Re: Stupid drivers...

same here....and the truckers *do* appreciate it...that way they KNOW they are clear of your vehicle...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

usually a few binks of the left turn signal (in the left lane) or 2-3 quick headlight flashes means someone wants past.

That's a different flash though, usually they turn their lights all the way off and back on again.

If only there were a law about not blocking the passing lane here (MD) I would be a happy man! it hurts to see six lanes of wide open highway just 3-4 cars ahead of you and no way to get to it...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I don't know exactly how it works... I always got pissed when they did it... but usually cause I was already speeding and I didn't want to move over...

So they flash the lights when they want to pass and then you are supposed to flash your lights when they are safe to get back over?

Truckers scare the hell outta me :-/

Reply to
VWGirl

I usually try to leave my foot on the brake pedal now, so I don't get rear ended by one of these morons... but I just don't see a need to sit there with my foot on the brakes when the car is find just idling in nuetral, not going anywhere :-/ or if it's a long ligt I put the parking brake on... wonder if there is a law against this :-/

Reply to
VWGirl

Sorry you took it that way.Neither I,Presidents Bush,Clinton,Saddam,Ossama or anyone else has the qualifications or right to tell anyone what they "need".I just think its amusing to see vehicals that are equiped for travel across a third world country cruising suburbia,taking several parking spots at the store sucking gas at high rates,ect.Having once "needed" a ex-racing

911 with all the impraticality involved there,I would never tell someone they can't,only that sometimes they should examine their"needs/wants".ACVWs air not the most rational devices either,but no one better tell ME I can't enjoy them.Steve
Reply to
Ilambert

Some states have a short number for the highway patrol you can dial on your cell such as *43. Anyway this gets you right to their dispatcher and you can report bad driving etc. Works well for me.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

You know what's cool about TX? I went there to visit my brother and I thought it was so cool that they pulled over as you came up on them so you could pass. Common courtesy on the roads is much better there than in Virginia Beach!

Reply to
DougnKaren

not in PA anymore. Not since at least 1980

Reply to
DougnKaren

I hadn't heard that one before but I believe it.

Reply to
DougnKaren

I do the same thing. Nothing says you have to keep your foot on the brake at a light. If they hit me its their fault. I could use a new engine lid anyway. LOL

Reply to
DougnKaren

Frankly the SUV drivers scare me worse. They've been told their overweight road hogs are the safest thing on the road. Maybe they are, on the inside. The truckers are, in theory, professional drivers whose livelyhoods ride on whether they can keep that CDL.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

cause they'd get a ticket if they didn't!!!! several states have these laws... they just are not enforced!

Reply to
VWGirl

yeah... but i'd really rather not go through an accident ordeal AGAIN!

people in FL just can't drive for crap!

Reply to
VWGirl

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:29:51 -0500, "VWGirl" scribbled this interesting note:

I've seen you state this several times. Now I'm not saying that deserving drivers (the ones you specifically mention) never get ticketed in Texas, but I've never heard of a single case of someone in Texas getting pulled over specifically because s/he was driving in the left hand lane.

Personally, given the fact that Texas gets back from the Federal Government far less money than it contributes toward highway taxes (money that is supposed to be spent specifically on highways), and the fact that Texas has more paved road surface then any other state in the Union, I sometimes drive in the left hand lane because the other choice is often hazardous due to pot holes, very rough surfaces, and a lack of general maintenance. Those large truck wreak havoc on the right hand lanes you know.

Now remember, I'm not saying that no one ever gets pulled over for driving in the left hand lane here in Texas. I'm certain, all things being equal, that some have. I've just never experienced it nor has anyone I know nor anyone they know, etc., etc., etc.

John Willis

But John there are lots of odd and even useless laws on the books in many states...they have actually been the "butt' of many jokes...those laws are there for fun or for "just cause"....like a liscense plate light being out....very few ever get pulled for it, but it can happen if the cop wants to stop you....another idiotic rule in virginia is that you can not blow your horn in public unless it is an "emergency"....they call it "illegal use of a warning device".....but i only know of *one* person that ever got pulled for it(and this actually is how i found out about the stupid law) and it was litterally thrown out of court...the judge did not find humor in the police officer "wasting his time"....(so he told him..)....it is illegal in virginia for a man and a woman to have sex in any position other than "missionary"...but i don't know of anyone that has had the cops knock down their bedroom door to enforce that....LOL

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

VWGirl

"When Passing. Whenever you are about to pass a vehicle, pedestrian, or bicyclist, assume they don't see you. They could suddenly move in front of you. When it is legal, tap the horn lightly or, at night flash your lights from low to high beam and back. And driver carefully enough to avoid a crash even if they don't see or hear you. "

Don't argue it with me... argue it with Florida Dept. of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles

Reply to
VWGirl

"VWGirl" wrote

94

I think the officer that gave the ticket was wrong in that case. If you read the thread you'll see that others do too.

That link states that "you may pass on the right".

That link proves that Kidd was correct. Or is that what you meant?

Only for *illegal* passing on the right.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

Out here, if I'm behind a truck, they will give me ONE flash of their right rurn signal, to tell me it's safe for me to pass them. I pass them, return to my lane with the turn signal, then give ONE flash back at them to the LEFT, then one to the right, to say "thanks" and continue my way. Usually I get one very short "blip" of their high beams back, intended as a compliment.

Works both ways. I love it. No law against it that I know of, each and every trucker knows this and uses it. Not many passenger car drivers do or bother.

Jan

VWGirl wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

> 94

did you read the link they provided ?

all on how they want to interpret the laws like i said... this is a somewhat strict law in TX... which you can see by reading the other posts... I do believe someone said they even have posted signs about this (not in the thread, but when I first came across this arguement)

I dunno... I still think you have to pass on the left:

Overtaking and passing a vehicle (Section 316.083, F.S.)

The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle.

When overtaking on the right is permitted (Section 316.084)

Upon a street or highway with unobstructed pavement, not occupied by parked vehicles, of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving traffic in each direction.

I don't think these laws apply JUST to bicycles (where I found the statutes) they apply to motor vehicles as well.. Why would they have a law about passing to the left if you can always pass to the right given enough roadway space? This isn't the same info that i found over the summer... but I cannot access the info I found before (so far as I can tell the posts on the acct where this discussion was heald only go back 100 threads, which takes you to the beginning of november)

point was that they have it in there... that's like saying that they only have prices for speeding tickts for **illegal speeding**... I think it starts at 10mph over...

I think the point of all this was that there are stupid laws on the books as well as stupid drivers... for instance the one that I think got removed from the books in GA last year that it was fornication was illegal... you could be arrested and go to jail for this... The laws are all open to interpretation... depending on which section you read things can seem legal that aren't and vice versa. Problem being that whether or not these are stupid OR enforced, you are responsible to know the laws as ignorance is not an excuse.

Reply to
VWGirl