Saxo VTR induction kit?

I can't be arsed to reply - consider this thread to be complete :)

Reply to
Nom

Well I find 120bhp WWD scarey, yet find 220bhp RWD fun, as for 4WD best fun I had was 13bhp of Lister twin Diesel

Reply to
Martin

Never mind

Reply to
Martin

Real-world performance is about the same, but the Sierra is rusty, loud, cramped and uncomfortable. It's probably broken too, and it's got a theft-target-rating of 100%. I fail to see how it's worth the extra. Ask Lordy - he ran a Cossie in tandem with his TI, and he didn't rate it any higher.

...because it's a modern car with modern security - hence the low grouping.

I see three cars of a broadly similar class, offering broadly similar performance. Of the three, the Astra is the most refined, and it's the one I'd choose. It also offers the cheapest premium.

Today, is not "when you were 27" :) If today's young-driver (because that's what we were discussing) attempted to insure a an Integrale or a Cosworth, what do you think would happen ? He'd either get laughed off the phone, or he'd have a premium of £all.

But that's not the case ! Old fast cars are *very* expensive for today's young drivers, because they all carry crazy high groupings, and there's no electronics to prevent crash-and-die.

Reply to
Nom

Go into a roundabout fast press sport and floor the throttle = power slides

Reply to
Martin

So how come my 1998 Fiat is group 18 or 19? I doubt it is any more powerful than the Astra or any lighter and the owner's club say that there's never been one hot-wired; all of them that have been nicked have been via stealing the keys.

Reply to
andrewr

It's almost impossible to hotwire a modern Fiat - the CODE immobiliser is one of the most secure systems ever fitted as standard (basically you need £1k worth of ECU and lockset if you don't have the keys).

The insurance grouping is partly to do with the performance (I've seen them described as 'FWD Supercars') and the very expensive to repair bodywork - there's no way 'Dentmaster' or a back street bodger could fix one if you pranged it.

Reply to
SteveH

They're fairly quick, but are they any faster than an Astra Turbo?

Yeah, but are they _really_ that much worse than any other car?

Reply to
andrewr

In message , andrewr writes

Which Astra Turbo? The quickest currently out is the 200 bhp version of the Sri; 200bhp / 151bhp/ton 151mph /7.3s 0-60 /group 16E. The 20V Turbo coupe is 220bhp / 171bhp/ton 155mph /6.4s 0-60 /group 18. The 20V NA coupe is 147bhp / 118bhp/ton 128mph /8.3s 0-60 /group 17.

I wonder how much the insurance grouping is objective risk, and how much it gets inflated by "what would someone be willing to pay to drive one of these".

Reply to
Steve Walker

The Cossie is much less likely to be rusty than the Rover, it's a bigger car inside and out, is only loud if fitted with a silly pipe.

The Rover is a Honda Accord with a slightly pokey motor and british "build quality". *Much* more cramped than a 1990 Cosworth.

It's the worst of the three. You really haven't got a clue have you?

I'm 34, ffs. It's not *that* long ago.

Mk3 Capri 3.0S. Group 12.

More fun than anything FWD apart from a Pug 205 1.9.

Reply to
Pete M

Worked 6 days a week, went on holiday, beach in afternoon, pub most nights, went clubbing at the weekend, worked on car etc.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

But I dont give a toss about image, so that irrelevant to me :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

FFS, if you where looking at 106 GTI's or the VTS you'd hardly be able to insure an E30 M3 now would you?

Mason

Reply to
Mason

They handle very, VERY well. I enjoyed mine contantly.

The VTS is a lot quicker that people credit it too.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Generally I find that not true.

When I had my series 1 RST it cost as much to insure as a brand new civic type R, my current festa runabout costs me £500 to insure, I could insure (insert name of new hatch here) for the same price.

Theres often a premium for younger drivers on older cars.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

As i'm only using this fiesta for a short while I only really wanted TPFT. It would have cost £74 more that FC.

I'm unsure on the grouping of the car, can't be arsed to search. It's the

1.6Si on a 95 M plate so shouldn't really cost me much to insure.

I paid 100's a year less to insure the raider all mods declared.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Errrr, interesting logic there

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I guess you didn't go to Uni in Hull. Was your rent more than £24.50 a week ?

I did all of the above, except I worked 0 days a week in term time :)

Reply to
Nom

Because it's very quick, and very easy to crash. It's got high repair costs, and it's attractive to thieves. You already know how insurance groupings are decided.

Reply to
Nom

Yes. Lots. They're lighter, and they've got an extra 23bhp.

No. That's why they're not Group 20 !

Reply to
Nom