(ot) FAO ADSL users.

utilizing the service offered, someones elses usage is their business.

Not so, there is software that simply queues downloads, it's not rocket science and it doesn't take long.

20 gig a day 4-5 dvd-r's
Reply to
Johnny

250GB external drives are cheap (£120) but most of what you download doesn't necessarily stay on your hard drive, streaming radio or video sources for example. (Streaming video can easily uses masses of bandwidth)
Reply to
Depresion

Bleh, typo demons.

It should have read.. : I would sue. Unless someone called sue would like me to take them....

By the same token, I pay for something I use an awful lot - but I pay for an unlimited service. I would be very annoyed if an unlimited service proved to be limited (ie.. plusnet now and plusnet of the past).

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

Ah, the joy of being a programmer is that you can automate most of it ;)

DVDr

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

"Depresion" wrote

I just had a thought, perhaps they are student houses with say 4 or 5 students in there, all sharing a fat connection, all downloading a lot of movies, mp3s and nude photographs.

They are only 0.3% of the userbase though. When you think of the much higher percentage of chavs we all have to put up with polluting the gene pool with their underage, inbred pregnancies and clogging up the roads (going round, and round and round and round the town centre) with their paintcan exhaust novas.

Reply to
fishman

"Johnny" wrote

Ok so I don't have a water meter, I pay rates. I'm going to leave all my taps on all day and all night. Because next door don't do the same it's alright.

You have to do a lot of research to find enough stuff to download 600 gig a month, and that can't be automated

That's a PITA to do and it takes quite long to burn a whole DVD

The only people would be doing it is because they're making money out of it, like pirating movies or something. Or they are utter, utter geeks.

Reply to
fishman

Watched 2DTV last night...

Rupert.. Rupert the chav.

How I laughed.

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

Being connected doesn't instantly fill your download bandwidth, most people don't just download stuff for the hell of it. If you are using all that water then it's ok my me, if you are just letting it run down the drain then you need to think about it. An analogy to broad band would be leaving a streaming TV station on all the time but not watching it.

Reply to
Depresion

It's a very weak argument. A more accurate analogy is that you have a water meter fitted and pay in advance for an unlimited amount of water but the company start whining when you utilize the service fully and kill the pressure.

one website to see whats out - one program to search for them - it doesnt take that long.

It's an irrelevance, value judgements like that have no bearing on anything - if the service offered is unsustainable (it's not actually but it's about making as much profit as possible out of everyone) it should not be offered in the first place then it simply doesn't ever become an issue.

Reply to
Johnny

It's just an exercise to free up bandwidth so it can be resold and boost the pay cheques of the MDs.

Reply to
Depresion

One thing though - with all these people utilising the max bandwidth all of the time and people like plusnet paying for it (at the moment) - then surely due to supply and demand it will bring the wholesale price of bandwidth down, and make it cheaper for everyone. Maybe.

Peter

-- "The humble bic biro draws 13 beards, 9 devil moustaches and 49 penises on newspapers in it's lifetime."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

that's the damned straight truth - resold to high premium low usage users. Their bandwidth load hasn't been massively affected at all by this either it's simply about cramming the network with profitable users and getting rid of those using the service offered to is full extent. If by customers using the service offered to it's full extent the company takes a loss then it's a piss poor marketing exercise.

Reply to
Johnny

Well that would be stupid, as that would be running it for the sake of it.

Um no. You just have to have the correct tools. It can take upto 10 mins a day to decide what to download. Scary huh.

Um.. yeah, right. 16x writer writing to 8x media.... ooo takes just over 7 mins to write 4.36gb.

That's it ! They MUST be making money from it. Damn, now if only I could figure out how....

Ah, so they are doing booties with films, games and pr0n. Now that would be illegal (and stupid). Not to mention it would take up your saturdays and sundays.

Geeks of the world unite.... or something.

Was it not "geeks" who created the Internet ? Kind of fitting they should be allowed to use it.

nm

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

the top 0.3% - they will move on to the next 0.3% then the next 0.3% etc. What they're after is a network full of premium paying customers hardly using the service they're paying for. You see the thing is if they go down this road then logically those who do hardly use the service they're paying for surely have a case that they deserve a rebate. Mobile phone companies don't have this problem. Imagine your phone company whining because you use all your free minutes every month and subsequently reducing the number of your free minutes.

Reply to
Johnny

Remember the Greeks shall inherit the earth. Or something like that. It strikes me the last thing any ISP would want is a bunch of geeks angry at them.

Reply to
Depresion

Me too it seems, amazing how PlusNet seem to think that it is acceptable to advertise connections without download limits indeed to boast that no extra charge will be made irrespective of download volume then to whine when customers take them at face value.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And a company offering unlimited downloads then seeking to breach the term of its contract, why is that not "taking the piss"? Not only that, but the company is doing exactly the same thing that it did several years ago - playing fast and loose with the meaning of the word "unlimited".

Here for PlusNet and its sycophants is the meaning of unlimited (OED)

unlimited adj. without limit; unrestricted; very great in number or quantity.

So having offered "unlimited" access why is PlusNet acting all surprised when some users make use of the facility which PlusNet has contracted to supply? PlusNet do not have a leg to stand on, and if they attempt to impose restrictions or to boot off these individuals then PlusNet will be in the wrong, they will be in breach of contract.

Reply to
Steve Firth

What they want is a bunch of users hardly using the service they're paying for.

Reply to
Johnny

Kind of like everyone having fast cars and a 70mph speed limit...

Reply to
Carl Smith

a) You're talking bollocks.

One way of eating up that bandwidth is to watch pay for view movies or even to watch the BBC or listen to radio. I often tune into a blues radio station in the USA while working and none of that is stored on my local HD, just played back through the speakers. So I can see how someone could rattle up a fair bit of bandwidth just on entertainment.

I'm surprised, or at least saddened that you think that the only possible use of bandwidth is piracy. And what the f*ck is it to do with you whether the users are "geeks" or not? It was "geeks" who built the bloody internet and casting insults at people does no legitimise PlusNet reneging on contracts.

Reply to
Steve Firth