Resetting service warning lights

or a dog chewing through the wires under the seat (been there and soldered the remains to fix it.)

Reply to
MrCheerful

The are also possibly backup batteries in some parts of some cars. But that's not to say they will feed the airbag trigger mechanism. Which I'd guess will need a fair bit of current.

Quite.

But if you disconnect the battery at the start, chances are it will be fine by the time you've actually got to the airbag to unplug it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A minute after disconnecting the battery seems far more likely to me.

And it's going to take more than a minute to put down the tools used to disconnect the battery and pick up those needed to remove the airbag. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can you explain why you'd need an airbag to work some 30 minutes or more after a car has totally lost power in an accident, etc?

Any form of electrical storage costs money. And the bigger that store, the more it costs. Car makers are well known for not spending a penny where a farthing will do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It?s hard to conceive of any reason why you would want airbags powered for so long, and easy to think of reasons why this would be a bad idea. Seems far more likely to me that the capacitor will be designed to discharge via a resistor over a much shorter period (less than a minute I?ll wager).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Are you going to disconnect the only thing that will supply current after a few seconds, the battery?

Reply to
dennis

Do you have a clue about how much energy is needed to detonate the explosives in an airbag?

Reply to
dennis

29 minutes later?
Reply to
dennis

Correct. I was talking about "honest" john.

Reply to
dennis

Want to post a link to one that says 30 minutes?

Reply to
dennis

I would sincerely hope the designers have enough sense to put high value bleeder resistors across any significant capacitive elements to drain any residual charge within 2 minutes.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Its faulty, the light is/has been on, so what you just said doesn't apply or even make sense. That is the whole point, you do not have a clue as to what will happen when the system has/is indicating a fault. It may fail to go off when it should, it may go off at some random point, it may even work as expected. Clearing the warning doesn't make it safe unless it also passes the tests, ie. its unsafe and therefore illegal under UK law. Its just as illegal as havining spiky bits of metal sticking out of a car.

Reply to
dennis

It's not that simple, Dave. Modern electronic modules and CPUs are made to be so energy-saving it results in as much high-impedance circuitry as possible, so even relatively small capacitances can take an age to discharge unless the designers have provided bleeder resistors.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

True but that isn't a service warning light, its a fault indicator that requires service.

Reply to
dennis

dennis@home explained on 28/04/2018 :

It is technically possible to enable them to still fire days later, it is also possible to have them still able to fire at 29 minutes later, but not at 30 minutes later.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Why don't you tell us, since you're such an expert?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The manual for mine (not a Volvo) states to leave it for 5 minutes after disconnecting the battery. And they've probably added a couple of extra minutes to get to this figure just to be on the safe side.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Given that its acceptable to disable an airbag (say when you have an infant in a read facing seat on the passenger seat), then I would be surprised if driving with a non functional airbag is actually an offence.

Reply to
John Rumm

I would expect any safety critical design to fail safe...

For example I had a dodgy sensor on one car with ABS. If you hit a pothole with the rear offside wheel it would cause the ABS warning light to come on. At that point the ABS system as a whole was then inhibited, and the breaking system reverted to a normal non ABS one. A design decision, that elected to possible disable the breaks entirely on detection of a fault, would hopefully not get through a design review!

Reply to
John Rumm
[30 lines snipped]

"Brakes".