New tyres

If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck and talks bollox all the time, it's a troll.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Told you.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Oh, f*ck.....

Reply to
SteveH

Peter (petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's your licence that the three points PER BALD TYRE will go onto.

And then you wonder why every car they've ever had has needed to be scrapped early?

Reply to
Adrian

Tim S Kemp ( snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oh, god, not this one again....

Look, it's worn the fronts out, the backs have cracked. Which end's working them harder? Don't you think that's the end that deserves the newer tyres?

Reply to
Adrian

oh god.

Reasons to put new tyres on the back. Always.

  1. FWD car - oversteer is not a desirable thing day to day for Mr Average
  2. FWD car - You will never need to buy 4 new tyres at a time
  3. FWD car - Low mileage drivers will likely never wear out a set of rears so they will crack and degrade before they wear out
  4. RWD car - oversteer is not a desirable thing day to day for Mr Average
  5. RWD car - it is unlikely you will need to buy 4 new tyres at a time.
  6. AWD car - oversteer is not a desirable thing day to day for Mr Average

Reasons not to = none.

Next?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

And this is the reason why a) Stupid people should drive, and b) Why they shouldn't breed either.

If there's a tyre that has the tread almost worn away a the outer edges, then it's been run too low, I expect. And it will also have massively different characteristics to the other tyre on the same axle, definitely a bad thing on fronts, especially with fwd. If the rears are crazed, then chances are they'll just lose pressure a little, I've never actually had a blowout. OTOH, your parents obviously have had enough of you, and don't care if you push your luck with the police for running illegal tyres, or end up a dark stain on the armco somewhere. I can see no other reason why they would take the slightest chance with their son's safety when it comes to such critical aspects as the round black things that keep the car on the bloody road! Or they are just mechanically challenged, in the same way a dead person is respiratory challenged.

If in doubt, get new tyres. Certainly do something about the front one. And go for a set in the 100 quid or less bracket. The way you drive means you should get 1,000,000 miles out of a set of even the cheapest crap on the market, paying 200 quid for fancy rubber is as pointless to you as buying a set of spanners.

Reply to
Stuffed

And the fun thing is, from what he's described, it'll be doing it on just one front wheel! Fantastic!

Then again, would he know wtf aquaplaning is?

Reply to
Stuffed

In article , SteveH writes

+----------+ | PLEASE | | DO NOT | | FEED THE | | NUMPTY | +----------+ | | | | .\|.||/..
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , SteveH writes

+----------+ | PLEASE | | DO NOT | | FEED THE | | NUMPTY | +----------+ | | | | .\|.||/..
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Today I looked at an old Michelin Wildgripper tyre I've got in the shed, with a view to putting it on the back of my mountain bike. I had a look and the sidewalls were perishing, and I thought "Fuck that for a game of soldiers". That's a tyre on the back of a pushbike for christ's sake, not three quarters of a tonne of metal capable of shifting at 90 miles an hour.

I've also had tyres with worn shoulders. I can tell you now that the wet handling goes to pot.

Reply to
Doki

LOL!!

Reply to
Rob

What a load of tosh. So what happens when you buy a brand new car?

Reply to
Rob

Hey, this is the first set of tyres that I've ever considered buying, and I've only got my parents words of 'wisdom' to go by :-(

Reply to
Peter

My current tyres are rubbish when it's wet. I have to go carefull not to wheel spin at junctions with just an 899cc engine. It also aquaplanes a lot, but that maybe because the tyre's worn at the edge.

Reply to
Peter

You haven't met my mum, if she tell you to do something then you do it! Believe me, I'm not going to argue with my mum, I've got to live with her :-(

Reply to
Peter

Can you describe this aquaplaning to us? At what speed is it happening? (Have you got above 50mph yet?)

clive

Reply to
Clive George

lol, my mum's terrible to her car. It's been 14 months without a service (no oil change etc) and she only drives it about 2 miles/day.

Reply to
Peter

Have you thought of explaining to her that to leave it until it goes to the metal is potentially very dangerous, plus the fact that you'll get points on your license if caught, and potentially a conviction for dangerous driving on your license if an accident occurs as a result????????????????

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yeah, slow up, don't change speed and steer smoothly.

Reply to
Peter