Anti-social vehicle - test case

I can definitely dis-recommend hitting a Badger at about 170KPH. Apart from splitting the radiator and oil-cooler it even *bent* the outer tube of the steering-rack. I guess the Badger in question must have had a breezeblock or two hidden in his rucksac.

Reply to
PJML

They are roads, but the authorities are unlikely to know the lengths of them.

I expect bridleways which are not maintained by local authorites to be excluded from the figures which the local authorities publish.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Probably was, and I'm normally the first to take the piss, but the timing was less than ideal, to put it mildly :(

Shitty mood on my part, sorry.

Reply to
Stuffed

I wouldn't call that a canard, because it's pretty much true. Whether you choose that as a reason for objecting to speed cameras or a reason for objecting to reductions in traffic police depends on whether you have an axe to grind about speed cameras or not. (And whether or not you wish to introduce a red herring into the debate about whether laws should be enforced.)

Ambrose

Reply to
Ambrose Nankivell

There isn't any need for the amount of tartan old people wear. There's no excuse for people taking dogs out for a walk. There's no reason for couples to both go shopping complete with product of their loins screaming and blocking the way round. There's absolutely no need for any form of fast food, and the smells produced that waft along.

There's very little, if any need, for pretty much anything if you want to get rabid about it. Life is a means to procreate, then die. We are programmed to eat, sleep, shag and expire. Anything over and above that there is no need for.

So top listening to Radio 3, blithering around supermarkets, and tending your flowerbeds, or consider that virtually nothing we do is necessary, but because we can, we do it anyway.

Reply to
Stuffed

Except for the fact of the reduction in traffic plod being due to the absence of any meaningful traffic targets in the performance criteria by which the plod league tables are calculated, obv.

Guy

-- May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.

Just zis Guy, you know?

And the reason for that being of course that someone thinks the job can be done by a camera.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Once it's happened, they will.

I know a guy who needed half a new front-end (grill, headlight, radiator etc.) on his Volvo 850 after he hit a pidgeon at 80mph.

Reply to
Nom

I do, on a daily basis.

Read this bit again : "I suffer from Asthma. Thick clods of diesel smoke coming from our local busses, irritates me plenty. But if I see a bus coming, I get the hell out of the way - it's ME that is faulty, not the bus (although, even someone healthy would probably be irritated by the same fumes ) It would hardly be reasonable for me to expect the busses and lorries to avoid me, would it !"

begin 666 smile.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`)$!`````+^_O___`````"'Y! $```$`+ `````/``\```(N MC V9QY$"X6(@6GGJO0!)+3RA$XDA:&Y6JGXMIX$K%G,8^2EE]G:4?&ID%+Y# #`0`[ ` end

Reply to
Nom

But it doesn't cause annoyance to 99% of people. Just the ones with "hypersensitive hearing" and "moaning bastard syndrome".

See my point ?

Not at all. I'm "into cars", but the noise mine makes is 100% standard (it's a Rover 600 if you must know).

Reply to
Nom

Agreed.

But it doesn't happen, and it's not going to happen. You need to learn to live with that :)

If that really is happening at 3am, on a regular basis, then it's a bit of a different issue to the original poster's "louder-than-standard BMW, driving down his street occasionally".

Because that's what their punters like !

There's approximately no noise where I live. If you dislike it that much, then perhaps you should be living in the countryside too :)

Reply to
Nom

On a regular basis, and it wakes you up ?

If that's the case, then why did you deliberately leave that important detail out of your original post ?

Clearly loud noise at completely unsociable hours, is a bit of a different issue.

Reply to
Nom

Or maybe they have been seduced by the Daily Mail into thinking that the proper place for the police is guarding the nation's video recorders, rather than woking to reduce the thousands of deaths caused every year by clueless drivers.

Since this thread has attracted the usual uk.tosspot trolls from under their respective bridges it is clearly of no further value. It resides henceforth in my bozo bin.

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

No - the authorities know the exact length of them, because the DfT developed a computerised system based on OS data which measured the length of every road in the country (including unadopted ones) and sent the results to every local authority. See the "Special Note" in "Road Traffic Statistics 2001".

Eh? The local authorities *do* publish figures for non-maintained roads (I've just been looking at some from Cambridgeshire). Moreover, the national road length figures do *not* include only roads maintained by local authorities. If that were the case, the figures would not include motorways.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Higgons

I didn't expect the Highways Agency to maintain any bridleways. If they do, please ignore the 'local' I put before 'authorities'.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

Only because people like yourself take this attitude if more people made a point of complaining about it then the authorities would do something about it .

It does not matter a jot what time the noise is being made noise is noise I would not dream of complaining about anyone making necessary noise in the course of their days employment BUT when you get some people blasting out music for no good reason then it is time a stop was put to it . A friend said to me many years ago do what you like in life Grant just so long has you are not hurting ,harming, or causing inconvenience anyone else by what you are doing and I have always tried to live my life by this I just wish others would do the same .

You mean their UNDER AGE punters don't you ask any middle aged or older person what he/she thinks about the noise that is emitted from pubs and clubs these days !!. One good thing about it though it has saved me a lot of cash I haven't been in a pub or club for over twenty five years now due to starting to come close to having my ear drums burst with the blasted noise being made in any pub I went into.

I do live in the country but like me you must at some point have to go into a city or town and have to walk passed the noise palaces. Grant .

Reply to
Grant

Unnecessary loud noise at anytime of day or night is totally unacceptable like when you get people turning up for work in their cars at 7.30 in the morning and before entering their place of work they start shouting at the top of their voices to one another has they are getting out of their cars. And the same procedure when getting into their cars to go home at 4pm . We in our street had this to put up with every workday morning until just before last Christmas when we all got together and marched into the firms offices and made a big stink about it . Grant .

Reply to
Grant

You really are a sad, pathetic case, aren't you?

Reply to
SteveH

All thirty odd households in our street cannot be wrong IF YOU LIKE NOISE I AND MANY OTHER PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY DO NOT now FOAD . Grant .

Reply to
Grant

No. Don't confuse "not complaining" with "not causing annoyance".

Reply to
Brimstone