(ot) FAO ADSL users.

UK already has massive oversupply of bandwidth, the only reason it isn't cheap is because BT are rigging the market.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Let's get this straight, Plusnet or any ISP don't market there internet connection's unlimited, they offer uncapped this means you have no limit on the amount you can download but if you do cause the company grief by downloading 24/7 they will do somthing about it.

Plusnet have decided and rightly so to move all the high usage people onto there own pipe leaving the people who dont want to download and enforcing the 50:1 contention ratio onto them.

The water analogy is very good, its a bit like the peckham spring episode of OFAH when del starts flogging tap water, these people are mostly selling the stuff they download. or making CD for friends etc and this needs to be stopped.

If you start using too much water the water board will insist you use a water meter, and by the way water is a nessesity, bandwidth isnt.

Just because you have bigger taps fitted it doesnt mean you have to consume or use more water, it's common sense and people who are downloading this amount of stuff are not using it, and I would imagine they are just downloading for the sake of it.

When 56k was unmetered back in the 90's ISP's offered it as "unlimited" and usually went bust a few months later, leaving us with 10 months of a 1yr subs paid but not connection. Thats why ISP's offer "uncapped" now

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

SMB

Reply to
Ronny

go, read, come back and comment.

The actual word used is "Unlimited" in the bandwidth column. Not uncapped.. or quite a bit.. but Unlimited.

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

It doesn't hold water if you pardon the pun, the bigger taps are simply the

512kb, 1mb and 2mb services, the extent to which those "taps" are then left on or used is determined by a further premium which sets a limit on the amount allowed within the price plan. Top of that scheme was the unlimited option, now you slice it anyway you want, unlimited is what it means and (was) marketed as such. I notice it looks like there's some web alterations ongoing on their website now to cover their tracks. The simple fact is they've offered a premium service they can't sustain and are blaming their marketing strategy failure on those customers using the service offered to it's full extent. The truth is it isn't the disaster for them it's being made out to be it's just that these small bunch of users aren't profitable and could be replaced with many more profitable premium paying customers. That what it's really about. One solution is to simply offer a sustainable service in the first place then there's no need to blame the customers who use it fully and no ambiguity. Plusnet even during this episode have been cagey about clearly stating numbers and limits and what constitutes fair use, they've been as clear as mud about it.
Reply to
Johnny

NTL did, they then claimed not to have after they attempted to cap the service.

I assume you've never used internet TV, high bandwidth demands totally legal and not the type of thing you can sell on. I know many "heavy" users who would fall foul of the caps that some ISPs think is reasonable to impose who don't sell what they download most don't download illegal files at all.

You would think the industry would learn from it's previous mistakes rather than repeat them. Unfortunately they didn't mainly because the "unlimited" service they were advertising was a good draw for customers. Now they can cash in by cutting the usable bandwidth and reselling what's left to other users.

Reply to
Depresion

Utterly incorrect, PlusNet marketed their connections as "without limit" and "without extra charges". They offer a capped service at a lower price than these unlimited services and therefore it is clear that at the time of sale PlusNet understood full well the difference between a limited and an unlimited connection and that it is reasonable for any user to consider that having paid a premium price they are entitled to make use of downloads of up to 2Mb/s 24/7. Because this is what they paid for.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So sign up with Pipex then what has that got to do with Plusnet?

I searched the Plusnet site and can find no reference to "unlimited" if they have removed the "unlimited" bit then I am sorry, but as far as I can see there is no reference to it.

Lol pipex :)

Reply to
ron

IS it? I said they DO NOT SAY UNLIMITED please read my post.

The do offer a capped service of XGb per month, so does this mean there uncapped service means you can download 1000GB?

OF course it doesnt, ADSL works on a contention system, what they have done is perfectly fair, and if they dont like it they can move, Carl has given a link to Pipex who offer "unlimited" bandwidth, if they stop you downloading

600Gb then somthing is wrong, because unlimited does mean unlimited
Reply to
ron

Not when plus.net use the word it doesn't :) yes, they have removed it from their website FWIW. I paid a one off annual contract fee for 2MB homeworker premium service 3 months ago plus the 40 quid a month (which is/was 20 quid for 2mb link + 20 quid for unlimited download) in advance I pay now. If they refund my contract fee then i'll happily move, they haven't got a leg to stand on.

