Pink Kate

What's reality and how do I check?

Reply to
billy ray

Grumman-581 proclaimed:

Considering that a grizzly can outrun a horse for short sprints, getting the bear to rear, preferably at some distance, is indeed safer than trying to shoot it as it is coming towards you. They have a rather thick skull if you don't have a bullet with good kinetics.

Reply to
Lon

Grumman-581 proclaimed:

Aren't there any prairie grizzlies left down in western texas?

Reply to
Lon

Just stay out of the huckleberry patches if there is a hot spell after an early freeze. Up along the north fork behind Columbia Falls, the grizzlies would come down and get themselves pretty snockered on the fermented berries. After that, they were about as sociable as your average shitkicking bar drunk. When not annoyed, you can actually get pretty close to one. Problem is that apparently unlike your typical black bear, the grizzly may be thinking of inviting you for dinner, plus they tend to be a bit more territorial.

Earle Horton proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Biggest thing in my mind, is having the right ammo in the gun, some self defense bullets wont stop animals for nothing. Its about hitting them where you aim and what you hit them with.

Kate, ya never did say where YOU shoot at?? =)

Steve

Reply to
Steve G

About 10 years ago I was hiking part of the Appalachian Trail in PA. Now every once in a while I'd hear noises that seemed like they were in the woods that turned out to be some of my gear rattling. But then a noise happened again and this time it didn't stop when I did. I looked around and saw a brown bear cruising thought the woods at a pretty good clip more or less toward me. We saw each other about the same time and he did a really nice curve and headed off into the woods.

As you can imagine that really got my attention, and it was one of the many cool things that happened during that hike.

Jeff DeWitt

Earle Hort> I read in one of the early pioneer type accounts, that the best thing was to

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Clay proclaimed:

Yes you do. The skin of even a moose is trivially penetrated by a .22, so is that of a wood chuck which is even tougher than that of a moose although not nearly as thick.

No you don't. You want a round that will penetrate bone if necessary and then expand. Ideally tearing out lungs, heart, or brain completely. The round needs to penetrate and then deposit all of its energy in the target. Ideally the round should stop completely just over midway in the target...some will argue that a round which fragments heavily is even more effective--but that is almost a religious argument amongst hunters of really big game. Any energy that passes out the far side is wasted powder.

Get the bears attention while it is charging. Stay pretty still until it gets close and then duck sideways if possible. Then get its attention by making as much noise as you can possibly make and hope you can get it to rear up, at which point you can usually get the heart and lungs. A gut shot works, but by then you may be badly injured. Best tactic is to keep an eye out for trees at least a 18 inches or so in diameter and climb fast--taking your weapon with you. Adult grizzlies cannot climb.

I've killed grizzly with a .357 magnum. I grew up with folks who killed them with a .22LR. Very difficult to avoid them if you spend much time in the woods up around Kalispell.

Reply to
Lon

they penetrate better than a hollowpoint, and expand better than FMJ. only thing better i think is the truncated cone TCMJ from PMC.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote in message=0D=0A...= =0D=0A=0D=0A> when you give guys head are you ment to get pubes in your= teeth?

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Maybe they should change the state mascot to the Silicone Implant..

There is no shortage of them..

Reply to
billy ray

the .45 acp was my favorite until last december. while the 1911 is still my favorite handgun to shoot, the .357 auto (.357 "sig") is my new favorite caliber for personal defense. penetration is amazing, with equally impressive expansion with the proper ammunition (corbon 125gr is my current pick).

over the years ive carried different weapons but the 1911 has always been my favorite (BHP close second), with my most recent being a springfield TRP. on a whim i purchased a glock 31 "just to have" and it has since won me over completely for my daily carry weapon. the grip angle sucks, but its tolerable. the reason i carry it is strictly for the reliability. see them both at

btw, see the
forum.

lol

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote in message=0D=0A...= =0D=0A=0D=0A> I get burning sensations during intercourse.

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

In 1988/89 I carried the Springfield enforcer 1911 .45ACP While on duty.

Departmental issued weapon, and our issued ammo was two Glaser "Safety Slugs" on top of Silver tips.

Two safety slugs for the beaten-into-our-heads double tap.

I have seen first hand what these rounds can do, as well as the first gen. Black Talon.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

One other thing, I've seen some pretty good sized bear taken with compound, long, and crossbow.

From West Virginia to Alaska, different bears.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

ballistically it is equal to a .357 magnum up to 125 grains, and i have 16 rounds of it in a reliable automatic. you might call that puny, but i call it "properly armed". ;-)

(quoted text from a web forum post i made) of the .357 auto

wikipedia says: "Its drawbacks are its harsh treatment of pistols that are chambered for the cartridge, which have the potential for accelerated wear if not of strong build, and its potential to overpenetrate." all that = one hot round. the montana highway patrol adopted the .357 auto because it was the only round tested (they tested .40, .357 auto, .45 acp, 9mm +P) that could constantly and without a single failure penetrate car doors and still deposit massive energy in the bad guy sitting on the other side of it. wikipedia also says: "The 357 SIG, like the .357 Magnum, is well suited for the use of bullets that can defeat body armor".

the entire secret service now carries the .357 auto. why? it was the only automatic round tested that could consitantly defeat body armor (with the proper bullets) and other barriers to be able to effectively protect the president of the united states.

the north carolina highway patrol adopted the .357 auto for the same reason as the montana highway patrol.....the .357 auto is specifically known for its awesome penetration qualities. car doors, windshields, trunks, etc. it doesnt matter. the .357 auto has been known to shoot through both sides of a vehicle (obviously we arent talking about structural framework) and still carry enough energy to be lethal to the bad guy seeking cover behind it.

i could continue to list law enforcement agencies who have adopted the .357 auto specifically for its penetrative qualities but it would be redundant as it all reaches the same conclusion.....the .357 auto is an awesome penetrator, and its speed gives it amazing expansion. in one article i read, every automatic caliber made was tested (iirc by the fbi) and only two rounds penetrated the ballistic gellatin 100% and even cracked the back of the gelatin case. those rounds were the 10mm and the .357 auto. wikipedia also says: "This round (.357 auto) is excellent when shooting through barricades may prove necessary. There has been a documented case where a police officer's .45 round did not penetrate a tractor's shell but a 357 SIG round from a backup officer's gun did (killing the suspect inside). The forementioned ability of this round to penetrate through barriers is the main reason behind its rapid and growing adoption by federal, state and local law enforcement."

the .45 acp is a great penetrator and its amongst the most effective defensive rounds available......but it will not penetrate like the .357 auto.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Solve the problem entirely-use a .375 magnum! If it'll stop an elephant or a charging rhino, it'll stop anything in North America! Of course, expect to pay a premium, as it's available in safari grade only...;>

Dan

Reply to
Hootowl

Treed? I would die fom heart failure.

No, I take that back. I would die, because I couldnt get my fat ass up IN a tree to save my life!

It must have scared you pretty good, yes?

Kate

Reply to
Kate