GM Working On A 'Mustang Competitor'!!

Page 3 of 16

It's also currently the fastest production truck in the world. I know is gonna come back with something to beat it so no fears. The one thing I HAVE to laugh at re: the SRT-10 is that, get this, you void the warranty if you tow anything with it!!! OMG!! How stupid is that? At least with the Lightning you can hook up your trailer and take your stang to the show in style. LMAO!
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS

Where'd you hear that? I just looked at the warranty and it doesn't say anything about that. http://www.dodge.com/crossbrand/warranty/pdf/04SRT10.pdf

dept at a Dodge dealership. I also heard it on TV during one of those "test drive" TV shows. One of the big gripes about it from the testers was that as a truck, it was basically useless. One said to just buy the Viper. I can't for the life of me remember which show it was.
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS

We got something from Dodge on the SRT-10 and I don't really remember much of it, but I think that they can't have much or anything in the bed. I also believe that I didn't see a towing weight thing like on other trucks. I guess it's not meant to be used as a truck then.

Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS
Are you serious?
Maybe it's a Viper tranny too?
Not made for load, but for performance only!
Refinish King
wrote

wrote

be used to tow a trailer.
wrote

An SRT-10 isnt a pick-up...its a Viper with a pick up body on it. It is NOT designed, or made for you going camping in. It IS designed to be the meanest son of a bitch on the planet with a bed....kinda like the Tomahawk is NOT designed for a crotch rocket rider, since he wont know what to do with a V-10 crammed between his legs. It is a TOY. If you cant afford it, (meaning, you need a Cummins, but you get the SRT, and then screw up your warranty by that 5th wheel in the bed,) dont cry about it....its just a toy.
Then again, my 48 Anglia is just a toy....no longer a Ford, but a Ford body on a tubular chassis, with Mopar all over it.
BTW..whats the towing capacity on a Lightning anyway? I know what my 2500 and 3500s can tow.....:)
Carolina Breeze HVAC wrote:

I dunno what they are rated at, but I know with my '94 I had no problems towing an open car trailer with a '92 mustang on it. I have also towed a bass boat with absolutely no problems, and had a shitload of stuff in the bed. I also know a guy who has a '99 that he always tows his mustang with. Its cool cause he tows his mid 11 mustang to the track then unhooks the truck and runs mid 12's with the truck. How many people have 12 second tow vehicles, lol?? Erik D. '94 white lightning
Charles Bendig wrote:

The SSR is a turd. It looks nice, gets alot of attention, has some neat features, and drives nice, but for almost 50,000 bucks I wouldn't even consider buying one. My 10 year old 150,000 mile F150 wears the SSR out over and over again. My truck is a lightning but its basically stock and runs a measly 14.85(consistent 14.9's). I haven't seen the SSR on a track yet but if I had to guess I would say high high 15's or maybe even low 16's but thats just a guess. Erik D. '94 white lightning
Oui, Oui:
Would you like some cheese with your whine?
Refinish King

I don't think Erik's too far off base. The SSR could have been one hell of a truck, but they wussed out. Dodge is stuffing Viper engines in their race truck, Ford's upping the ante some with the new Lightning that's due out. GM stuffed the same drivetrain that they're putting in everything that's RWD into the fat SSR.
Personally, I don't think it even looks good. In fact, it hurts the eyes to look at that billboard. But that's just me. Give it some balls... at least make it an fast turd.
Speaking of fast turds... a salesman tried to talk me into a Lancer Evo the other day. I don't care how fast it is, or what kind of go-fast aftermarket goodies come stock... I couldn't push myself into it every morning. But I at least respect it when I pull up next to one on the street.
I'm rambling now... time for bed.
JS

Now that the Holden is coming to the US shores as a GTO, why not the Holden Ute badged as an El Camino? Same drive train if I recall correctly.
Why does Australia get that cool stuff first? -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

So we can get a dressed up cavalier with a trunk bed? They should change the styling to something a bit more aggressive, and soon.

Better designers?
--
Scott W.
'66 Mustang HCS

Seems GM's main lines are focused on the SUVs... probably more so than any other automaker. Even Cadillac has one. 15 years ago, did you envision a Cadillac truck? I think this would fit right into their plans, actually.
I agree though... not liking SUVs... I find their line (other than the 'vette) either visually boring or even appalling. The GTO should have a sport option on it... lighter weight, tighter suspension, etc. Make it their pony car... and put a curve or two into it. The goat, while a fine car, is a bit bland visually, and for the performance driver, according to the reviewers.

Hey, they still have the Falcon (named the GT now I believe) down under, and it's quite a cool lil' car at that.
As to why they get it, I have no idea. Fewer restrictions? Different laws? Better taste? People who buy for function and not form?
JS
wrote

GM's SUV's these days are Civilized for the most part. They have done away with the 2 door Small & Full size Blazers. They have way to many 'Cute Ute's that were never intended to go off roading.
If You look at a 71 Blazer, it's a totally different beast then the new Tahoe. Made for two totally different types of driving. Makes someone like me sick just thinking about it.

Yes they flopped on the styling. Yet it's a start. Maybe they will bring back more RWD platforms.

Both Ford & GM sell some cool rides down under. Even some of the European cars are cool.

Part of it is emissions, part is different regulations. There is also a stronger import market. While new Import sales are not that large, huge volumes of used Japanese vehicles are brought in straight from Japan. I have a friend who is a shipping clerk for a company that brokers cars in Australia. Most cars she handles are not over 3 years old. That's one hell of a competition for GM & Ford. Charles
wrote

Or that Lincoln would have a truck?
Don Manning
I think this would fit right into their plans, actually.

Some kind of a ram air hood would be nice, too. -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

At least the SSR looks cool. In the hands of Refinish King & My self, after mods, iot would whipe your truck off the road. Charles A bow-tire is better then a blue oval any day.

Not that is the sorriest kind of bench racing -- the old, "Vehicle 'X' is NOT an overpriced P.O.S. With mods A, B, C it'll kick butt." Plug in any vehicle you want, from a Chevette to a Citation, and that statement is going to be true.
The question with the SSR is, why would you want to do it? The base list price is $42,000. (All these numbers are from C&D's Sptember '03 road test. (As tested price was $48,980.) For that you get a 323 ci pushrod Gen 3 making just 300 hp and 331 lb-ft, trying, desperately TRYING, to motivate a 4764 lb. curb weight. (Add two people 180 lb people and top off the 25 gallon tank and thos 323 cubes are dealing with 5299 lbs!) Car & Driver got 0 to 60 in 7.0 secs and the quarter mile in 15.4 sec @ 89 mph. Not bad numbers, but definitely in the generic fart-canned Civic's neighborhood.
So pray tell, what are the mods you and Refinish King would perform on this overweight, overpriced turd to give it street credibility?

That's sad. Which "bow-tire" vs. which Blue Oval are you talking about? What does Chevy have to match the Lightning, the Mustang GT or Cobra, the Ford GT, the Thunderbird, or even the Crown Vic?
180 Out TS 28