Re: Finding an address for a truck firm

I think you need to qualify that statement with an addition:

'In a small proportion of heavy vehicles'

Reply to
SteveH

But it already knows which way you're heading, which is a bloody good way to guess...

Reply to
Doki

Navtech data is not good enough to locate the road centre line.

If autoroute puts you on the right side of the road, it has first decided that you are on that road and heading in that direction. .

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

I know I shouldn't admit it, but what a great song.

Reply to
Silk

Huge ( snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Really? I'd have thought they were fairly heavily on-topic for uk.transport, and I'll remind you that motor racing is off-topic for uk.rec.driving next time you mention it.

Oh, and in case you hadn't noticed, I'm agreeing with your point.

Reply to
Adrian

Some statistics do.

Others don't.

Reply to
ian henden

Au contraire .... in this thread "Finding an address for a truck firm" (from which GPS has allowed us all to drift significantly), the subject matter has become such that we all ought to get our facts right.[1]. And since I am unable to find any reference to the acceptability or otherwise of "pedantry", it seems that it may be employed if desired. And the comment was intended to inject a little humour as well - or is that also prohibited?

[1] where "right" means correct, and not necessarily the opposite of "left".

Ian.

Reply to
ian henden

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

For a straightforward maximum speed limiter, with a precisely calibrated speedo already present, yes.

That's not what we're talking about here.

Reply to
Adrian

David B ( snipped-for-privacy@daveb07890.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Which means that you know that your position is somewhere within a circle with a radius of seven metres.

Probably.

Which means that you're on the Motorway, but the GPS thinks you're in a 30 limit.

Reply to
Adrian

Tim S Kemp ( snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

My Palm/TomTom/eTrex combination *has* put me on roads that I'm not on.

That's not good enough for speed limit enforcement.

Reply to
Adrian

So it is. I stand corrected.

Changing the Newsgroups line without saying so is a sign of utter wankerhood.

Reply to
Huge

At the end of the day, the way you have timed your car doing 115 is about the same way that plod so it using VASCAR. Its just a glorified stopwatch that relies on the office clicking the buttons at the right time, Once for you passing the first marker, second time for him passing it, third for you passing second marker and finally for him passing that second marker. So if its good enough for plod to do it then its good enough for you!!!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

He didnt say it was a 4 lane motorway and as most of the M6 is 3 lane then its fair to assume that it was 3 lane where this happened.

And even if it was 4 lane, is he allowed to straddle lanes 2 and 3

OP said in his post "Anyway he continued to travel within inches of my exhaust pipe". So *if* he was mistaken in thinking it was at 75Mph but indeed was only 56 does this make it ok to drive inches away from there bumper.

Like car drivers, like train drivers, like pilots, you have to accept that there are bad HGV drivers that unfortunatley give good people like youself Conor a bad name. Why do you always try and pick the weak points in someones account of an incident to protect someone that could well be a very dangerous driver. The OP was posting his opinion and account of the incident, some of which may be right, some of which may be inaccurate as we do tend to forget things in these situations. But if we assume its correct as Im sure OP will maintain then all we are to do is to help him make the complaint to the firm and hope that the truth comes forward and incidents like this dont happen again.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

And thats been discussed before, would never never never happen as it would be so so easy to tamper with and would completly screw the whole of the UK road system up. Imagine the sensor going faulty on a motorway and slowing everyone down to 20mph cos it thinks its in a school zone?

I quite regularily lose my GPS signal.last week I was driving through a loch in the Highlands for 4 mile............so my SatNav said anyway

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Well when you vote for the government that brings that idea in, make sure you tick the box that says "i am willing to pay 100% more council tax, car tax, fuel duty etc" to pay for road speed governing schemes. Would cost Millions to do UK wide. EVERY road in the Uk would have to be done.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In any case GPS nav systems are

No, they are not accuarate to a road width. The SatNAv systems see where you are within the tolerances that NASA allow for us to have and "locks" your postion onto the nearest road.

I say its NASA, it may not be, but GPS is owned by th US military or someone like that, and only they or who they allow can get very accurate positions from it. Anyone else is stuck to accurate within 10m or 15m etc. They can even put a off set into the system to through the enemies GPS systems out so the GPS will report its 100m away from where it really is.

GPS is not guaranteed reliable.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

And 747's and the systems that they rely on cost just a wee bit more than the average saloon............. (even a Roller)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I'd not thought of this before, but, are the US playing with the accuracy quite frequently? - like when they've got some operations going on they'll decrease the accuracy to throw the enemy off track?

Just a thought, as my GPS accuracy seems to vary from one day to the next sometimes.

Reply to
SteveH

Would you care to post these stas and the link please?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Because the software can see that you are within 10Meter of a particular road so it *guesses* that you are on that road and locks the icon to it. It hasnt a clue exactly where you are, just that you are near this road so assumes you are on it.

Using a TomTom satnav kit (or others), if you drive through a complictaed junction your position can occasianally jump from one road to an adjoing/crossing road as it trys to lock where it thinks you are to the nearest road available.

Steve

Reply to
Steve