Pink Kate

Mid 80's on the Canadian Border. Shades drawn on the sunny side of the U.S. Customs House. Phone call from Canadian Customs office 50 yards to the North. "Raise your shades". I did and jumped back about five feet. A moose, probably a two year old admiring his reflection in the window. I was surprised, but he seemed offended. Shook his head, turned and headed back into the woods. I could hear the Canadians laughing without the phone.

Cheechako (Native Alaskan for ?alien? or ?foreigner?)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

I carry old style Black Talons in my .9mm and Hydroshock in my .357 and .38

Kate

Dang! A man for all seasons! My favorite, is my camera.

Time to get a new one though I have literally worn this one out. Kate

Reply to
Kate

Thanks! I will try to remember that. WhenI was young, I was taught that a wad cutter was a cast bullet, tapered nose, wide shoulder. What you are describing was what my people have always called a semi-wad cutter.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Kate,

The wadcutter is nearly completely flat on the nose with no taper. So named for it's intended purpose of punching holes through paper targets. It's basically a lead cylinder pressed into a casing. It was made for shooting in revolvers. It won't load easily in pistols, only in modified pistols.

The semi-wadcutter has a smaller flat tip, but is tapered down and out to the diameter of the bore, made that way to load easier in revolvers and pistols.

Both rounds are intended for target shooting, and to be fire at under

800fps, and even at 400fps.

The semi-wadcutter is the one that has been jacketed and modified into an array of other projectiles, including the hollow-point, among others.

The semi-wadcutter is the most commonly seen, and commonly referred to as just wadcutter, (just like people say "tranny" when they mean transmission" or use the word pistol for all handguns, when in fact there are more than just one type of handgun.

Send out my apologies to Mr. Kate, here on out I shall call him "Big Iron".

I just can't type "D%$K.

Later, Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Probably not since the 1800s, I would imagine. _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

L> Aren't there any prairie grizzlies left down in western texas?

Reply to
twaldron

a semi jacketed hollowpoint is what i carry for defense against people. since most handguns dont carry enough energy to adequately penetrate large game, the soft point is the better choice. it will penetrate better than the hollowpoint, while expanding better than full metal jacket. sorta like a compromise.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

exactly why i recommend the soft point. in a +P or magnum load it will penetrate while offering moderate expansion. its just making the most of what you have.

agreed, which is why you make the most of what you have. also note that we're referencing grizzly bear. up here in montana the .357 magnum revolver is a VERY common choice for hunting black bear. i didnt believe it the first time i heard it.

they have to train for multiple shots because the geneva convention dictates ball ammo which offers NO expansion therefore very little energy desposit.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

You are exactly right about the Geneva convention,

......but I never was issued, nor did I carry, ball ammo.

I had a pretty good selection of ammo to choose from.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

lol......ouch.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

LOL!

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

in training or actual combat?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

I had ball ammo during basic and AIT, but not at all after. I'm only speaking for myself and the two units I was attached to. I cannot speak for the Army as a whole, I don't know what TRADOC says about that.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

what im getting at is did you ever carry into combat? the geneva convention would only apply to what you carry into combat against an enemy.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Send me a mail @

snipped-for-privacy@nospamtriad.rr.com

Remove the nospam.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Makes for an interesting experience when it comes down inside your glasses also...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote in message=0D=0A...= =0D=0A=0D=0A> If I get to work late, I make up for it by leaving early.

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III