OT: "leave more time for the bike" advertisements

Not really:

"stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left"

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Johannes saying something like:

He saw you, he judged the speed and distance and timed it just right. In fact, there would have been a greater space available to him than you thought there was - gaps are like that.

No need for you to get all floral about it; most bike riders are perfectly capable of assessing the risk.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

And what if I hadn't noticed him (coming at speed from an unexpected direction and in a different lane), had speeded up to get past the lorry?

Reply to
Johannes

Johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@stop-spam-sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The gap would have remained the same size he was expecting it to be.

Unless, of course, you're in the habit of manouvring without looking, are you?

Reply to
Adrian

Johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@stop-spam-sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So use the lanes properly, then, instead of sitting like a brain dead pillock - then cars won't be able to.

Unless, of course, it's the perfectly legitimate filtering of bikes that you object to - in which case, get a bike and join 'em instead of sitting in traffic.

Reply to
Adrian

That didn't answer my question.

Reply to
Johannes

I do use the lanes properly.

Reply to
Johannes

Johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@stop-spam-sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The first statement does.

But your reading skills seem to be on a par with your driving skills.

Reply to
Adrian

Johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@stop-spam-sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So cars can't pass you on the inside. It's not a problem.

And since we've already pointed out that bikes filtering are both legal and officially sanctioned, they can't be the problem.

Reply to
Adrian

I beg to differ. It's not always appropriate to pull in if you anticipate passing a lorry a short distance up the road. vehicles can pass on the inside anyway if they 1) drive 90mph+ and 2) are less critical with keeping distances to other vehicles. However, I keep my cool and let them do whatever they want; even help them out if they should get into a tricky situation.

Reply to
Johannes

Johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@stop-spam-sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If they're catching you rapidly and have the space to move left a lane and back out right again before the wagon - which they are approaching with a closing speed of at least 35mph, don't forget - then you have got *PLENTY* of time to change left if somebody is approaching behind you rapidly.

How come they can change lane twice in a distance you don't think you can, when they're moving SOOOO much faster than you?

You *DID* see them approaching in the mirror, didn't you? No, you didn't, did you? Be honest, now.

A tricky situation that has come about, at least in part, by your incompetence and arrogance. Or lack of observation. Either way, stop playing the innocent.

Reply to
Adrian

Why closing speed of 35mph? then they must do at least 105mph! Sure I could also weave in and out and across lanes at high speed and narrow distances, but that's not how I chose to drive.

Reply to
Johannes

Indeed. That's why they have the highest KSI per km travelled of any road user type.

Reply to
Conor

I can't see how.

You should time how long it actually takes you to reach that lorry that's 1/2 mile ahead. CErtainly long enough for you to move to L1.

Reply to
Conor

Yes, and then I would be stuck behind the lorry for miles and miles, until someone allows me to pull out again.

Reply to
Johannes

Why? Are you a s**te driver or something?

Reply to
Conor

Johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@stop-spam-sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

56 + 35 = 91.

They're closing on a wagon, remember?

No, you choose to block the traffic flow for everybody else (not that you know they're there, because you don't use your mirror) because there's a wagon that you're slowly catching on a mile away.

"High speed", "narrow distances"... Not everybody's as incompetent as you reveal yourself, y'know.

Reply to
Adrian

Johannes ( snipped-for-privacy@stop-spam-sizefitter.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

So why are you so much more important than those stuck behind you for miles and miles?

Reply to
Adrian

They are all in the same situation. For a start, I keep up with cars in front of me. Everybody are keeping close to the motorway limit (plus or minus a few miles), so how is this holding up traffic?

Reply to
Johannes

Now all we have to do is to define queue;-) If the inside lane is clear for

0.5 miles or more and some pillock is sittingin the centre lane and there's faster traffic in the outside lane, then I'll just gently pass them on the inside. Surprisingly even that doesn't seem to make the point to them very often.
Reply to
Malc