OT: "leave more time for the bike" advertisements

..and "moving slowly"!

I'm always amazed how oblivious some of the mid lane hoggers are. Mind you, the girl in the Vectra I saw on the M25 recently had a 'phone on her shoulder, a pen in one hand and a note pad in the other so she was clearly far too busy to worry about lane discipline :-)

Trouble is, if the pillock moves over on you it's your insurance that will have to pay at best. Tempting though it is, sensible drivers stick to overtaking on the right.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The message from Chris Whelan contains these words:

I saw some oblivious twerp go straight into a 10' length of 2x4 on the M54 this morning. I was behind her and I saw it - as did the cars in front of her. There was plenty of time and space for her to move round it - but she just ploughed straight over it.

And you can all guess what she did then. That's it - stop. Still in Lane

  1. What happened after that, I don't know - but I rang the dibbles anyway 'cos she 2x4 was till there.
Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'd put money on her getting out of the car and wandering about on the edge of L2...

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Quite possibly.

Reply to
Guy King

Yeah...all fully paid up members of the MLOC.

By reducing the capacity of the motorway by 1/3.

Reply to
Conor

What's KSI?

And there aren't any kilometres in this country.

Reply to
Art Deco

Art Deco (art_deco@127.0.0.1) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's the official designation for anybody that's got anything more than an ickle bruise for mummy to kiss better.

There's just over one and a half of 'em in every single mile in this country.

Reply to
Adrian

Most motorcycle accidents seem to be either in the "intensive care" category or a morgue job.

No, there aren't. They simply don't exist over here. I've never seen one. Have you?

Reply to
Art Deco

There's definitely 1.609344 of them in every mile.

That's a category error. I've never seen a volt either, feel free to play on the electricity pylons.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

They're not even legal here. If you find one, make sure it gets deported to the mainland.

I've seen volts during thunderstorms. Thousands of them.

Reply to
Art Deco

Art Deco (art_deco@127.0.0.1) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

How *is* the weather on your planet at this time of year?

So what is the odometer in several of my vehicles telling me?

I can't say I've ever "seen" a mile, either.

Reply to
Adrian

Indeed - KSI = Killed / Serious Injury.

Yep. All our fibreoptic runs have them, we've got about six. The fact that our road signage is still using backward imperial measurements (which need to go the way of the Empire, frankly - into history) doesn't mean they're The One True Faith....

Reply to
James Dore

James Dore ( snipped-for-privacy@new.ox.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The official definition of which differs wildly from any sensible definition of Serious Injury... Anything that requires one night in hospital as an in-patient, plus any fractures or "severe" cuts or lacerations - even if they're not treated in hospital as an in-patient.

Yes, that's right. Break a finger, and you're a road KSI, just the same as if you'd been left a vegetable.

Reply to
Adrian

Killed or Seriosuly Injured.

There are but we multiplied them by 5/8 to confuse Johnny Foreigner.

Reply to
Conor

Yup.

Reply to
Conor

That would be 8/5 (approximately) :-)

I agree that miles makes nice speed limit jumps: 30,40,50,60 whereas this rounding doesn't come out that well in Km.

Reply to
Johannes

It's fine. What about the weather on yours?

Your odometers talk to you? This should be interesting.

Of course you have, or do you drive with your eyes shut?

Reply to
Art Deco

Art Deco (art_deco@127.0.0.1) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

They tell me the distance the vehicle's travelled... in KM.

I've seen plenty of long bits of tarmac. You could quite easily use an arbitrary measure to divide them into segments and call them a mile - just the same as you could use a different arbitrary measure and call them a kilometre. Or a furlong. Or a chain.

Reply to
Adrian

Ah, so that's what it stands for!

What do they look like? Just curious.

Temperatures in Fahrenheit are much more meaningful than temperatures in Centigrade. Even the newspapers revert to Fahrenheit when it gets really hot: 95 degrees makes much better headlines than 38 degrees, "Phew, what a scorcher". And the ranges are more meaningful too: temperatures in the 70s (Fahrenheit) means far more than temperatures in the 20s (Centigrade) which covers a wider range.

The fact is that the so-called "imperial" measurements are based on meaningful historical measures rather than artificial, bureaucratically derived, quantities.

The USA uses them. They're not going into history.

End of rant.

Reply to
Art Deco

Perhaps you can tell me what one looks like, then.

Reply to
Art Deco