Where are you and your Miata?

Just east of Indianapolis, and very glad to have bought a set of Dunlop WinterSports tires for the season.

Reply to
Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, BA,

OK, we have a new "Most Interesting Name" now. Tell me please, it wasn't your parents who gave you that, correct?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Why in the world would you suspect that "Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, BA, MA, BLT, PhD, MYOB, STFU" was a pseudonym?

Reply to
XS11E

I certainly wouldn't. Too bad he left school without earning the most important degrees, though: BYOB, WFO, and FTW.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

'91, Spokane, Wash., classic red with black top, garaged for the winter. It would be great buzzing around in the ice and snow -- and I think it would handle well -- but fear Detroit iron would make short work of it at icy intersections. Still getting @ 30 mpg and great torque on clear streets despite high miles. Not many MX5s here so it still turns appreciative heads. Art

Reply to
Art McGinn

Thanks Art, you're #70 to respond and #2 from WA. Be careful over there. By the way it was incredible 'top down' weather here in the Houston area for this Christmas day!

Merry Christmas, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

chris: we have a daughter in austin and will check out your texas weather in early february. alas, the miata must remain under roof here, restless as a willow in a windstorm, awaiting spring and the darling buds of may. art

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

Reply to
Art McGinn

That's funny, I am in Austin with a daughter living in Washington.

We are supposed to hit a high of 71 degrees on Saturday with clear skies. Lots of days like that in February.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Now that's just plain cruel, Pat. Particularly since our high today is supposed to get all the way up to 27F.

Although LVMOC did manage to get in the 4th Annual Polar Bear Run on Tuesday, when the temp was a balmy 42F.

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

If it makes you feel any better, I am miata-less until at least Tuesday, unless I hitchhike east and steal, er, I mean borrow Chris D.'s 1999BBB. ;-)

Don't worry, you can laugh at me this summer as I use an A/C or bake to death, assuming that I am still here.

The last two summers have been pretty mild by Texas standards, especially last year. I have a feeling that we are in for a whopper heat wave soon. The memory of it being over 100 degrees during the day for more than a month straight, never getting below 80 at night, are still very vivid.

Hope you had fun on the run!

Pat

Reply to
pws

our daughter was practically out the door in her move back to san francisco, where she grew up (we lived there for 32 years), but was seized profoundly by second thoughts: "austin is great! i don't want to leave!" and she didn't. that was two years ago. i'll be making my first visit and look forward to it. cheers, y'all. art

pws wrote:

Reply to
Art McGinn

She must have seen me working out right before she was going to move, or perhaps doing car work with my shirt off. I have that effect on many women. ;-)

Austin is still pretty cool, despite my recent rants. Just don't look for any mountains or a tree above 10 feet in height. (OK, that is an exaggeration, on the tree part, but they don't get very high here).

You should visit "Mt. Bonnell", a hill that is higher than the other hills around it, which overlooks the lake.

It is a pretty area, and the hill country is nice to drive through, just not so spectacular-looking as a lot of places I have been, but then, I like mountains a lot. :-)

Hope you enjoy your visit with your daughter!

Pat

Reply to
pws

Pat, I didn't start this crazy thread so you could find MY miata, it was so I could locate YOURS if need be! What's up with your hotrod?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Braggart. I think it got all the way up to 42F today. We were about an hour north of here last night for a Trans-Siberian Orchestra show and there was freezing rain coming down when we left the concert. When we got home, there was about 1/8" of ice on our front walk. Nowhere else, just on the brick walk.

So, of course, I slipped and fell on it. ;-(

Nothing really injured except my pride, fortunately - just a couple of good bruises. And the Garmin never touched the ground. That's why I've got bruises!

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

I already have your address. Foolish man, as if I can be trusted.....

The engine control computer is not receiving a signal from the magnetic sensor that is mounted next to the timing wheel on the crankshaft.

Best case - faulty magnetic timing sensor ($90.10 including shipping + maybe an hour of my time) Worst Case - Chewed Up Crankshaft (Don't know the cost, a whole lot is a good guess)

Another possibility is the computer itself going out, but it appears OK, still interacts with a laptop, and runs diagnostics. This is good because the Tec3 is over $1800.00 to replace.

If UPS is on time and this weather holds up, I will know on Tuesday, at least if it is the sensor or not. Hopefully it will fire right up again, I will let you know.

Hey Iva, low of 62 and high of 80 tomorrow. I was just outside working on the car wearing shorts, sandals and a light t-shirt. It was a bit chilly. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

That's good, glad to hear it!

I dropped my motorcycle in the driveway once and got under it as it fell. When asked why I explained, "I'll heal, the bike costs money to fix!"

Reply to
XS11E

Ha!. That happened a couple of times with my mountain bike that was over $500.00 back in 1983.

I always explained that skin grew back. If the bike was trashed, I was unable to travel distances that were further than I normally drive my Miata on a given day anymore.

I may be the last generation that used reverse-crank braking as a standard, must be getting old....

Pat

Reply to
pws

That's exactly how I felt about the Garmin - particularly since I've only had it a couple of weeks!

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

Glad that you, (and the Garmin!), are going to be OK.

I have never lived in a cold environment, so I don't know which way the trade-off would end up working better. I don't do well with snow and ice, but I can handle high temperatures pretty well.

On the other hand, I still want to check out the Pacific Northwest area to live in, near Seattle where it gets plenty cold.

Make lots of money and buy two homes, that's the ticket! :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Fremont, CA

1990 White "B" Original everything 195K miles - goal is 200K on original clutch!!

Ken

Reply to
KWS