Re: Finding an address for a truck firm

Okay I'll rephrase. Its about time they fitted speed limiters to cars to prevent them exceeding the legal speed limit in the country they are registered in. I believe in Great Britain that speed limit is 70 mph.

Reply to
David B

Thereby destroying all motorsport that uses road registered cars.

(V'q or cercnerq gb jntre gung lbh'yy fnl fbzrguvat nybat gur yvarf bs abg tvivat n qnza.)

Reply to
Huge

I've never quite understood this endless whining about limiting cars top speeds:

1) The speed limit in France is 130kph which is ~80mph. In Germany and the Isle of Man they still have derestricted zones. I can drive, in a day, to any of these places so why should I want my car limited to 70mph?

2) It would in now way stop me doing 70mph down the nearest High Street.

Reply to
Scott M

The solution to that is simple. Fitting Intelligent Speed adaption to cars where the onboard speed limiter not only uses an onboard database and GPS but recieves speed limit updates from roadside beacons as well. In this way a car going to a circuit could be derestricted by a signal given to it on the entrance to the private site but repeater beacons on exit would ensure once back on public roads the car has to observe set speed limits.

Reply to
David B

You have to forgive the morons, they are incapable of driving safely at anything over twnty miles an hour and therefore think it their right to slow everyone down to their own retarded pace.

They don't realise that anyone with any sense feels that they should make themselves as safe as humanly possible, simply by never driving anywhere and staying out of everyone elses way.

Reply to
Dave J

We obviously need ISA (Intelligent Speed Adaptation) on all cars. Europe is talking about harmonising speed limits anyway. ISA ensures compliance with all speed limits through GPS location and an onboard database.

Reply to
David B

I'm a moron because I think speed limiters should be fitted to cars since they are already fitted to large vehicles ??

Reply to
David B

You're not a speed fascist, so it doesn't make any sense. Or indeed, to anyone who bothers to think about it.

Reply to
Huge

No it isn't. It looks like it might be to those who look at the glossy brochures produced by manufacturers and don't understand the technology, but it isn't.

For example, aircraft manufacturers still can't prevent collisions, even given (effectively) unlimited budgets and highly trained crew. What chance do car manufacturers stand with hostile environments, hostile users and severe price constraints?

Still doesn't solve the problem of adjacent roads with different limits.

Not all the places where motorsport takes place are circuits.

Last weekend I was competing here;

Who's going to pay for the kit? And what about when there are no events and it's a deer park?

[Derisive snort]

Yeah. Right.

The whole idea is stupid and pointless, anyway. There is no good correlation between speed and accidents.

Reply to
Huge

Whatever.

Reply to
David B

You can believe what you like, but you are wrong. In Great Britain the upper speed limit does not exist. 70mph is a limit applied on some roads in some parts of Great Britain and that is all.

BTW, are you seriously advocating that stopping cars from driving faster than 70mph in the UK would save significant numbers of lives?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Only when driving in fairyland.

Another example; Germany can't get their GPS based tolling system for trucks to work, despite huge cost and time overruns. And tolling is

*much* simpler than speed control.

Have you ever done any real-time process control? Only, I have, and "Intelligent Speed Adaptation" works only in people's imaginations.

Reply to
Huge

Have speed limiters reduced accidents?

Reply to
Huge

No. I hate f**king speed limiters. I don't drive my car at 70 mph on motorways. But I know they will be introduced eventually as they have been on large vehicles. I can't see any way of stopping Brussels from doing that.

Reply to
David B

Fitting them to large vehicles slows no one down, simply costs everyone slightly more money. Fitting them to cars would make every journey seem interminable, I couldn't put up with 70mph on an empty motorway in the middle of the night.

It would also quite possibly *cause* accidents as people would begin to vegetate on motorways, just sitting with foot flat on the floor 'waiting' to arrive.

Not that that would make much difference to you [David B] of course.

LOL.

Reply to
Dave J

Unfortunately they apparently have. I found this a while back :

David B

The message from "David B" contains these words:

Wouldn't take long before portable "off limits" beacons became available which you keep in the glovebox.

Reply to
Guy King

It does slow people down because noone wants to drive in lane 1 or lane 2 of a 3 lane motorway when there are speed limited vehicles in that lane. So everyone uses lane 3 which gets overcrowded and slows up leaving lane 1 and

2 emptier than lane 3 itself.

There hasn't been an increase in accidents on vehicles fitted with speed limiters. The opposite in fact.

Reply to
David B

David B ( snipped-for-privacy@daveb07890.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So why did you say "Its about time they fitted speed limiters to cars anyway."?

You said it less than two hours ago, so it should still be fresh in your mind... Message-ID:

Reply to
Adrian

Where there are parallel roads or even roads on top of each other, repeater beacons could ensure the correct speed is given to the onboard speed limiter overriding that contained in the vehicles database. These beacons would be at road level.

Reply to
David B