Reply to
Johnny

Theres only so much "entertainment" you can watch and unless you dont sleep and "watch" or "listen" to american radio you still wont rack up 600Gb, I have Energy radio on which is one of the highest feeds around and still dont get any where that, so stop kidding yourself these people use it legititmatly.

Everyone downloads music/Pr0n/movies but some people take the piss and you know it, so why stick up for them?

Reply to
ron

And do you download 200Gb a month every month? have you been moved to the high user pipe? did you get the letter/email from plusnet?

If you did and the terms and conditions have changed like you said then ask them if you can move, remember that terms and conditions are deemed as accepted after a certain period of time, as long as they have given you notice.

If your not in the above list then why are you worried?

Reply to
ron

No they dont, they want a sustainable buisness plan that doesnt cost them £1000 per person, if you go to BT and ask for bandwidth you will be charged between £1 and £2 per Gb so thats 1200 quid for Mr Leech,

Bandwidth isnt cheap and many ISP's are barely surviving, its a cut throat world out there, so having people soak up your profits like that is not good practice.

Whether they offer you "unlimited" "uncapped" "high use" you still should treat it with respect, use it, enjoy it but why take the piss?

Reply to
ron

It's hardly surprising they will have removed it after they started this tactic.

Reply to
Depresion

What he downloads and if they have moved him to the other pipe doesn't matter, what matters is they have changed what they offer, presumably with no compensation for the reduction in service.

Reply to
Depresion

dude, don't want to argue about this too much but apply some logic for goodness sake. What are you saying its ok to do illegal stuff but not too often, keep a lid on it? It's irrelevant what the bandwidth is used for. The problem is with the contract, the service being offered not being financially viable, plusnet being dishonest. A contract to have unlimited bandwidth is just that - end of story. If it's unsustainable and they cannot honour their side of contract they have absolutely no damned business offering it in the first place.

Reply to
Johnny

I utilize my connection to the extent I need, I knew what I wanted when I entered the agreement, that is why I signed for the package being offered at the time. What I have now is almost useless.

I am in the list, I'm on the low speed pipe now, 10-20k/s on a 2MB line.

Reply to
Johnny

Yes, you were incorrect, wrong, your statement was false, in error, mistaken.

Please read PlusNet's advertising they used the term "unlimited" and they currently say "without limit". If you can find a difference in meaning between "unlimited" and "wihout limit" then you are doing better than the compilers of the OED who give both terms as synonyms.

Not that you care because you're obviously trying to swivel on a definition and save your face. Don't bother, you still look stupid for trying.

The fact that say "without limit" and "...one convenient monthly subscription payment, with no additional costs for extra data transfer." Makes it very clear what service they were offering. A service with no limits on download. That's as much as can be sucked down over whatever speed link the user has paid for.

Indeed PlusNet make it clear that they expect the service to be used to download 10MB of data a minute, that is 14GB/day 420GB/month. No mention of a limit.

No because that would be impossible over a 2Mb ADSL line. See above and stop being a silly bugger by using inflated figures.

No it is not, what they have done is to use misleading, false, advertising to attract customers. When customers use the service as advertised PlusNEt scream "not fair" and attempt to renege on the contract.

If they don't like it they can sue PlusNet's arse into the ground for breach of contract, and I hope they do.

Which is the problem that PlusNet has to face up to. Running around "fixing up" their website retrospectively won't save their arses.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It doesn't matter what you "think", the customers that PlusNet is referring to have paid for a service. PlusNet themselves are not alleging that fraudulent use is being made of the service, they are leaving that to lackwits such as yourself.

Most ISPs run their business responsibly and take care to advertise the services that they sell accurately. PlusNet have chosen to make misleading claims and then to renege on thos claims when it suits them. Not for the first time either.

Why stick up for them?

The customers that have aggrieved PlusNet have used their connection entirely within the terms of service published by PlusNet. Why attack them with specious made-up bollocks as you are doing?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Why should a service sold as "unlimited" or "without limit" be treated as anything other than a service without limits?

If you buy a bar of chocolate, do you expect the manufacturer to come along and take 90% of it back after sale because they made a mistake and didn't mean to give you a bar that size?

Reply to
Steve Firth