Latest threads in Car Maintenanceshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Princess Calipers
Why are Austin Princess brake calipers supposed to be so good, and used for upgrades on many cars? Why are they superior when compared to others? Paul
12
12

Building a new headlamp loom
I want to build a relay switched headlamp loom for my MK2 Golf, which has famously crap lights. Broadly speaking, I'll be following the guide here: 've got a couple of questions 1) Most headlamp looms...
9
9

106 Starting issues
Posted for a friend - 1.1 (actually it might be a 1.0 heh) 106. "Well lets give you complete rundow of what happens:- I turn the key I hear the fuel pump initialize If ive been driving a while it will...
3
3

Instrument Panel Died.
[Citroen Xsara 2.0 HDI] A couple of days ago my spedo, rev counter, fuel gauge, and indicator erm.. indicators [possibly more]didn't work. The warning light for the passenger air bag light up. I...
2
2

socket set case
Hi, I've got a very good stanley socket set that I've had for years but the injection moulded plastic case has almost completely fallen apart now. Does anyone know where I might get a replacement...
13
13

Headlamp washers
Do headlamp washers usually have their own pump or do they run off the washer pump? I presume they normally run whenever the the windscreen washers do?
7
7

Cold Starting Problem
Hello again group... In response to previous thread, I've replaced HT leads, spark plugs, air filter and PCV valve on my 1999 Escort petrol. I've noticed that this hasn't cured the cold starting...
7
7

'96 Escort rear window handle
My son has a '96 Escort and wants to take the door trim off the rear OS door to investigate/fix a problem with the opener. Any idea how to get the window winder handle off? No visible screws or...
4
4

Citreon Xsara HDI starter
I've got an X reg Xsasa Diesel HDi 90BHP which needs a starter. Since its cold & dark outside (!), would appreciate any tips for changing this. i.e what access is like, how do you get to it, need to...
2
2

peugeot 406 airbag light and ecu
HOW DO THEY DO THAT HIJACK THING?? Presumably they just set up an account in OE, or any news reader, using the same details as the person you want to hijack. There are no checks as to displayed name...
25
25

Spraying this time of year
Im thinking of spraying my car in good old fashioned cellulose, this would be inside a barn to protect it from the elements, but humidity is high this time of year (my humidity gauge is showing...
3
3

2001 Focus 1.6 Zetec-S engine HT Leads
I'm going to replace the HT leads soon on my Focus. Is it wise to stick with genuine Ford or are the Pumaspeed Blues a good alternative? Morse
15
15

Y reg Shogun Classic Diesel starting problem
Wifes car would not start the other day. Took booster box, started first time {her batt not flat though] Did a 30mile round trip and blasted it. Drove like a dream all 30m. Following morning, same...
4
4

Plastic repairs
I've got a couple of bits for my MK2 Golf that could do with fixing - an arch spat with a crack in it near the bottom (£46 plus the dreaded!?!), and a couple of sill covers with bits and bobs of...
7
7

Unever tyre wear
Is it possible to narrow down the cause of this? O/S front tyre, nearly bald on inner 20% of tread, 6-8mm over rest of tread. The N/S front tyre wear is even. Sierra 1.8LX 1990
1
1