Corsa Turbo

I was only talking about your nova in the first part, i thought you said it was a calibra turbo o_0.

Reply to
REMUS

In news:417001dd$0$44864$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net, Andy Laurence decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

far less frontal area? Er, have you actually seen a Calibra? As for the rolling resistance, it'll be minimal compared to trying to force a Corsa through the air at 150..

Ok, I admit my knowledge of GM engine codes is not extensive. I didn't think he was on about the Turbo one. However, I still think getting 150 mph out of a Corsa, whether Turbo, NA, or attached to the back of Thrust 2 is highly improbable. Besides, the muppets who believe a Corsa is a good car tend to also believe that a 57i kit increases power....

I've seen many a "150 mph" Nova / Corsa / Escort / Saxo / Golf run out of puff before even getting to 135.

Reply to
Pete M

no the cally Turbo was scrapped to breath some more grunt into the nova

160 bhp werent enough :)

so with a decent FMIC and a bit of tuning i should be seeing 230-240 bhp in a car that weighs about the same as an empty cornflakes box :)

Reply to
Rob

sheltered

Calibra: Height=132cm Width=170cm Estimated Frontal Area=22440cm2

Corsa: Height=142cm Width=160cm Estimated Frontal Area=22720cm2

Source:

OK, I stand corrected. However, there is little in it. Not sure of Cd on each model, but Calibra will be far better.

A 57i kit does increase power if you have a car with a poor induction system (like a Mini). Whether it does or does not though is pretty immaterial. It'll still be a bloody quick vehicle capable of over 135mph, and getting there pretty fast.

I can't say I've seen any Nova/Corsa/Escort/Saxo/Golf get anywhere near

135mph, even on the track. Castle Combe is a pretty fast circuit, and having driven round there, I'd be surprised if the saloon championship cars are topping 130mph. Probably 120mph at a push.

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

Right - done the math and I reckon (if dervmans datasheet figures for power output and top speed are right) that 220bhp gives you a 150mph potential corsa (old shape) - needs to be geared right for it. 210 in a new shape one.

Entertainment value on the spreadsheet:

car, power to make 150 mph Daewoo Matiz 260 Audi A2, 206 PT Cruise - c. 280 Grand Voyager c. 400 Citroen AX 200 Ford Ka 230 Puma 213 Ford Exporer - 690 Lada Riva - 260 A class (scary prospect) 225 Suzuki Jimny 400

Anyone trying to mod a land rover defender to hit 200 mph needs to find about 1800 bhp from somewhere, however 600bhp should sort out a 200mph smart.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

its been done, supercharged would be better, with the 4.0 conversion (irmscher or mantzel or some shit like that)

Reply to
Theo

Calibra is 0.2579, with a frontal area of 1.820m2. Corsa is 0.2668, with a frontal aread of 1.980m2. (data from snipped-for-privacy@kryton.ccm.udel.edu)

Using

Calibra @ 150mph = 113.7 horses used to overcome drag.

Corsa @ 150 = 127.9 horses to overcome drag.

My Mondeo has 115 horses, and does AFAIK around 120 at the top end. According to the maths, it needs 65 horses to overcome the aero drag, so there's a good bit of rolling resistance and transmission losses to chuck in. And gearing to factor in.

Reply to
Doki

I'll order that W12 and four turbos right now.

Reply to
Steve Firth

so a 208 bhp Corsa, even running the standard 155/13s (or whatever they are) won't do 150 then. Ta!

As for the fact that anyone who'd waste their time putting a 2.0 Turbo lump in one is going to want tyres significantly wider, therefore increasing drag, and is likely to put a big silly front bumper on - again increasing drag...

Yup, I stand by my statement.

*Bollocks* to a Corsa doing 155+

Heh, tempting (the Land rover, not the Smart thing)

I've done close to 150 in a Range Rover, but it was an Overfinch 5.7 one, and it was worryingly unstable over 130..

Reply to
Pete M

Landlord of a pub a mate of a mate of mine worked in had an Overfinch Range Rover (around P reg vintage) - took us out for a spin in it - bloody quick in a straight line, then up to a roundabout and back to where we started (pub), very quick in a straight line, but doesn't corner though! Mind you, you wouldn't expect it to really.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Same car FFS.

Reply to
Mason

In article , snipped-for-privacy@plus.net spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Yep, the Vauxhall Nova is the Opel Corsa A. the Vauxhall Corsa is the Opel Corsa B & C.

Not that difficult to work out.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

:-| i wasnt suggesting it was hard to work out.

I was suggesting the fact he owns a corsa does not entitle him to more credit than a nova owner.

Reply to
Mason

i dont own a freaking corsa

i own a nova

Reply to
Rob

so? as I said...same car. I just got my words the wrong way round :o) and seen as they are the same thing anyway......it's a bit irrelivant.

Reply to
Mason

Having owned both, I can confirm they're not - they may have, at least to start with when the Corsa B was launched, shared engines etc., but the rest is quite different.

HTH

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

The nova is a better car, its just you guys can't see past your chav hateing, to see the fact that in the past it did do well in rally/group N raceing.

Reply to
REMUS

There's a lot of cars that were great in their day, but they get superseeded. The Williams FW14B was a great car in 1992, but it wouldn't cut the mustard today, despite all the electronic gubbins and 500cc it had over today's cars. Time moves on, and whilst the old Nova was a good car, it doesn't compare. It's not that a decent Nova is any worse than a decent Nova back in 1984 when they were quite new, but that 20 years of development has made a car much better.

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Laurence

I wouldnt say thats true, I had a go in my brothers new company car which I think is a Vectra, I couldnt even tell if the engine was on and the steering left nothing to the imagination. In 20 years of development I think we have become more detached from the road, sucked in by ever tightening safety measures.

In case you didnt know Nova's Pug 205's Golf mk2's still beat 206's mk3 golf's etc... regually in group N. And the Nova GTE/GSi is better than most of the Sport Corsa range, from what i've seen.

Reply to
REMUS

Calibra is OK but horses mouth says Corsa 0.32

What did GM do to get 0.26 for the Cali? Why can't they do it now? The new Astra comes in at 0.29.

Peter Hill