Anti-social vehicle - test case

The Law doesn't. A route with a Right of Way for Vehicles is a road.

Which also uses the vague term 'pavement'.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

The RTA states 'to such an extent as to be incable of having proper control of a bicycle'.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

OK, so I get a folding bike and bring it into the house dropping dirt everywhere after each trip?

My lips would crack when it's cold and I'd be soaked when it rains!

Reply to
Peter

Which is either wrong, or your memory is.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

I dismantled my gearbox and laid everything out on newspaper in the order of disassembly. I came in the following evening to find that Dad had "helpfully" put the whole lot in one large pot of paraffin to get them clean...

I did manage to reassemble it OK, though. No bits left over, anyway, and it did run afterwards.

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

Well that is at odds with my experience and Transport Trends. Does the PSI give their original source?

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

s/fridge/freezer/ - it was in the garage ;-)

For an example of low cost motoring Chapman style see:

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

The area taken up by a folded Brommie is around the size of a tabloid newspaper, closed. Doormat sized or less.

Me, I park my bike in the kitchen. On the small number of days when it actually rains enough for the bike to get significantly wet I bung a couple of old terry nappies on the floor underneath it to catch the drips.

I've never suffered cracked lips in the cold, and it only rains an average of about 20 days per year in commuting time, plus wearing modern waterproofs you don't really get wet either.

I have been using a bike for daily transport for some years and I can only recall one journey which was genuinely unpleasant, and that was because I got a puncture in the snow and didn't have the sense to go back half a mile to my nice warm office to fix it.

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

Doesn't matter, it'll still be under the fridge.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Raven

You know. I think I came across those pics of your banger long before I came to UKRC.

I cannot think how or why though.

Reply to
Simonb

In the years just before 2001, cycling time was rising faster than driving time, and fatalites falling faster, so it could have been more than 3 times.

Not according to Transport Trends. Does he give any supporting figures?

UK cyclist risk is similar to European average. The only country where cyclists are quoted to be much safer than drivers is France, which has above average driver risk.

Probably, but no such comparisons were given.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Death rates are plummetting in France. IIRC last year's total was 5000, down from around 7 or 8000 3 or 4 years ago.

Ambrose Nankivell

And what would your mother say!?

Reply to
Stuffed

Either that or you went to Southampton Uni in the late 80's...

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

Which bit is wrong? Hillman & Whitelegg being the source? I can probably go and find it if I can be bothered.

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

Impossible. They have introduced Killer Speed Cameras, which increase fatality rates by a third [(c) Psmith's Believe It Or Not].

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

Stuffed snipped-for-privacy@theworld.com opined the following...

"How old are you? Why do you still live with us? When are you going to get your own house?"

Jon

Reply to
Jon Senior

Given the current level of house prices, probably "when I inherit this one"

--

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." (WilliamPitt, 1783)

Reply to
PeterE

You're not acquainted with Peter I take it?

So far his mother is an accomplice to driving on possibly illegal tyres. Actually, she's the reason he's driving on suspect tyres it seems. Try looking his posts up on uk.r.c.m for a laugh/ horror story ;)

Reply to
Stuffed

So basically the same as "under the influence of drink or drugs" then.

Reply to
Lordy