Pink Kate

: Not that unusual a tale. Seems deer take offense at being shot as well, : and can rip a hunter to ribbons rather quickly. Not that afraid of even : a grizzly, but I really would prefer to stay away from a senior bull : moose in the fall--not even the grizzlies are stupid enough to tackle : those mellow marsh munchers.

Picture this:

It's November 1975, a 17 year old girl moves from a small town in northern California to Ninilchik Alaska to be with a father she has never known and his family. The family of four lives in a very small 4 room cabin on Deep Creek in Ninilchik Alaska.

The girl, though a country girl, knows zip about the wilderness and Alaska in particular.

After a long flight on a commercial airline (her first plane trip) and a bumpy ride in a much smaller plane across the inlet and then a long drive down the Kenai peninsula they arrive at the small cabin nestled up in the trees and covered in snow. By the time they get there it's dark and they have dinner visit a while and then hit the sack.

The next morning the girl wakes up bright and early and the first thing she does is open the curtains to look out at the view. On the other side of the glass is a mother moose and a baby moose staring at her. They stand there momentarily face to face with only a thin piece of glass between them. They are so close that the moose's breath makes fog on the window pane.

Then the girl begins to scream.

Evidently they were looking at their reflection in the window and this startles the moose. They jump back and snort big clouds of steam from their nostrils and you can see them wondering what this strange squealing creature is. A decision is made to keep their distance after all.

The girl continues to scream and jumps back and runs, still screaming, into the kitchen.

This is where her step mother begins to yell at her "What the hell's the matter with you!!!???" The step mother grabs her by the shoulders and shakes her and says "What's the matter with you stupid child!!??"" (I swear to god, it's true)

The girl is dubbed Cheechako and all enjoy a hearty laugh at her expense.

They still tell that story at family gatherings.

Kate

:
Reply to
Kate

or make the state symbol a glass of Whine

: > Lon wrote: : > >

: > > Aren't there any prairie grizzlies left down in western texas? : :

Reply to
Kate

"Nathan W. Collier" wrote : soft point gives you penetration and expansion. :

Hmm... I always thought semi jacketed hollow point was the ticket. Not being a hunter, I only know what I have seen.

Reply to
Kate

I din't wrote that, Nate wrote that. Kate

:
Reply to
Kate

"Nathan W. Collier" wrote

I don't know of any hand gun round that fits that description - certainly not the "man stoppers" (.38/9mm/40S&W/10mm/45ACP). Bullets designed to mushroom and transfer maximum energy in a human will come apart before getting through a bear's coat, hide and muscle - making a nasty wound that makes him madder.

Trouble with this theory is that no handgun can deposit enough energy to stop a bear anyway, no matter what bullet you choose. They cannot even stop adrenaline loaded humans reliably. That's why spl forces train to tripple-tap, two to center of mass to disrupt your opponant's aim then a head shot. Your only hope on a bear is to disable his nervous system (brain shot) or to punch holes in his heart and major arteries so he bleeds out quickly.

Reply to
Vito

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" wrote

Jeeze, never had that happen. Ream the cylinders?

Reply to
Vito

That's pretty funny!

Seahag

"Kate" wrote:

Reply to
Seahag

You won't "see" it happen, but if you're standing next to someone whose revolver is spitting out shavings you will surely feel it. Semi-autos have a slightly different problem. I always tried to be far left on the firing line to avoid being pelted by ejected brass. If hot brass finds it's way under your collar it will affect your aim.:-)

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

"Nathan W. Collier" wrote

I liked the 1911 until I had a terrible accident with one I carried in an inside-the-waistband holster. I was zipping up my pants as I backed away from a urinal. The butt caught on the privacy shield, the sight jabbed me in the cheek, my hips instinctively thrust forward, and I zipped my willy in my fly. That hurt bad enough. Then came the unzip .....

Reply to
Vito

It is my life.... I am a constant source of entertainment for those brave enough to endure me.

Reply to
Kate

"Nathan W. Collier" wrote : soft point gives you penetration and expansion. :

After having my coffee, and reading this statement again...

I beg to differ. You will not bet better penetration with anything soft. heh Kate

Reply to
Kate

: > the .45 acp was my favorite until last december. .... : : I liked the 1911 until I had a terrible accident with one I carried in an : inside-the-waistband holster. I was zipping up my pants as I backed away from a : urinal. The butt caught on the privacy shield, the sight jabbed me in the : cheek, my hips instinctively thrust forward, and I zipped my willy in my fly. : That hurt bad enough. Then came the unzip ..... : OH MY GOD!!! FOFLMFAO!!

ehm... let me compose myself here...

poor thing!

*snikker*

Kate

Reply to
Kate
*strutting my ignorance here* I always thought that a wad cutter had a shoulder, onit to enable the nice clean cut that you wanted for scoring on a target.

Learn something new ever day.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Years ago, I ruined one of South Coast Gun Club's sand bags while benching my Redhawk. The shavings cut open the canvas.

Reply to
Clay

You a bow hunter too???

Reply to
Kate

Yes I did, you missed it. Or I misplaced it.

We shoot at a gun club in Jackson. IDPA, pretty boring stuf though compared to the group we used to shoot with. The group out west usually had four or five scenarios, all with lots of action and cover, moving targets and great stuff to do.. plywood cars to hide behind, lots of hard to get at no-shoots. I have killed SO many hostages (DNS) and blew the hell pout of a panhandler once. Everyone got quite a kick out of it. Then we would have lunch and swap lies and tips. It was a great group.

This group is kind of a yawn. Nice guys all of them but boring as hell. That's one of the reasons I have not been shooting much, that and the foot.

We shoot a little here at our place too, have a nice spot down by the pond that is into a high bank so it's good and safe. I need to get down there and shoot some.

Soon... soon... going to the doc today.

[...]

Do you have the right ammunition for that? Just guessing, but you might need a softer or harder bullet, that compresses rather than shaves off a sliver.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Yes. All types of bow, rifle, pistol, revolver, fishing pole, net, trap, and camera hunting.

My eyes are in the front of my head, like any other predator.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

A true wadcutter is a perfect cylindrical bullet, not like the tapered ones with the shoulder, that is a hybrid of the wadcutter, and usually the semi-jacketed ones cover up to the shoulder with copper, or whatever the jacket is made from.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader