Resetting service warning lights

What is that wishy washy statement supposed to mean?

Reply to
dennis

Try reading the thread as you are missing bits and I don't know which ones. For all I know you are lying about not having seen the two posts.

Reply to
dennis

That is not a manual. It has no more authority than you saying it takes 30mins. Try harder.

Reply to
dennis

I am bored with arguing with people that think they know every thing but can't even workout the difference between voltage and energy. Even after you specifically talk about joules to give them a clue.

I even wonder if some of them are still in the decade where they used compressed air for the airbags and you had to wait a minute or two for the compressors to get up to pressure before they were ready to work. They could take a while for the air pressure to discharge and be safe. AFAIK they never fitted systems like that to British cars and they have all been pyrotechnic with igniters.

Reply to
dennis

You once again demonstrate how little a clue you have of me and more generally of the things you claim.

Reply to
Fredxx

Is ohms law beyond you?

Reply to
Fredxx

You have just proven yourself to be utterly dishonest.

There is no such post here. You can't prove this any more than telling us the legislation that makes it illegal to drive a car with the ABS light disabled.

Reply to
Fredxx

It is more authority that your hearsay. Someone who doesn't seem to know of ohms law.

Reply to
Fredxx

I know enough to ask what's your source for the specs. of EPICs fitted in airbags over the years? And are you confident that no airbags use the ones which can be triggered by as little as 50 microJoules?

Reply to
Robin

No there isn't.

Nope.

What separate laws?

Which you can't find yourself, or you would have posted here the relevant statute.

Reply to
Fredxx

Only? Have you ever written a Canbus stack on a micro?

I'll stick with my cheap ELM427. As has been pointed out there are some Bluetooth variants out there too. There are apps on phones as well.

On the other hand you can write the code yourself if you have nothing better to do.

Reply to
Fredxx

Only an idiot would want to power equipment through a 1 Megohm resistor.

You don't have a clue.

Reply to
Fredxx

Note that I have no direct experience with air bag control systems - its possible they are all designed by muppets with no safety critical embedded system design nous, but I am going to guess not! (most of the safety critical things "that can go bang" I have worked on were typically parts of systems that were designed to kill you!)

However, the design philosophy with control systems in charge of potentially lethal hardware will take the approach that you have to work hard to actually activate and fire it. If anything fails in the software, then it can't fire. If the hardware detects a fault, then it can't be activated and so on. Then there must be redundant hardware so that there are multiple interlocks, to prevent failure of any one part defeating the interlocks.

Which should just mean it can't activate it.

Reply to
John Rumm
[65 lines snipped]

Although I've never worked on "defence" systems, I have worked on process control, so ...

Although all this is true, cars are savagely "engineered" down to a cost and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that much of this has been omitted. After all, consider the various scandals concerning automative safety over the years, e.g.;

I'd be prepared to wager that the manufacturers have balanced the cost of spurious activations against the cost of enhanced engineering. But then, car mechanics are notoriously ham-fisted!

BTW, this looks interesting, and I shall file it away for future reading (who am I kidding?);

Huge

Reluctant as I am to intrude into other people's arguments the obvious example here surely, is seatbelts.

In vehicles which were originally manufactured and supplied without seatbelts - classic and vintage cars etc then theres no requirement to wear a seatbelt. The only limitation is a prohibition on carrying children under the age of 3 years old in such vehicles.

This even applies to models where welding suitable mounting points wouldn't present much of a problem. As is sometimes done by owners who maybe prioritise safety, and possibly lower insurance premiums over total period authenticity.

michael adams

michael adams

Surely it's time we banned these death-traps?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Quite. If airbags really were so 'touchy' there would be countless stories about them going off when a car was having welding done. etc. Or rocked by the wind - which sets off so many alarms.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There, fixed it for you.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

But not always fully, it seems. 12V appears to be the expected voltage. I'm not sure what explosive they use inside these bags; I'd guess lead azide or something similar 'cos something like mercury fulminate would be too unstable. And do they only need a primer, or a secondary propellant as well? It would be interesting to know how they're initially fired when that 12V is applied.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Looks like it. Why persist in feeding this troll?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom