Resetting service warning lights

Who gives a shit?

Reply to
MrCheerful

Recently it was as simple as the reader telling me to change a specific sensor. 10 minutes to put out a light. It took longer to source the component.

Your point?

Reply to
Fredxx

No problem, it did seem out of character. Apologies for an abrupt reply below.

Reply to
Fredxx

That's a bit rich, how about telling us the legislation that makes it illegal to drive a car with the ABS light disabled.

Reply to
Fredxx

It's a safety critical system, clearing a fault code by plugging in a diagnostic tool (either the official one or an aftermarket one) does not stop the constant checking of system integrity. That unchanged functionality is by specific design.

By clearing a fault code you do not make the system unstable and non compliant with any type approval or Construction and Use legislation.

If the vehicle undergoes another ignition off followed by an ignition on event it will initiate an airbag check at which point the airbag fault light and a fault code will be set again.

I know for certain some airbag ECU's plus some ABS ECU's are hard coded with separate PROM's or if integrated with the processor they used an on chip OTP or masked PROM area of memory. In the case of the former nothing you do short of aggressively removing some very thick conformal coating, desoldering the PROM, reverse engineering and substituting new firmware with the correct checksum can ever alter the configuration of that ECU. In the case of the latter it will be effectively impossible.

Every airbag related connector in my experience is colour coded, with two means of pin backout prevention, with a means of ensuring positive engagement and a means of preventing connector separation by tugging on the wiring or the two halves of the connector. The manufacturers take this subject very seriously.

But despite that it's extremely easy to set an airbag fault code if you perform work on any part of the airbag system without suitable upfront actions, those might just be battery disconnection but could also include the separation of specific electrical connectors. Removing a steering wheel or a seat without those precautions can very easily set an airbag fault light and a fault code, clearing that code by recognised means DOES NOT make the vehicle unsafe.

Reply to
The Other Mike

*May* tell you what needs servicing. You haven't had much experience with car maintenance have you?
Reply to
dennis

You claim 3-4 volts will detonate an airbag but its not the volts that does it but, you don't give a shit as long as you can give an answer however wrong it is.

Reply to
dennis

The specific details have alrteady been given in this thread even if I got the wrong section it was corrected by the following poster. Don't you read stuff that proves you wrong? must be a brexiteer, they do that all the time.

Reply to
dennis

You still haven't quoted a manual that says 30 minutes or anywhere near that.

Reply to
dennis

Just in case you have forgotten the OP didn't want to clear the code he wanted to disable it!

Just so you understand that is not the same as clearing the code and running diagnostics.

Reply to
dennis

There is no specific legal requirement for cars used on the road to have an airbag.

Reply to
MrCheerful

And you act as if you don't have a clue how little energy it can take to fire an electro-pyrotechnic initiator thin film chip resistor these days.

Reply to
Robin

When was the last time you hooked up your laptop with a ELM327 pod to your car?

Reply to
Fredxx

I don't see any statute being quoted. It must be hiding very well, or you're proving yourself to be utterly dishonest.

Reply to
Fredxx

I have here:

Fredxx

Do you have anything constructive to say?

So far, all you have done is prove you know nothing. Can you prove 3-4 volts won't detonate an airbag?

Reply to
Fredxx

I mean its acceptable from a legal PoV (obviously essential from a safety one)

Reply to
John Rumm

If its detecting a fault condition then it should be rendered safe by its control system. (even if the fault is just in the detection system)

Reply to
John Rumm

That's not acceptable for safety critical system. Either it works as intended or its locked out from operation.

It may not be able to fix it, but it can cease doing what is required to keep it active. (the hardware default should be to disable it, like any safety critical system)

Reply to
John Rumm

The point is that volts on their own mean nothing. You need some current flow. My guess is an airbag firing mechanism actually takes a fair bit of current. But not something I'm willing to check out myself. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)