Saxo VTR induction kit?

I'm not disputing its not a good car, I've driven many little PSA cars and they're all a good drive, but newer cars are not good value for money because of the money you lose in depreciation. My car cost me £700, and £700 in insurance and its a n/a mk1 MR2. Definately better performance than a VTR, and probably marginally better than a VTS. Other cars that are better for money are the 205/309 GTi, mk2 Astra GTE, Rover 220 (n/a or turbo), Saab 900 Turbo, BMW 325i/318iS, hell for the money of a new Saxo you could get a Scooby WRX!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

They're not particulary expensive, you can pick up a nice one for £3k, and they're surprisingly reliable!

But its a Capri, and as such, old and ugly :)

Thats not really a young persons car...

Classic or not, someone our age could never insure a Porsche. And i'm almost certain we couldn't insure the Merc or the Capri - bear in mind that they'd almost certainly be the only car someone owned, and are likely to not qualify for a classic policy (commuting and stuff).

Reply to
DanTXD

But as i said somewhere else in this thread, you can pick up a nice VTR for £3k, and out of those cars you list, for someone like 18/19 they would all be either uninsurable or about £2k+.

Reply to
DanTXD

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, DanTXD decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Old is good. It's also RWD with no TC / ESP / ABS / Airbags etc.

No, but it's quicker than a Saxo VTR...

I had a 1978 911 3.0 SC Sport when I was 22, on a classic policy, and it cost me less than £450 a year, fully comp.

So as that was 12 years ago, it'd probably work out at around £1000-£1200 for someone age 22 now, what with the mental price of insurance now.

I know what I'd be buying, and it wouldn't be a bloody Saxo.

Reply to
Pete M

It would be loads more than that - my 22 year old mate is paying £1k+ on a

2.2 Astra, thats only group 14, and he has no claims and shit. I don't think you'd be able to get insurance at all. Plus, theres the running costs, and what if you dinged it parking? Porsche panels are silly money aren't they? And Porsche parts in general?
Reply to
DanTXD

So add insurance on to that £3k, so say £4k in total with FC. You could pick up any of those cars for under a grand. Insure it for £1500 (all except maybe the scooby and turbos) and you've still saved yourself a shit load of money. Or chose the model down from some of those cars and you've still got VTR performance for a fraction of the price! Why the hell would you want to go spend £3k on a car at 18 anyway? Unless your (or your parents) are minted its ridiculous.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, DanTXD decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

A 2.2 Ashtray isn't going to be an old car. Therefore Insurance companies bang the premium through the roof. Buying new cars is a great way of getting yourself a massive insurance premium.

The 911 will use a lot more fuel than the Astra, think 18-19 mpg in town, they're reliable as anything provided you do the basics. I.E, change the oil regularly, and check it weekly.

If you ding cars when you're parking, you shouldn't be allowed to drive. Besides, my 911 is probably smaller than an Astra, and you can see all four corners clearly from the drivers seat. However, panels are quite cheap if you don't mind non-galvanised nasty copies. I've never had to price them from Porsche, because I've never dented one.

Reply to
Pete M

companies

Actually, from what I've seen newer cars tend to be cheaper. The cars that get stollen are almost always old because they are easy to nick. Based on age alone insurance is usually a bit cheaper. They usually have better safety etc too. Logic would suggest that a newer car is worth more, so should cost more to insure, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Well my 20 year old car car is also a group 14 (i think) and costs no where near £1k, and that's with only 1 years NCB and an accident declared, and the mods declared and I'm 23.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Get some quotes, then discover the truth.

Simple example.

1988 Rover 820 - £370 p.a 1997 Rover 820 - £620 p.a

New cars are laden with safety crap. You have a bump in a new car and there's a good chance you'll have to replace something electronic somewhere. Whether it's an airbag sensor or whatever. If you need to get a door repaired, very often you need to reset the side airbag system if the repair involves actually getting inside the door to push a dent out. If you bump the bumper on a newish car you'll probably break an airbag sensor or a sensor for parking radar.

None of this is free. Garages don't reset computers for nothing, not if the insurance company is paying. This puts premiums up.

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Problem is that classic policies are very rarely available to under-25s now.

Reply to
Adrian

In news:Xns963A8FC81B03Badrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170, Adrian decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Ah well, shit happens.

Still no excuse for spending £6k+ on a car to get "free" insurance though

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'm the LAST person to be defending buying a new car...

Reply to
Adrian

MK1 MR2 also has the right wheels going round and probably better handling

Reply to
Vamp

You could pick up a good Polo G40 for around £1500 and it would probably spank the lot of them with a few small modifications, even if it does look a little girly.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

that'sa bit steep! i was 22 when i insured my MR2 turbo and that's group 20 and i have 2 years NCB and pay £1032 FC and i have 3 points hehe. should be cheaper this year hopefully 23 now and got a few insurance companies i'm gonna try. spent loads on my car, £5k buying the car £1k on insurance, servicing is ok on it mind for the performance

Reply to
Vamp

F'raid I would agree, the Saxo IMHO is bloody shit! - They blow head gaskets very often I am told by people in the trade.

I know of one garage selling one who refused people to test drive it unless they spoke money first, cos all the chavs wanted a test flight.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

A 'little' ? :)

Reply to
LordyUK

insurance,

This is stupid. I payed just over =A3500 (fully comp), I'm 21, clean licience, 2 years NCB, insurance group 1, 899cc, and not worth much! I'm supprised they'd insure you on a group 20 car :-o.

My car cost me =A32.1k to buy, and I've spent =A32.5k on 3 years insurance!

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

I payed ~£500 this year with 1 years NCB on a group 14 Citroen BX.

My renewal last year for my group 14 Carlton was ~£430.

I was 23 when all this was going on.

So, a year older, a year's extra no claims and the premium is still £70 higher. How does that work?

It proved to me what I had always suspected: Insurance groupings actually make very little difference to the cost of insuring an individual to drive a vehicle.

Presumably, the disparity in price of insuring vehicles of the same insurance group means something like more people my age have taken out bus ques in their Dad's BX as opposed to their Grandad's Carlton. The insurance companies know this so load the premiums accordingly.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne