Resetting service warning lights

Where with the appropriate knowledge of the device, the current can be derived from the applied voltage.

Reply to
Fredxx

If you know anyone that likes to put their feet up on the dash make them stop. If the air bag goes off their knee goes though their head.

Don't cross your hands on the steering wheel so your arm is between you and the air bag. If it goes off you break your face.

Even 10 to 2 is claimed to be risky.
Depending on religion (petrolhead wars) this may be worse.

Peter Hill

If you remove it you have to remove the whole system including the warning light and it's label (tapped over).

Seat belts can be removed, if you remove the seat as well. May get an advisory on MOT. "xxxx seat belt not tested as not present and no seat". I've put cars though MOT re-test with no interior after taking the carpet out for welding. Just drivers seat and seat belt. Having a seat belt present but no seat is also a fail.

You can weld doors shut if you remove the seat that is accessed by that door. If you have a seat and can't open the door that's a fail as a guy at work found last month on his Aston (£300 for 10 min work, a coffee and a complimentary car wash). It worked the week before but didn't work at the MOT.

I know many people that have removed ABS systems when converting to bigger discs and 4 pot brakes as it firms up the pedal and gives them an effective 1" brake master cylinder instead of the stock 15/16". Has the car become a "dangerous vehicle"? NO.

Reply to
Peter Hill

a pp3 will do it, according to you tube

Reply to
MrCheerful

I haven't had a fault in my cars for 12 years now. But unlike you I can fix stuff down to component level not just the modules they sell in dealers. I used to design high availability systems for a living so I probably know a bit more about these things than you.

Anyway why would I use a laptop when I can use a esp8266 to read the codes if I want to?

Reply to
dennis

It appears the software can reset airbag/SRS warnings on VAG cars (which the software is intended for) but it may be that it can't do the same for 'generic' cars where it only does the more standard OBD functions.

Reply to
Andy Burns

What if the fault is in the disarming/control system? It may be able to detect and report it but not control it.

Its faulty, there is no way the user can know what will happen. Even the mechanics in the garage can't know what will happen until the system has been diagnosed and repaired.

There are even going to be faults that it can't detect and they are the more worrying ones.

Reply to
dennis

Try designing one that can cope with all faults. Its not possible. All you can do is layer systems that check each other but even then its not 100%. They also rely on someone doing the correct thing if a fault is indicated, not just ignoring it.

So you have a fault in the control system and its supposed to stop itself from doing something? Doesn't take much thought to realise that if its faulty it may not be able to do what was intended.

Reply to
dennis

That's a 'NO' then.

I can also fix stuff down to component level. But a good staring point will be to use a device to get the fault codes.

An esoteric ESP8266 microcontroller is going to be hard work to extract the codes where a £5 ELM327 can do it in seconds. Perhaps you have nothing better to do with your time, just waiting for your final day rather than assigning value to each day you have left?

Reply to
Fredxx

I read them on my phone via Bluetooth!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Dennis hasn't got a phone, and thinks Bluetooth will be in a whale's mouth.

Yet thinks he can easily use a "esp8266" to read the codes.

Reply to
Fredxx

You've clearly never worked on safety critical systems.

Reply to
Fredxx

So do you know how much current they take to fire?

My educated guess is quite a bit. It's not something you'd want to be triggered by random pulses in a car's electrics. Unless you have a better guess?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You have used some of the safety critical systems I have worked on (as in design bits). I can guaranty that.

How? because the emergency services use them every day. You have never designed anything from your inability to understand simple things.

Reply to
dennis

You want an airbag still to be active 30 minutes after an accident where the car electrics have failed?

Does this mean the emergency services disconnect the battery then wait 30 minutes before doing anything?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It says 'up to' which could mean anything from zero to thirty. Presumably the intent is to stop meddling without allowing 30min hands-off time to allow the power source to discharge.

Reply to
mechanic

To be fair, he's thinking ESP as in psychic. Poor thing probably misheard someone referring to his psychosis.

Reply to
Richard

Yes there is, try looking at the UK construction and use regulations. They apply after a certain date. There are seperate laws that say if they are fitted they have to work so you can't get away with saying they don't need to be fitted to a car because it predates the requirements. You will find it applies to a lot of things on cars if you bother to look.

Reply to
dennis

Its only canbus not rocket science.

Reply to
dennis

Can you prove that 4V via 1 meg resistor can? How about a 1 nano farad capacitor at 12V can that do it? for someone that claims to know things your level of understanding is poor.

Reply to
dennis