ping beamends Richard

on the offchance... don't suppose you have series III windscreen glass?

some pillock has landed what looks like weld spatter on mine. I'll have a go at getting it off/smooth sometime, but in the event that this ain't successful...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No problem - stock item! There's is a slight downside though - all the new ones are laminated instead if toughened, hence about 1-1.5mm thinner.

337644 Series Windscreen Glass - Laminated £11.87 inc VAT

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

You could go and get a toughened one made at a glass shop. I got windows for my 101 made in toughened as it was cheaper than laminated.

I doubt the price would be much different to Beamends (Richard - why not get some toughened ones made up and sell them instead?)

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sat, 22 Oct 2005 08:00:09 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

f*ck me. It's not worth pissing around with it... what sort of job are they to swap? millions of little screws like the other windows?

Laminated is better in some ways. I like the way it doesn't make a mountain of glass chippings if it gets broke.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I had thought of that - but they are not exactly the top of the sales list. Plus I'm uncertain about the insurance and legeslative position regarding selling new toughend windscreens - any one know for sure?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

As you say, millions of little screws, plus either sealant or sealing strip. Last time I did one I used double sealing strip to get the screw holes to (almost!) line up. And some mastic......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

During stardate Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:48:14 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd uttered the imortal words:

H'mmm this would have to be declared as a modification for the insurance...they are after all supposed to leak ;0)

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:48:14 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

in fact, it's hardly worth the effort of cleaning 'em at that price...

I take it you have suchlike (the sealing strip, anyway) as well?

I was contemplating the inept wipers - the springs in the arms have gone weak, I reckon - not enough pressure on the screen. That and the bushes on the spindles are naff - screws either buggered or sheared off. So a new screen (at least for the driver's side - passengers don't have to see where they're going) would improve matters.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I did mine a few years ago (twice actually after i cracked the screen after fitting attempt 1!)

The screens are held in by the little metal strips on the inside, which each have a few screws in. I sealed mine using dum-dum. That stuff is great as it doesnt need time to dry/cure like other sealants. Mine still doesnt leak.

The first time i fitted the screen i tried using silicon. This was a bad idea. It didnt have time to dry before it got wet and therefore never set properly. I then tried to dry it a bit using a hot air gun and got the screen a little too hot!

Reply to
Tom Woods

so Tom Woods was, like...

I'll second the use of dum-dum. Bit of a bugger to use, but I put the side windows in the 90 with it and had no leaks whatever.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sat, 22 Oct 2005 19:18:52 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

where d'yer get the stuff? That is, I believe, what they're meant top be sealed with.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

so Austin Shackles was, like...

I think it was a motor factors (Fenton's, in Haverfordwest?). Not B&Q, anyway.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Local car parts shop here sells it, and all the landrover parts places i've ever been too have. Frosts do too. If Richard doesnt sell it then he should!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yep - sealing strip comes in 1.5m lengths rolled up in a nice little bag, wiper arms and spindle adaptors all in stock.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I expect I can find some (good idea to have in in stock thinking about it).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd