can a 215/45R17 be used to replace a 225/65-17 tire

Thanks for the kind words, Richard. I used to participate at rec.photo.digital a few years back, but not recently. I'll have a look at alt.photography and see what's going on there.

Best,

Don Photo Website at:

[Remove the "lens cap" for email]

Reply to
Don Cohen

Just explaining why people find this question so odd. I see people buy these new and first thing they do is fill them up with cheap gas, then complain about "why did it start running bad?"

Reply to
Steve T

When starting my 01 in the morning or when car is completely cool the engine revs to about 3500 or so rpm,s during the first 2 seconds then quickly comes down and levels off. It seems that the colder the temperature is the higher this surge is. Is this a problem? I know that

2 seconds is a short time but isnt all the oil down in the crankcase after it has sat all night? Is there a quick fix for the DIY'er? Thanks.Tony.
Reply to
leftony

Understood.

Best,

Reply to
Don Cohen

Not quite. Yes, you can clean your throttle body, but the non-stick coating requires that you use throttle body cleaner that is "safe for feul injected engines." Regular Carburator cleaner will destroy that non-stick coating.

If you used carb cleaner in your throttle body then the caot is gone and your car will gum up with carbon faster than normal. It won't die, just get dirtier (internally) faster.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Hmmm. let's look at the pattern;

Gen 3 Maxima, 1989 to 1994 (6 years) Gen 4 Maxima, 1995 to 1999 (5 years) Gen 5 Maxima, 2000 to 2003 (4 years) Gen 6 Maxima, 2004 to ???? (3 years?)

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Well, I proceeded with this on Sunday. All day Sunday. Hour after hour, Sunday. A Sunday that will not be forgotten anytime soon.

And I'm still not done.

I did get the CV joint off the car without removing the shaft. Oh, I had to slam the hell out of it with a ball peen hammer. That should have told me something. After I cleaned it up rather fastidiously, I could not get it back on. The splines would not line up. No way, no how.

I finally took the shaft off the car, but still couldn't get the joint back on. After I beat the wood block (between the shaft and the hammer) nearly to pieces, I really got upset and started in on it metal-to-metal.

Accomplished nothing, except ruin the bolt threads by flattening the end of the shaft!

It's like the joint was pressed on, more than anything. Not just sitting on the splines. What's up with this??

I've just placed an order for a new shaft for Tuesday. I'll spring for the extra $30 over a reman to, hopefully, reduce the chances of having a do-over.

Reply to
jmattis

Parts cost me about $350 with shipping from AZ to TN. I did the job myself (I'm not that mechanically inclined either) but can read directions. Scaryest part was the back three cylinders and spark plugs (might as well do them while you're at) as you have to do it nearly by touch. Can't see squat back there, unless your like 6'2" tall and can lean over that far?

I've heard quotes to be about the $600 range. F> Can some one give me an idea the cost for dealer to replace

Reply to
mawalsh

Hello Im doing a research on my wife's '90 Nissan Maxima V6 3.0L at 196k miles. So First of all, that the lights in dashboard isnt working, sometimes the temp. gauge works, engine check lights on and off during driving. Also the engine is kinda shaking, could be a carb or fuel filter needs clean? What do you think?

-Jeremy Johnson

Reply to
StubbornSmoker420

soon I hope,

The 04's look butt freaking ugly (IMHO).

Reply to
NissTech

I would change the fuel filter and get a good injector cleaner to add to your gas. Then I would think about using a throttle body cleaner.

Reply to
widetracking

Reply to
john smith

Reply to
john smith

Reply to
john smith

A "rap" on the center race while pulling on the joint will remove them. Force isn't the answer.

Actually it was the circlip that was your problem, You have to push on the joint while working the circlip back into it's groove, it should slip back onto the shaft by hand (or at the most a bump with a rubber mallet) and yes you've ruined the axel.

People have watched me do this and then bitch because I charge ~$100 to replace them. Only people like you that have tried it themselves understand it's not simple. Sorry you didn't post a question before you got rough with it..

Reply to
Steve T

Good ideas..

- check the TB myself (duh)

- don't use any cleaners that'll remove the non-stick coating

Makes me puke that the dealer can charge $125 for a TB cleaning service that includes nothing more than spray.

Thanks guys. Pat

Reply to
ali

Reply to
ali

sacrificing

No offense intended, but this question HAS been asked dozens of times in the past couple years. As other posters have stated, you'll damage your engine. Don't do it. You're still getting a killer deal compared to the dozens of SUVers paying $40 (Explorer)-$100 (Excursion) to fill their tanks! =)

Reply to
Rich

Amen to that (the butt ugly assessment). I think I have only seen about 4 of them on the road since they came out.

Everybody I know who owned and enjoyed the previous two generati> soon I hope,

Reply to
E. Meyer

Hi, I've just got a new Maxima 05 and discovered what seems to be a problem. When I test drove the car at the dealer everything seems fine, but once in the city, I've noticed that when one of the front wheels hits a pothole, while the other one stays on flat surface, something seems to rattle inside the steering wheel column. Its not only vibration, but also a noise as if something is loose. Is this potentially normal or maybe a sign of a serious problem. I'll take it back to the dealer in couple of days, but I would like to get some idea of whatis going on before I do. Thanks!

Reply to
alex