Toyota Tundra: First Impression

read "The Insider"

written by a retired salesman, getting 5 star reviews. no other book like it. a must before you buy any car.now you can know what salesmen know!!

Reply to
dealmaster

How does NadaGuides and ManheimAuctions have anything to do, specifically, with TOYOTA dealers, as opposed to ALL auto dealers? Friends of mine just got reamed over at Ford. Their own fault, of course, for not checking their old car's value, offering it privately and shopping for their own financing but Ford still did them, vigorously and deeply.

I notice gas prices have recently jumped by 20-30 cents, too, so ExxonMobil and the Saudis will take over doing them from here on.

Reply to
dh

Do salemen spam, too?

Reply to
Jeff

"Ray O" ...

I'm wondering why CE White posts as two different aliases.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Transmissions, brakes, drivetrain components, furniture, and mattresses:

larry moe 'n curly

"Wickeddoll®" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.evilcabal.org...

Because I post from two or three different computers. Some have a newsreader installed, some do not. For ones with newsreaders, I am cewhite. When I post from Google, I am Ed White. There is no subterfuge involved, just different computers.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Aisin is large conglomerate. The hybrid technology came out of the part of the company that was originally Aisin-Warner. This was a joint venture between Aisin-Seiki and Borg-Warner many years ago (late 60s, early 70s). Eventually this became the primary supplier of automatic transmissions to Toyota. At some point Borg-Warner was kicked out. Toyota has some ownership interest in what is now called Aisin AW Co., Ltd.. With Japanese companies it is almost impossible to figure out who owns what. Still Toyota never mentions that they buy their automatics from Aisin. I suppose since they own part of the company, they don't have to mention that. Aisin also sells automatic transmissions to Ford (6 speed for the Fusion for one) and GM.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You are right about Toyota having a long term ownership interest in Aisin-Warner (or as it is now know Aisin AW). However, I think you are wrong about Toyota developing the hybrid technology in-house. I can remember articles on Volvo working with Aisin more than 15 years ago. Probably the "Toyota" hybrid technology is a accumulation of technology from many sources. Still Aisin AW builds the main components for both Toyota and Ford, but they only acknowledge building them for Ford. They never mention that they also build hybrid components for Toyota. For that matter, you'd never know they built Toyota automatic transmissions either.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Actually, the important point is that both GM and Toyota saw a new technology. Toyota saw an oppurtunity. GM saw a risk. They both acted accordingly.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I think you mean control of hybrid technology was acquired by buying Aisin ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The hybrid technology was developed in a joint venture with Volvo (Ford,) Toyota, Aisin and another Japanese auto company. There are all cross licensed to use that technology. Toyota eventually bought the company. Non Japanese can not 'own' a Japanese company.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Some Japanese geography and cultural background:

Tokai is a city in Aichi prefecture, where Toyota is headquartered, and where the Toyoda family has tremendous influence and respect.

"Kogyo" means "industries."

Toyota made automatic looms and sewing machines before they got into the car business, and continues to make commercial sewing equipment under its own brand and as an OEM supplier.

"Keiretsu" is the circle, or family of companies in a group. Some of the big keiretsus in are Toyota, Mitsubishi, Itochu, Mitsui, etc. What sets Toyota's keiretsu apart from the other mega-keiretsus is that it is still controlled by the Toyoda family.

Aisin was established as Tokai Hikoki (Tokai Aircraft) in 1943 and produced aircraft engines. Not many companies pop up from nothing and start producing something as sophisticated as aircraft engines during war time. Capital, manufacturing expertise, and engineering expertise has to come from somewhere, and although it is not written in any web sites, I would guess that Tokai Hikoki was founded by the Tododa Keiretsu.

In September 1945 (timing happens to coincide with the end of WW II), Tokai Hikoki started making sewing machines and automotive parts. IMHO, the likelihood that a company in Toyota's back yard has the werewithall to switch from making airpane engines to making exactly what Toyota happens to need within months of a war's end without major backing from somewhere is pretty nuch nil.

Aisin's pronunciation is "eye - shin." The "Ai" part of the name come from Aichi prefecture, were Toyota is headquartered. The "shin" part of the name means new, and came from Shinkawa Kogyo ("new river industries).

If you compare the histroy of Aisin and Toyota and are familiar with the Japanese business culture, it is obvious that Toyota did not acquire Aisin - Toyota founded and bankrolled Aisin, and a gentleman whose last name happens to be Toyoda is Aisin's chairman.

The same history and backgound applies to Nippon Denso.

Yup, that is because Aisin and Nippon Denso are Toyota's in-house suppliers.

Reply to
Ray O

It is not called 'Japan Incorporated for nothing. The Japanese corporations and consumers support their own economy first, they buy from other Japanese before they will buy from others. America should be so smart.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

"C. E. White" ...

I knew you weren't pretending to be someone else, just wondered why you didn't have the same alias on both puters.

I'm "Wickeddoll" on both my work and home puters.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

American companies can own a portion of a Japanese company. GM use to own

49% of Isuzu.

What the limit of foriegn ownership is, I don't know.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The joint venture was with the others joining Aisin, before Toyota bought the company, not at Toyota.

A non Japanese can not own a Japanese company or eve have a member of the board of a Japanese company no matter how muck of a percentage of their ownership. Search the efforts of a fellow named Boon Pickens in the eighties for the particulars.

They don't tell you they build the six speed tranny that was first used in the FWD 2006 Ford 500/ Montigo, Fusion/Melon.and Zephyr. It is the exact SAME tranny that is used in the 2007 versions as well as the Camry, Lexus V6, Edge and the MKZ and MKX. Lincolns. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The directors of Mazda include John Park (Prepresentative Directory and Vice Chairman of the Board), Representative Director David Friedman (managing Executive Officer and CFO, too), and Director Daniel Morris (he is also in charge of Marketing). Those are not Japanese names. And Executive VP is also Robert Grazaino, another non-Japanese name.

Most of the directors and executive offices do have Japanese names, however.

I did take your advice to look up Boon Pickens. I found this article where they talk about foreign investors taking over Japanese companies:

I guess foreign investors can takeover Japanese companies. But the environment in Japan prevents that from happening.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I am cewhite on all the computers I regularly use that have a newsreader. When I use Google to post I am Ed White. I don't even rember why it got split like this. Anyhow, I am cewhite and ed white....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Looks like we're going to defeat Japane, economically, by exporting Wall Street Business practices to the Nikkei. That should end all their long-range plans.

Reply to
dh

"dh" "Jeff" ...

LOL you're on a roll.