(ot) FAO ADSL users.

"Three", as things stand, just like most other mobile networks did in their formative years.

It's called 'looking to the long term', and it's how most business get established.

HTH

Reply to
JackH

i'd like to think that PlusNet is "established" allready.

we dont loose money. Not good business practise for an ISP.

The likes of AOL and wanadoo are free to do it...but they have massive corporate backing and are not in our direct competitor group.

Reply to
Mason

Take that back or I'll consider a class action against you AND the company whom you are representing in this newsgroup - you up for it Mr Firth.

My goodness it's small company mentality - you will always be a small player if you cannot take the rough with the smooth and if you put short term profits before customer relations. If 600 gig a month costs you 700 quid, and you have 80,000 users using an average of say 4 gig/month, and 250 using

600 gig a month then your backhaul is costing you 550k / mth. You're not unbundled are you so your 80,000 users at about 12 quid/mth lease from BT is costing you about a million /mth. They are bringing you in after vat about 1.5 million/mth. You also have premises, staff, other stuff to go out, revenue from dialup, other stuff. There are other backhaul providers you could be using have you tried talking to them. No one said being an ISP was a great business to be in, but raking bad publicity by discriminating against users who use your service to the full, then WHINING about it in newsgroups that your users definitely read is NOT good business. I suggested in a previous posting what a correct way of handling this would have been.

Any jobs going in your place, yours perhaps, soon? I could do with a new challenge, and a company merc, and a ferrari in the garage.

Plusnet won't miss the 250 or so users who suck bandwidth, they will save you 150-200k / mth and maybe put you back in the black, or pull you away from the risk of takeover or whatever were your fears internally. Plusnet will miss the future business that you will lose for all the bad publicity this is getting you.

Successful business all over the place lose money at some time or another, it's how you address that and return to operating profit that matters. With a revenue of 17 million p/a on the estimated figures we're spouting here (give us some accurate ones if you like) losing a few hundred thousand while the problem is sorted should not be a problem.

For any more advice my consultancy rates are by request, my real email address is tim at timkemp dot net.

Oh and retract the retard bit as well, or my son with CP will be coming round to show you what "retard" means to someone.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

you could do with losing an "o" in "loose" (sic)

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I'm by no means representing the company. This is a personal account and a personal post. and i posted asking for opinons on the subject i've read them and not rubbished any nor argued any points...except trying to correct you misunderstanding of my posts without much success.

i'm not trying to argue with you, your entitelded to an opinion i've not tryed to say your wrong.

i'm sorry if the term "retard" caused you offence.

i'm not trying to change your opinion your welcome to it.

I havn't whined once actually. not even a little bit. simply posted about a topic that being widely discussed across various newsgroups and forums.

I suggested

back in the black? we've never once posted anything but a profit...takeover? I think not. .

Plusnet

I doubtyour OPINION will be reflected in our signup numbers in fact it isn't.

Noted.

I wasnt aware of your personal situation. i'll be more careful with my wording in the future.

as far as i'm aware using naughty wrods on usent isn't a criminal offence .

ho-hum :o)

Mason

Reply to
Mason

80k DSL users makes you bigger a lot of other ISPs, and small ISPs are always targets for takeovers from larger ISPs due to the economies of scale of backhaul and infrastructure.

What about your churn rates?

Thankfully not ;-) some of us choose not to use them though...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Churn rates for this month will be higher as we're allowing all the "bad boys" to migrate away regardless of contract term etc.

signups seem perfectly normal...hovering arund the 200 per day mark.

Ask me next month. This month's churn rate will artificially high.

so surely I can choose to use them without silly threats flying about? i'm not at work when i'm posting in here.

see how civilised it all becomes whn you chill out :o)

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Then why didn't PlusNet would have actually thought these things through

*before* offering unlimited bandwidth to their customers?

If they had originally offered an 80GB/month limit for a similar price, they wouldn't be in the shit that they are now. All but 243 of their customers would have probably been quite happy with that limit, and those 243 would have had to try and find somewhere else to download 640GB/month from for next to nothing.

Only a total retard would start up a company offering a service that is not sustainable whilst still making a profit.

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in it's lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Nobody looses money. It's due to loose not being a verb. A fair few people lose money though. The other day I lost £6. Well, I say lost - I spilt two expensive pints of lager.

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in it's lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

what i dont understand is why you refer to a product that is not sustainable for 0.3% of our userbase as "unsustainable"

I'd think that 99.7 percent sustainability is fine for any product in any company.

Reply to
Mason

"your opinion"

"you're welcome to it"

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in it's lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

When the only thing you can do to respond to a post is to pick at the spelling and grammar you may as well give up ;o)

Mason

Reply to
Mason

I refer you my response to your last post.

If you cant think of any beter way to respond than picking on spelling/grammer then dont bother ;o)

is it supposed to humiliate me or something?

i'm hung over and tired. The state of my typing really isn't the issue here :o)

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Yeah, your right their. But it's not the only thing I can do, it's just what I choose to do some of the time. De temps en temps I actually post something reasonably intelligent.

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in it's lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

move north - still under 2 quid a pint up here, even stella is 2.30 ish

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

£1.30 a pint in my local :o) 10p for a game of pool.
Reply to
Mason

As much as that?

Reply to
SteveH

Normally it's not that bad down here - this was just at a hotel where my work's xmas do was last night, so bound to be more pricey.

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in it's lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

(googles.... )

nope, can't find any evidence of that Peter.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Intelligence is very subjective.