the full avionics fitment, not the cost of the basic avionics pack, and certainly not the cost of the auto pilot/auto land/auto take off.

12 million quid was what I saw spent not long ago on a major avionics refit to an entire fleet of aircraft, not just one plane.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Bullshit, it uses the INS.

Reply to
Steve Firth

May I suggest that instead of making up bollocks you go and read up on the technology first? I would guess that you are referring to XTRAC, which does not work as you describe. XTRAC is a way of getting a position fix in circumstances where reception is difficult - in building canyons, mountain gorges and under leaf clutter. It doesn't make the fix more accurate, it just gets a fix where one woudl not usually be possible.

however to do this takes considerable time and XTRAC trades off ability ot get a fix against real time figures and XTRAC is not useful for vehicle navigation because the reported position fix lags the actual position by "quite some distance".

In general if you use XTRAC on the move, by the time the navigation system says "take the next exit" you have already passed the exit and probably the associated on ramp as well (about 800 metres).

Reply to
Steve Firth

It being a weekend, I cannot help but be reminded of the famous "squawk" report:

Pilot: Auto-land bumpy on this aircraft. Technician: Auto-land not fitted to this aircraft.

I'll get me coat...

Reply to
John Laird

The lies were about the other part of the post where you claimed outrageous speeds of HGVs as judged by your clapped out Montegos speedo.

Not good enough. Unless you can guarantee you're looking at the post at exactly the same angle and pressing the button with exactly the same speed at exactly the same point as you pass each marker then its not good enough.

Reply to
Conor

Was only £400 for HGVs including fitting.

Reply to
Conor

He says his observed speed was 120km/hr which I make 33m/s, and he measured time over 2 or 3 minutes (something you snipped out). Hitting one-second accuracy should not be too difficult and even if he contrived to be 2 seconds or a lengthy 66m out, 2 seconds in 120 is still only about 1mph error. It *is* good enough. Except for you, apparently.

Reply to
John Laird

The message from Conor contains these words:

It'll be to within a tenth of a second or two which is plenty accurate over a couple of minutes for the sort of accuracy I'm interested in.

And if you really don't think HGVs travel faster than 70 sometimes then you're not looking.

Reply to
Guy King

GPS simply isn't accurate. If it were, the Army, RAF and Navy wouldn't f*ck about with the equipment needed to do the maths to provide actual accurate data. Note that most GPS guided weapons, using the correctly decoded data still aren't quoted as being as accurate as you seem to think your consumer piece of s**te GPS unit is.

Reply to
Doki

I've sat behind numerous artics going 70-75mph just before the northbound exit at jnct 9 of the M11. That's 70-75mph on the GPS and 80ish on both bike and car speedo.

And if Conor says any different then I don't care 'cos he talks out of his arse at the best of times.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Some people can auto-translate between right and left hand driving countries. Pedantry has its place and this isn't it.

Reply to
Dave J

Where does the Inertial Navigation System get its data from?

Reply to
David B

I said the width of a road ie 7 metres or so.

Reply to
David B

ummm how have i resorted to insults?

Reply to
David B

At

the horizontal accuracy is quoted as being < 7 metres

Reply to
David B

A tomahawk missile can manage an accuracy of around 10m with GPS, presumably fairly consistently. A consumer GPS unit may give you data that is apparently accurate to

Reply to
Doki