can a 215/45R17 be used to replace a 225/65-17 tire

2002 Maxima SE - Not sure if this has been this way all along and I've never noticed or if its new. When I first step on the clutch, I can feel vibration in the clutch pedal within about the first third of pedal travel. The "vibration" is really more like feeling something rotating. Car shifts fine and there is no slipping.

Anyone notice this on their 5th gens? I've been driving manuals for 21 years, so I don't think its abuse or technique. Car is out of bumper to bumper warrranty period based on time but has only 28K. If this is a problem, should a mechanical defect be covered under the 5 yr/60K powertrain warranty?

Reply to
John

Sounds like the thrust bearing. Greg.

Reply to
Greg

Or a sticky master or slave cylinder.I doubt they would be anxious to fix this, but maybe if you pushed hard enough.

Reply to
JimV

Sounds like your seals are worn out. Bad seals don't allow the fluid pressure to keep the clutch packs engaged fully which does not transmit the rotational power. It feels like a slipping manual clutch but when you rev it up, the pressure builds and then the clutch pack engages, but then slips as the pressure bleeds off. You can pour in a can of that tranny fluid conditioner which has some kind of methyl ethyl ketone chemical that swells the rubber seals. It'll help for awhile but it won't be long until you be standin' still!!! Mine cost me

1500 big US rubles.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

Or the clutch packs are just shot at 180K...

Reply to
JimV

It's too late for that to fix anything..

Exactly.

Reply to
Steve T

designed

Reply to
alex

So you bought a Kia? Did you mistake it for the Toyota dealer?

Reply to
Rich

transmit the

though i had no idea on the precise diagnosis, i've been planning on the car kicking for about twelve thousand miles anyway. i would rather spend 6 or 7k for a new civic/corolla/sentra than have a rebuild. i'm about to start law school, so i need to have a car that i can rely on for the next three years without problems. anyone here ever drive a sentra? worth a damn?

Jack

Reply to
butler.jack

transmit the

btw, is it common to only experience these symptoms when driving uphill? i just don't get why this isn't a more frequent occurence.

Jack

Reply to
butler.jack

I've got an 01 SE Automatic. I've gotten as high as 28 MPG highway and usually average 18 - 22 MPG city.

Reply to
BeaSE01

Reply to
crazyjeff

Ok ,thanks.

Well, I have two issues when braking only:

1) Wheel shimmys at 30mph+ speeds when braking at any pressure. 2) I do have that pulsating in a way where I apply steady brake pressure, and the car does not come to a smooth stop. It's a little hard to explain, but with constant pressure the car doesnt brake evenly. It brakes in a straight line, but you feel the car brake a little harder - then less - then harder - then less - when I apply constant brake pressure coming to a stop from like 35mph. It's nothing overly dramatic and perhaps not even noticable to the passenger(s), but it's definately noticable to the driver.

The struts (or the strut mounts - whatever the problem is) is more of an annoying sound than anytihng else. I had my share of annoying sounds with my '01 VW, so I just don't feel like hearing them anymore. :)

Reply to
crazyjeff

Move the tires around on the car - if the 'shimmy' is reduced or gone but the 'pulsation' is still there you have at least 2 problems - bad tire(s) and 'warped' (probably heat damaged) rotor(s).

you may have 2-3 different problems.

CARL

crazyjeff wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi,

Any one with a 4th generation Maxima had had work done to repair the torque converter clutch in their auto tranny? The SEL came on and I read the code, then cleared the code. It has come on several months ago. It was cleared then also. No drive-ability issue exist yet, but I would like to know what is involved in having this repaired eventually.

Thanks,

Reply to
veefer

Reply to
mawalsh

Ok, of all you Maxima owners out there how many own a standard and how many an auto? I am considering buying one and initially wanted the 6 spd standard but it is hard to find. Most of them seem to be auto. Should I just go with an auto? I like the standards just because they make it a bit more fun to drive.

Reply to
MD

The standards are much more fun to buy, but as you noticed fairly rare. Still, they are out there if you're determined enough.

Reply to
JimV
190k! 96 GXE, Auto.

Still running great and looks fine, getting around 23-25mpg, and no horrific repairs to date.

I love this car, but alas, I should start saving money for a new one

paducci

I don't know anyone that owns a new Sentra, but I did own a 94 Sentra (5 speed manual) prior to buying my Max last fall, and I can tell you that it was absolutely reliable. In fact, I think very few economy cars could ever come close to it for durability, reliablility and low cost of ownership. Other people that I know personally, who had the same generation of Sentra, also share my sentiments. I can only hope that Nissan has been able to maintain that standard of quality with the current line of Setras.

David

Reply to
David Blair