07 JBL MP3 CD Player - no fast forward?

----- Why not borrow money for a new car?

Reply to
mark digital©

'Cause it costs a whole lot less in the long run to pay cash up front, rather than take out a loan - which involves interest. But not everyone has that much cash hanging around that can be spent all at once on a car (or anything else).

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

The one with the pretty multi-colored arrows going hither and yon, and the bar graphs that bounce up and down, and the numbers gyrating--the video game that gives anal people an outlet to express their anal-retentiveness out on public roadways as they impede the rest of the world, all in an effort to eke out that next tenth of a miles-per-gallon measurement or make the arrows change around as they dance, or not, on the gas pedal.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world is behind them single file, unable to pass, as the Prius goes 3mph because the driver wants to keep it going on the battery "just a little bit longer" so he'll have something to talk about on the Prius web board when he gets home.

Because that's his sole interaction with other people.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

----- "Never ever?" or Not even a "little bit?" Let's hear from Richard since he's the one that made the statement, "No one should ever borrow money to buy a new car".

mark_

-----

Reply to
mark digital©

I understand the concern, but I think I've found a pretty solid way of choosing a used car. I've only bought three new cars in my entire life, so much of this came from experience:

1) Do your homework. Visit auto forums covering the car you are interested in. People are usually pretty honest about cars to stay away from and about common trouble points. For example, I found pretty much all Subarus have head gasket problems, with the popular 2.5L engine being especially susceptible. Most Taurus automatics die around 150K miles. Not for me, thanks. 2) Look for cars with at least 80K miles on the odometer. My best cars had 100K - 170K on the odometer when I bought them. At 50K miles it is hard to tell how a car has been treated; at 100K it is hard to hide. A car in good shape after 100K+ should give at least another 100K good service. My daughter's Honda (bought at 163K miles) has over 230K now and is still solid. 3) Check the radiator for traces of rust and the oil filler (with a flashlight) for signs of deposits. Walk away if you see either. I've paid enough on those problems to cover you and me both :-( 4) If the car needs regular timing belt replacement (the Prius doesn't), expect to do that immediately unless the seller has a specific receipt with the date and mileage. Budget about $500 US. 5) Body rust - you are on your own on that. We don't have it here in Arizona. 6) Expect to spend more for repair than on a new car. Doing it yourself is even better. In 70K miles and 6 years my daughter's Honda has cost about $1500 in repairs and lost about that amount in depreciation. It stranded her once when the igniter died. Compare that with car payments, depreciation and license and insurance costs for a new car and it looks mighty attractive to a student with a DIYer or two in the family.

I bought my own 2002 Prius with 103K miles on the odometer after less than half an hour lookover and test drive. For the Prius that includes a peek at the underside for signs of road hazard impact and a review of the maintenance records. I'll be shocked if it doesn't go more than 200K miles.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I'm with you on pretty much all that, Elmo. I'd better take my temperature... I must have a fever. ;-)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Ah, but what would that cash be earning? I took a loan at 3.79 APR when I bought my Prius in September, 2004. My investments have performed better than that since that, plus I have a savings account that earns about 5% interest.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

Now, not much.

I took a loan at 3.79 APR when

Then count yourself lucky, re: 5%.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

"Michael Pardee" ...

Can't I just call you and have you choose one for me? You sound like you have some great luck, on top of smarts...

I'm lacking in both when it comes to used cars. I've bought 3 of those (granted, none were Toyotas), but have had disastrous results.

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

There's no luck involved since anyone who wants such an account can open one. Well, I'm only familiar with what's available in the US...

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

In the not practicing what I preach department: If you have to finance a car, then when the car is paid off, put the amount of your payments into a savings account of some kind to accumulate interest. When the amount gets high enough to buy a new car, buy one if you want. Whether or not you buy one, keep making that monthly payment to yourself. The longer you put off buying that car, the more you will have towards its replacement.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Open a savings account at ING.com and you too can draw 5% interest.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Oh gawd....another liberal coward.

Run from the war on terror.....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Are there really still people in the US who are dumb enough to believe in Bush's phony "war on terror" ?

^^^^^^^

Ah - that explains it.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Russell

Is there anyone in the world that believes the liberal cowards will fight the terrorists?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

LOL!! Gotcha now. It makes me nervous and I do pay way too much attention to it when it's on. So does my DH. I just want to drive the car and let the car do whatever it does.

- Piper

Reply to
Piper

I don't see anyone "fighting terrorists". All I see is the dipsomaniac cocaine-snorting deserter and his supporters sending young men to their deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan so that Bush, Cheney and their pals can line their pockets. Is that what you mean by "fighting the terrorists" ?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Russell

Or:

Mike Rosenberg

Oh gawd, another person responding to something in a signature.

Reply to
Mike Rosenberg

Buy something from a car rental company. They've been maintained and sell for cheap.

A new car is a luxury. It is foolish to borrow money to buy luxuries.

Reply to
richard schumacher