What to stick on his windscreen which wont come off easily? [OT]

There's also the (not uncommon) situation where the child just can't sleep, so you take them out for a ride in the car...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Good for you.

But I do wonder how your child became addicted to the other stuff before then.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh.

I see.

I think.

I wonder what you did with the minutes you saved ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

er - no-one's forcing you to read anything, or even switch on your pc.

Take a hold of yourself, man, have some self discipline. If you carry on reading what's here you'll end up as insane as we are.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ice oe - isert your ow.

I know

Well, I'm closer than some :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You do not need to have " physical trouble"walking but there are people like myself which walking any great distance can bring on an Angina attack I do suffer from arthritis also which walking any distance causes pain .

Reply to
dexter

At times. Other times, very much not so. But my life, comfy or not, is what caused mankind to come down from the trees and start making things.

So you take the sharp stone, craft it into the desired shape. It is now not a random object, but a "thing" you have fashioned. You use it to make your snares, axes, or other implements. These then also become things upon which you depend. Somebody accidentally or delierately breaks your stone implement, thereby requiring you to make another, something you would otherwise not have had to do, and something that due to your responsibility to the expanding communitiy you cannt do without. Your thing has been broken during hunting season, when you need to be gathering for the winter, which is when you would normally be making new things, or repairing the old ones.

The thing can be something as simple as a flint axe, my point is that humans have managed to evolve in a way that in most climates requires objects to survive, so if people want to take it to the most basic level when saying "things" aren't important, they're really talking crap. Electricity isn't important to a group still living in a (probably far more sustainable and enjoyable) culture, but try going without any of the things it provides in this country. Even living in a cardboard box requires someone somewhere to have made that box, and living in a tree tends to get you locked up for being a loony! ;)

Reply to
Stuffed

I live in a part agri, part retirement, part leftover small town in the south. The community is made from those who have been left behind as the farms get ever smaller and better at producing more for less workforce, retired wealthy people who choose to live in the pretty buildings in a semi rural location on the outskirts, and the very few who manage to find decent usually skilled employment.

Most of the somewhere inbetweens live out of town, commuting to the more diverse cities in the county.

However, I accept that this place is somewhat unusual, compared to many smaller towns I've been to/ lived in over the years.

Reply to
Stuffed

The blurb I found online didn't seem to say that, but I might just look into it if it means having the extra I could do with, without taking more money out the system (that I would obviously like, but don't feel I honestly need :)

Reply to
Stuffed

For all you know, that family could have been coming back from a hospital visit to a dying relative, returning from holiday, or any other of a multitude of reasons. However, as you seem to believe that you are always in the right and everyone else is wrong, I'll assume you'll ignore this post.

Mind you, if there wasn't a good reason to have a child out at that time, I'd have to agree with you that it was irresponsible in the extreme.

Reply to
Richard Colton
[...]

Tesco is possessing a shop, nothing (in this context) is possessing Tesco.

The form

"I had to pop out to Tesco's earlier today."

is an elision of

"I had to pop out to Tesco's shop earlier today."

The apostrophe can indicate abbreviation but in this instance it indicates possession.

"Tesco's shop" is equivalent to "The shop of Tesco".

The definitive resource on the apostrophe:

Alistair J Murray

Fair enough, but do you take any steps (excuse the pun), to reduce the amount you walk around the supermarket? The distance saved parking in a disabled spot compared to a normal spot seems to be about the length or one or at the most two supermarket isles.

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

Perhaps this would be one occasion when the ID system would clamp down on the family :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't know if it's definitive or not (whose definition in any case?) because I couldn't read it easily so gave up.

Sorry!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sure. It's logic.

Take a couple which only has one kid. From that, you could conclude that 2 out of 3 people have kids. Take a couple that has 8 kids and from that you could conclude that only 2 in 10 people have kids. If the average person has less than one child, that may well simply mean that there's lots of kids.

I don't believe we are dangerously overcrowded. But should we wait until that's the case before considering it?

Taxation.

andyt

Reply to
Andy Turner

No it doesn't, it means that child was deficient in some part of its body.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Sorry, that was supposed to read "ten minutes". Getting in and out of a car is a major undertaking for Mum. Since I was already in the driving seat it seemed daft to swap over just so she could reverse down the drive.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Remembering, of course, that I have more than the average number of legs.

Reply to
Guy King

Depends on what I'm doing and whether its a good/bad day.

No, really?

Reply to
Conor

Thats gonna be dear when you hand it back.

Reply to
Conor